New Troubleshooting Faq (Read Before Posting your problems)

+
herby420 said:
I bought the game at target on clearance for $10. the game works fine until I get to the loading screen and it freezes then goes to a black screen (sounds are still going). I lowered all the quality settings, and am currently downloading the patch.Any ideas on how to get this game to work?I am tryin to play on a crappy lenevo R61 laptop...part of a laptop program at my university.Thanks
read: Getting tech help on the forum and attach that PCWizard report as instructed ( use the older version of PCWizard if you have problems with the newer one )read the FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0do attach the file ERRLOG.TXT from The Witcher/System folderwhat loading screen? please detail what you do and what happens

I lowered the resolution and lowered the quality of everything, and now it is running, but really choppy and slow. I am pretty sure that my graphics card is not good enough. The load screen that it froze at was when you started a new game, it says loading and that loads, then it loads "Kaer Morhen" and it would go black and and the sound would still go. But like I said it works now and its just really choppy. Its bad enough where I can't beat the first mage.

herby420 said:
I lowered the resolution and lowered the quality of everything, and now it is running, but really choppy and slow. I am pretty sure that my graphics card is not good enough. The load screen that it froze at was when you started a new game, it says loading and that loads, then it loads "Kaer Morhen" and it would go black and and the sound would still go. But like I said it works now and its just really choppy. Its bad enough where I can't beat the first mage.
please attach that report as i don't have any mind reading superpowers :evil:

Embarrassingly enough, reinstalling the game worked for me, who'd have thought?They always tell you to but you never believe them...

This is worst FAQ I have ever seen! Game has great potential, but sorry to say it sucks. I have tried every damn possible fix out there... What a waste of $40 dollars. Maybe the producers should try actually fixing the problem instead of putting out these lame work arounds. You guys are making M$ look good. I mean why the hell would someone put out a game that don't even work?? Oh wait they tried to fix it by giving people an Enhanced version... Seems to me this only fix a couple of things such as the talking to NPCs who look stiffer than a Frankenstein and talk like they just had botox injections. Let me give you a tip.. When I buy a game, I want it to work to point it doesn't crash every 15minutes to 2 hours or even at all. If my machine is going to crash its going to be because the hardware sucks and not from the the game. I shouldn't have to tweak my machine to make a game work. I play Crysis and FarCry with no problems.

Moham said:
This is worst FAQ I have ever seen! Game has great potential, but sorry to say it sucks. I have tried every damn possible fix out there... What a waste of $40 dollars. Maybe the producers should try actually fixing the problem instead of putting out these lame work arounds. You guys are making M$ look good. I mean why the hell would someone put out a game that don't even work?? Oh wait they tried to fix it by giving people an Enhanced version... Seems to me this only fix a couple of things such as the talking to NPCs who look stiffer than a Frankenstein and talk like they just had botox injections. Let me give you a tip.. When I buy a game, I want it to work to point it doesn't crash every 15minutes to 2 hours or even at all. If my machine is going to crash its going to be because the hardware sucks and not from the the game. I shouldn't have to tweak my machine to make a game work. I play Crysis and FarCry with no problems.
read: Getting tech help on the forum and attach that PCWizard report as instructed ( use the older version of PCWizard if you have problems with the newer one )read the FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0do attach the file ERRLOG.TXT from The Witcher/System folder, if such a file exists

Moham said:
Hey sorry for flamage and QQ. :'( :-[ :mad: :wall:Files are attached.
your PCWizard report is cut, please reattach a full onecan you disable AVG, rename The Witcher\System\lightfx folder to bad_lightfx and retry ?

can you disable AVG, rename The Witcher\System\lightfx folder to bad_lightfx and retry ?
Tried this except for disabling AVG.Downloaded both versions from the wiki site which linked me to CPUID and some Danish site... both crashed under 'Run as administrator'.The games seems to be running fine right, I will test more tommarrow. What exactly do you need for info from PC wizard WinAudit seems to work great. Just need to uncheck some items so the programs doesn't do a full system capture.

Ok, I just got off the phone with smell they are going to send a 64bit version of vista home premium. From what I have read this seems to be the best fix. True?

Moham said:
Ok, I just got off the phone with smell they are going to send a 64bit version of vista home premium. From what I have read this seems to be the best fix. True?
not sure, do test it

After changing the lightfx folder name I had about 2hours play time before it crashed. AVG occurances keep popping up in the errorlog.txt. Tired of dealing with AVs I am completly removing it and install later so it won't be a factor.Nvidia just put out a new driver. Testing out I will see how it goes. 181.2 Will update tomarrow.Also just notice my sound drivers are a bit behind, updating...Just came across this site from hoping around BleepingComputer.com... www.systemrequirementslab.com ---- Checks your system for game compatitibility and a huge list of current games.

Ok, I istalled vista home premium 64bit. Found and installed the most up-to-date 64 bit drivers Dell and Nvidia had. Installed the witcher without a AV. I just played for about 4 hours and she crashed :(.I was able to get PC Wizard to work. Attaching log files.Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATIONWrite to location 0000000CNot sure that this means... I am running as admin...

Moham said:
Ok, I istalled vista home premium 64bit. Found and installed the most up-to-date 64 bit drivers Dell and Nvidia had. Installed the witcher without a AV. I just played for about 4 hours and she crashed :(.I was able to get PC Wizard to work. Attaching log files.
where were you when it crashed? what chapter? what were you doing?the latest from nVidia is 181.20the latest Realtek in 2.14

I just returned Alvin to Triss instead of Shanni. I decided to Teleport from Triss's house to go to the swamps and kill some kikimores. I was in the swamp killed some monsters ,looted and than it crashed soon after.

Moham said:
I just returned Alvin to Triss instead of Shanni. I decided to Teleport from Triss's house to go to the swamps and kill some kikimores. I was in the swamp killed some monsters ,looted and than it crashed soon after.
retry with the same savegame and report

Just running around the swamp.Decided to make a new game and it crashed again. Restarted and turned off show object names and I havn't crashed. There was some odd glitches when entering and leaving buildings. I would get what looks like 3D model outlining of the loading scene. Other than that seems to be running smoothly.

Bugcrusher said:
I have this same problem, the game worked fine last night, but this morning I get the msg above and no joy, no game...sigh!Intell e6550 on Striker II formula mobo2024 mem9600GTS video with latest driverswin xp sp3whats the deal? with this, anyobe have a fix?
what type of game, original + patch or Enhanced DVD?read: Getting tech help on the forum and attach that PCWizard report as instructed ( use the older version of PCWizard if you have problems with the newer one )do attach the file ERRLOG.TXT from The Witcher/System folder ( if the game crashed )

Top Bottom