New purchase of EE, help needed to stop crashes in XP

+
New purchase of EE, help needed to stop crashes in XP

Hi, I have the EE and have it all installed and patched. Attached the PC wizard file and have the latest sound/graphics drivers installed. My system meets the specs and is as follows (attched file for more detail :The Witcher EE patched from retail diskWindows XP SP22048 corsair paired memoryAMD Athlon 64 4000+Nvidia GeForce 7600 GTMain drive defragged last night with Diskeeper, applied the 'hotfix' and have tried many different resolutions (although of course the one I need/want isn't supported) but I keep getting crashes and lockups. I seem to have stabilised the game a little and the main area for crashes seems to be the inventory/map/quest etc screens when the system freezes and sound/pointer goes leaving only a reboot to get back up and running. Keyboard stops functioning etc. I've tried loads of different settings for the resolution and tweaked the advanced settings but it seems to lock-up and crash whatever I do there. I've tried several slightly older graphics and sound drivers, all do nothing to help.Any ideas that might help me? I really wouldn't mind getting past 5 minutes play without it crashing, thanks! :-\/edit:Forgot to mention, after reading tons on here I pumped up my Pagefile size, still no joy from that 'fix'/edit:Also just tried reinstalling the game, more setting/resolution combinations and disabling write cache on HD but none of those make any difference at all seriously, what planet to people who release software like this come from? So many issues on so many systems on what looks like an otherwise great game. Such a shame.Anyone able to help or point me to the soundfile fix? Whatever that is...*sigh* reminds me why I bought an Xbox 360 this, not good.[MOD]Use the MODIFY button[/MOD]

RobTreasure said:
Hi, I have the EE and have it all installed and patched. Attached the PC wizard file and have the latest sound/graphics drivers installed. My system meets the specs and is as follows (attched file for more detail :The Witcher EE patched from retail diskWindows XP SP22048 corsair paired memoryAMD Athlon 64 4000+Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT
first:*get the AMD Processor Driver: http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/dynamicDetails.aspx?ListID=c5cd2c08-1432-4756-aafa-4d9dc646342f&ItemID=173*get the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer: http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/dynamicDetails.aspx?ListID=c5cd2c08-1432-4756-aafa-4d9dc646342f&ItemID=153*get the latest nVidia driver for you: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_186.18_whql.html*get the latest DirectX for you: http://downloads.guru3d.com/DirectX-End-User-Runtimes-(March-2009)-download-1943.htmlinstall those, then run the game and do attach the file ERRLOG.TXT from The Witcher/System folder if the game crashed

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
Hi, I have the EE and have it all installed and patched. Attached the PC wizard file and have the latest sound/graphics drivers installed. My system meets the specs and is as follows (attched file for more detail :The Witcher EE patched from retail diskWindows XP SP22048 corsair paired memoryAMD Athlon 64 4000+Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT
first:*get the AMD Processor Driver: http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/dynamicDetails.aspx?ListID=c5cd2c08-1432-4756-aafa-4d9dc646342f&ItemID=173*get the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer: http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/dynamicDetails.aspx?ListID=c5cd2c08-1432-4756-aafa-4d9dc646342f&ItemID=153*get the latest nVidia driver for you: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_186.18_whql.html*get the latest DirectX for you: http://downloads.guru3d.com/DirectX-End-User-Runtimes-(March-2009)-download-1943.htmlinstall those, then run the game and do attach the file ERRLOG.TXT from The Witcher/System folder if the game crashed
I don't have dual core, I have tried the latest NVidia driver and it doesn't work very well so went back to last but one 186.something. I'll get newest DirectX but have a version from a game much newer than Witcher and as I said the game locks up and crashes so that only a reboot works so there is no error log!Aghhh makes me want to tear my hair out! :) any other ideas? Thanks for looking.

RobTreasure said:
I have tried the latest NVidia driver and it doesn't work very well so went back to last but one 186.something.
why does it not work well?can you try to run in windowed mode?can you try to disable Autosave?can you disable and quit any other running applications before starting the game? ( dvd applications / antivirus / etc )oh, BTW, the PCWizard report is incomplete, is should have around 70-80kb not 28kb !

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
I have tried the latest NVidia driver and it doesn't work very well so went back to last but one 186.something.
why does it not work well?can you try to run in windowed mode?can you disable and quit any other running applications before starting the game?oh, BTW, the PCWizard report is incomplete, is should have around 70-80kb not 28kb !
Doesn't seem to support many resolutions oddly. I'm on the very latest one now, just to test having uninstalled old with DrivercleanerPro I'll try in windowed but that uses a lot more resources, no? Why would that work and not fullscreen I wonder?Yep, i've tried twice to disable literally everything, all but absolute essentials in processes, all virus and firewall software.I'll try the windowed mode, odd that PCwizard report is small, what do you suggest?Thanks agian/update:Just tried the Windowed mode in 3 different resolutions and after 5-10 mins, each crashes to black screen with sound still active and PC speaker beeps on keyboard or mouse presses.Also just looked at GPU/CPU temps and they all look fine.Crazy stuff it really is!Edit : tried another version of PC wizard report and attached

RobTreasure said:
Doesn't seem to support many resolutions oddly. I'm on the very latest one now, just to test having uninstalled old with DrivercleanerPro I'll try in windowed but that uses a lot more resources, no? Why would that work and not fullscreen I wonder?Edit : tried another version of PC wizard report and attached
the report is still incomplete, corrupted, but it shows that you did not upgrade DirectX yet anyway and do install the AMD CPU driver toodisable Autosave ingamewhen does it crashes? what chapter? what were you doing ingame?

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
Doesn't seem to support many resolutions oddly. I'm on the very latest one now, just to test having uninstalled old with DrivercleanerPro I'll try in windowed but that uses a lot more resources, no? Why would that work and not fullscreen I wonder?Edit : tried another version of PC wizard report and attached
the report is still incomplete, corrupted, but it shows that you did not upgrade DirectX yet anyway and do install the AMD CPU driver toodisable Autosave ingamewhen does it crashes? what chapter? what were you doing ingame?
Will do.It crashes all the time. Doesn't seem dependent on what part of the game I am in, crashes on looking at menus mostly although not all the time. I get 'jitters' and pixels out on the screen as a warning a few seconds before, i've had a cpu/gpu temp monitor program running and neither overheat when this happens.UPDATE - Just installed all that stuff, disabled Autosave and tried in fullscreen and window... 2 more lock up crashes. ???

RobTreasure said:
It crashes all the time. Doesn't seem dependent on what part of the game I am in, crashes on looking at menus mostly although not all the time. I get 'jitters' and pixels out on the screen as a warning a few seconds before, i've had a cpu/gpu temp monitor program running and neither overheat when this happens.
get OCCT and run the Power Supply test for two hours

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
It crashes all the time. Doesn't seem dependent on what part of the game I am in, crashes on looking at menus mostly although not all the time. I get 'jitters' and pixels out on the screen as a warning a few seconds before, i've had a cpu/gpu temp monitor program running and neither overheat when this happens.
get OCCT and run the Power Supply test for two hours
OK but really, wow. Well it's a pretty good new branded PSU and have never had any issues before, seriously, could it be that as opposed to the program itself?

RobTreasure said:
OK but really, wow. Well it's a pretty good new branded PSU and have never had any issues before, seriously, could it be that as opposed to the program itself?
if the whole system is freezing i am thinking that maybe something else is at faultif only the game was at fault it would just crash, it will not drag the whole operating system after itselfthat test is not only for the PSU, it does stress the PSU because it stresses both the CPU and the video card at the same timeanother thing, a memtest should be useful too: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=38238

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
if the whole system is freezing i am thinking that maybe something else is at faultif only the game was at fault it would just crash, it will not drag the whole operating system after itselfthat test is not only for the PSU, it does stress the PSU because it stresses both the CPU and the video card at the same timeanother thing, a memtest should be useful too: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=38238
Just run memtest with 0 errors.

Turn off depth of field, and then restart the game, the 7600 really does not like it. If that doesn't work, then try below.Then, here is what I did to fix the problem.You need to do a clean re-install of the Witcher first. A file was corrupted by our video card when it attempted to run a certain graphic. Or at least, that's what I was told. In any case, this solution did work. After uninstalling the Witcher, you need to delete the folder in My Documents, (copy the savegames somewhere first), and the one in My Shared Documents as well, then run disk cleanup/defrag on whatever drive the Witcher was installed to.Then reinstall it. If this has worked, you should be able to test it by starting the Witcher up before applying the EE.I'm not entirely sure this will work, I never ran into something this serious, it just randomly crashed on killing moves. Still, if you haven't tried a clean re-install before, it's worth a shot.

Slicer77 said:
You need to do a clean re-install of the Witcher first. A file was corrupted by our video card when it attempted to run a certain graphic. Or at least, that's what I was told. In any case, this solution did work. After uninstalling the Witcher, you need to delete the folder in My Documents, (copy the savegames somewhere first), and the one in My Shared Documents as well, then run disk cleanup/defrag on whatever drive the Witcher was installed to.
there is no need to delete the My Documents folders, they only hold the savegamesbut, on a reinstall, it's necessary to delete the game folder that remains after the uninstall process

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
You need to do a clean re-install of the Witcher first. A file was corrupted by our video card when it attempted to run a certain graphic. Or at least, that's what I was told. In any case, this solution did work. After uninstalling the Witcher, you need to delete the folder in My Documents, (copy the savegames somewhere first), and the one in My Shared Documents as well, then run disk cleanup/defrag on whatever drive the Witcher was installed to.
there is no need to delete the My Documents folders, they only hold the savegamesbut, on a reinstall, it's necessary to delete the game folder that remains after the uninstall process
Have done one reinstall already but didn't do that, i'll try that now. Thanks slicer77 and Licaon.Started playing Fable2 on the xbox so not as annoyed now but would still love to get this working.UPDATE: Really this is getting laughable now :) mid way though reinstall I got an error I didn't the 1st time and the install just well, stopped installing :Feature Transfer errorComponant: DataFile: E:\data3.cabError: Incorrect function*another sigh* Is this a common one too?

RobTreasure said:
UPDATE: Really this is getting laughable now :) mid way though reinstall I got an error I didn't the 1st time and the install just well, stopped installing :Feature Transfer errorComponant: DataFile: E:\data3.cabError: Incorrect function
any DVD or antivirus application running? disable and quit it, or better yet run the installation in Safe modealso do install in the Default folder, some users reported that installing in a custom folder sometimes caused them trouble like crashes and such

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
UPDATE: Really this is getting laughable now :) mid way though reinstall I got an error I didn't the 1st time and the install just well, stopped installing :Feature Transfer errorComponant: DataFile: E:\data3.cabError: Incorrect function
any DVD or antivirus application running? disable and quit it, or better yet run the installation in Safe modealso do install in the Default folder, some users reported that installing in a custom folder sometimes caused them trouble like crashes and such
Reinstalled everything in safe mode, default folder and still getting exactly the same crashes.Update: tried with/without Depth on and off as well as all the other advanced settings in a lot of different combinations.

RobTreasure said:
Reinstalled everything in safe mode, default folder and still getting exactly the same crashes.Update: tried with/without Depth on and off as well as all the other advanced settings in a lot of different combinations.
do attach the file ERRLOG.TXT from The Witcher/System folder ( if the game crashed )

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
do attach the file ERRLOG.TXT from The Witcher/System folder ( if the game crashed )
Thanks man, but as I said it crashes either locking up totally and requiring hard reboot or with no access to desktop and with sound repeating so can't get any kind of error report.

RobTreasure said:
Thanks man, but as I said it crashes either locking up totally and requiring hard reboot or with no access to desktop and with sound repeating so can't get any kind of error report.
i hoped that maybe now...did you run that OCCT test in the mean time?in memtest you waited for all the 8 tests to complete?you said:
which surely points out a problem with the video card can you try an older video driver like: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_178.24_whql.html ?

Hold on, mine did the same thing about the jitters. Damn it, I don't remember how I fixed it, but I keep track of all these things. Lemme see if I can find it.

Top Bottom