New trait: Companion

+
Companion: If you carry more than one card sharing name with this card and compaion trait in your starting deck, increase your provision cap by the number of those cards

Surely there are better wording for the above, but I think it´s clear. The deal is to add companion trait to all versions of Geralt, Zoltan, Dandelion, Yennefer, Triss, Regis and so on, in such a way that building a deck including more than one version would net a benefit.

This would prompt players to search for new archetypes, would focus more on the theme of the game, would push some non used cards, wouldn´t break game balance (unlikely) and would open for the devs a new way to design new cards. I am still unsure how to concrete the mechanics. A second version could be:

Companion: increase your provision cap by the number of different names in companion cards in your starting deck.

Or a third (and last) version:

Companion: Increase your provision cap by number of companion cards above one in your starting deck.

Thoughts?

- Elia

Last edited:
In general, I think there should be some mechanic to allow you to increase the provision cap. I've made several suggestions in the past, one of them which has been implemented. Your suggestion overlaps with mine, but focuses more on thematic decks.

Why does it change the provisions and not just give a boost/extra effect?
I can imagine there going to be a lot of trouble with variable provision costs.

I see, thanks for the link. It was indeed a good point about add a provision bonus to leader. With my suggestion I try to reward thematic decks, but also to add diversity and complexity to a current meta with too much net decking.

- Elia
Post automatically merged:

Why does it change the provisions and not just give a boost/extra effect?
I can imagine there going to be a lot of trouble with variable provision costs.
Variable provision costs don´t seem much of a problem when selecting one leader or other. I don´t think that a potential companion trait would create a problem in this regard. This said, any suggestion for boost / extra effect?

- Elia

Guest 4336264

Companion: If you carry more than one card sharing name with this card and compaion trait in your starting deck, increase your provision cap by the number of those cards

Surely there are better wording for the above, but I think it´s clear. The deal is to add companion trait to all versions of Geralt, Zoltan, Dandelion, Yennefer, Triss, Regis and so on, in such a way that building a deck including more than one version would net a benefit.

This would prompt players to search for new archetypes, would focus more on the theme of the game, would push some non used cards, wouldn´t break game balance (unlikely) and would open for the devs a new way to design new cards. I am still unsure how to concrete the mechanics. A second version could be:

Companion: increase your provision cap by the number of different names in companion cards in your starting deck.

Companion: Increase your provision cap by number of companion cards above one in your starting deck.

Thoughts?

- Elia
Sorry, but I don't get it... :shrug:

Thoughts?

- Elia
Sounds great for neutral synergy. I really do think there should be a benefit to using a good chunk of neutrals in your deck to incentivize building outside your chosen faction but I can also see it being abused by some already questionable archetypes.

Hope they implement something similar so I don't have to be sad every time I remember a fifth of the cards in the game are basically fodder now.

Hmmm ... imo a small version of "companion" that You've mentioned already exist in the game in Nilfgaard - a withers trio that every one of them is more powerfull when others are in hand? But I am not sure did I get it right?

Hmmm ... imo a small version of "companion" that You've mentioned already exist in the game in Nilfgaard - a withers trio that every one of them is more powerfull when others are in hand? But I am not sure did I get it right?

It exists in NG, it exists in Monsters (crones) and it exists in neutral with a few couple of cards boosting a deploy effect if you have the other in hand. But my proposal for companion trait is different, as it places the sinergy in the deck building step, not in the game. By placing it in the deck building, I try to contribute to diversity and complexity in the archetypes, to improve the playability of some unused cards and to make the game more themed towards The Witcher notorious characters.

- Elia

Thoughts?

- Elia
what the reason not to use "full Geralt Pack" then?

- Pankivtanke69 - in case you dont see nickname at top of post

If they admit that provisions cap is hindering deck diversity, which they would sort of do with such a mechanism, they could just as well get rid of it.
Also I don't see how a full geralt set belongs into a single deck. Many characters reappearing on different cards rather feel like tech cards then a theme.
The mechanism has the potential to lower deck diversity (cards allways appear together->less deck diversity). If they want cards to use together its better dealt with the way as witcher trio, crones, or unicorn/chironex is done.

I understand though that there are many great cards with exciting effect but have too high provision so you dont dare to use them. If anything, we could talk about increasing the cap, OR releasing a new neutral exclusive ability(former hero) with a much higher provision cap.

If they admit that provisions cap is hindering deck diversity, which they would sort of do with such a mechanism, they could just as well get rid of it.
They would never do that if they want to continue doing monthly patches. Even considering the poor quality of the patches that fail to address core issues with complete faction identities and do nothing to stabilize the meta you'd expect them to absolutely shit the bed if their primary "balancing" tool (ie provisions) suddenly wasn't there anymore. You're just begging for HC 2.0.

Thoughts?
It looks logical, cause it is the same person. He/she doesn't need provision for two or more different persons. But I don't think that this shall make a big deal, cause different cards with the same name ("Geralt: Igni" and "Geralt: Irden", for example) are commonly used in different strategies and decks. And this insignificant thing will complicate game rules, will confuse people. I don't think, that this change is worth of the attention.

Last edited:
Top Bottom