New Troubleshooting Faq (Read Before Posting your problems)

+
Perhaps, maybe they released SP1 for Vista 32bit less than a month ago. I do not have the option to DL it from the updates in the Windows update control panel. Microsoft says be patient so idk. I will try manually DL'ing just incase. Thanks so much for the help. I do know that i DL-ed this: Hotfix for Windows (KB940105)Installation date: ‎5/‎12/‎2008 3:36 PMInstallation status: SuccessfulUpdate type: ImportantFix for KB940105More information: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=940105Help and Support: http://support.microsoft.comThat should the Hotfix for Virtual Address spacing if I'm not mistaken.BTW, you can see what updates you have gotten from Windows Update in the control panel. Just click "review update history"

hi i m ammar i have installed the game the witcher but it says that it has encountered a problem and need to close.what would i do know?i have downloaded the *********** file but it doesn't work.please tell me at this email address ***********@hotmail.comthanks in advance [MOD]Please refrain yourself of speaking of such things here. 10q[/MOD]Get The Witcher Demo here

ok here goes i dont know what im doing but i just got this game after rebuilding my pc and i cant get it to install i get a (crc error).the file c:\program files|the witcher|data|movies|intro.bik

kaufman5 said:
ok here goes i dont know what im doing but i just got this game after rebuilding my pc and i cant get it to install i get a (crc error).the file c:\program files|the witcher|data|movies|intro.bik doesnt match the file plz help
try to install in Safe Mode or try to copy the files from the DVD onto the hard drive, and install from there

Hello guys,just bought The Witcher some days ago and installed it on my computer. Worked fine so far. BUT the game crashes every 10 minutes or so - and is therefore unplayable.My system:OS: Windows Vista 32 bitRAM: 2GBProcessor: AMD Athlon Dualcore X2 (2.8 GHz)Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT (512MB)There is no specific error message, it just says "The Witcher doesn't work anymore" (this is a direct translation of the message - I'm using a german system, it's possible that on an English Vista the message is a bit different).I'm using the latest update of The Witcher and also the Windows Hotfix which is recommended at the Update-Download-Page.Please help me... :-\

Amazing - simply activating the compatibility mode XP did the trick... thanx for the tip, sometimes I forget about the most obvious things ;)

Hi,it's me again :-\Game's working now, currently playing chapter 2. However, everytime I leave/enter an area there is a chance of the game freezing my computer. On the loading-screen, as soon as the red loading-bar on the bottom is displayed, everything is fine - but sometimes the bar simply doesn't show up and THEN the game freezes. Also, my DVD-drive sounds very strange when this happens. Is it just my problem or did this occour before? Please help me...

AlanDarkworld said:
. Also, my DVD-drive sounds very strange when this happens. Is it just my problem or did this occour before? Please help me...
the TAGES protection checks the disk while loading a new zone or a save game, the game crashes if the disk in not found in drivetry with another drive

And what if I don't have another drive? :(I'm sorry but currently there is only one drive in my PC and it works fine for all other applications and games...

AlanDarkworld said:
And what if I don't have another drive? :(I'm sorry but currently there is only one drive in my PC and it works fine for all other applications and games...
sometimes older drives have problems with newer pressed disksdo try to get a newer firmware at least ( look on your drive manufacturer site )do read Getting tech help on the forum

Well, in fact my computer is not that old, bought it about a year ago... I'll take a look at the manufacturer's site, but I also had a look at the "Getting tech help on the forum"-topic. There is a description of a problem similar to mine, it has also to do with this TAGES-protection:
The game uses the TAGES copy protection system, which has has been found to conflict with disc image drive emulators and react similarly to presence of SCSI and SATA drivers in the system, leading to a number of occasions where the copy protection system has prevented users from running legitimately purchased copies of the game. These problems can be usually avoided by uninstalling the TAGES driver with the official installation program and then starting the game (which will automatically install the appropriate driver version).
Erm... what do they mean by that? Could that be the cause of my problem as well?Thank you for your friendly help so far, by the way :)

Well, I re-installed the TAGES-driver now, I also had a look at your theory what might cause the error. Sounds logical to me, BUT sometimes my game freezes just after a few minutes, sometimes it runs for an hour or two without problems and then suddenly freezes. What's also strange: I don't get kicked out of the game, I do not even get an error message, it just doesn't LOAD the next level.EDIT: I heard about a new version of The Witcher which is developed for some kind of a platinum series or something which has reduced saving/loading times and other errors fixed. Is that true? Will there be a patch or something or do I have to buy the new version?I wanted to look for the latest driver/firmware for my DVD-device but couldn't find any, unfortunately...I also have an active Deamon-Tools installation on my computer, does it affect The Witcher or TAGES in any way? Would it help to deactivate/uninstall it?And what I have been asking myself for days now: Why on earth does The Witcher need a copy protection like that, especially when it causes so many errors and so much trouble? It isn't one of those 2000€-applications, it is "just" a game...

AlanDarkworld said:
I also have an active Deamon-Tools installation on my computer, does it affect The Witcher or TAGES in any way? Would it help to deactivate/uninstall it?
do try: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=8809.msg221648#msg221648Detailed information regarding the Enhanced Edition can be found in the additional document attached to this press release.Additional info may be found in this special movie about Enhanced Edition

My son bought the Witcher but his computer was not up to the challenge of this game. I let him load it into my computer and he played the game for about 2 hours then turned the game off. When I got in that night I turned the computer off. The next morning when I turned the computer on it wouldn't boot into Windows. I worked with Microsoft techs for 2 hours and they couldn't fix the problem. Their solution was to format the drives then do a clean install. I chose to buy another hard drive and do a clean install. My original hard drives were two Western Digital 320 gigs raided in a mirror array. I didn't lose anything but programs because I save all work files to an external hard drive. These two drives were less than 6 months old along with the whole system. I asked The Witcher support about this and they said that out of 1,000,000 games sold that I was the first to have this problem and that it couldn't be caused by the game. I had contacted support because the game wouldn't start with the new install. They gave me no support as to why the game wouldn't load. After looking into these forums I found that setting the video back to 640X480 the game loaded, I then changed the graphics back to another resolution within the game and everything seems to work OK. My question is this, since I am not a gamer and I don't want my son tweeking my computer, I would be much abiliged if someone would tell me what would be the best setting to adjust my video cards to for this game.My SystemAsus M3A32-MVP Deluxe Wireless (Wireless Disabled)AMD 9600 Phenom 2.3 gig Quad2 Asus EAH 3870's Crossfired4X1 gigs of OCZ Reaper 1066Seagate 500 gig hard drive (very Noisey)Coolermaster Cosmos 1000 caseCoolermaster 1000 watt power supplyCoolermaster Aquagate Max liguid coolingVista Ultamate 64 bit

zscar said:
My question is this, since I am not a gamer and I don't want my son tweeking my computer, I would be much abiliged if someone would tell me what would be the best setting to adjust my video cards to for this game.
nice rig, BTW, you don't have to tweak anything, leave it on Application settings

Thanks for the information. I built the Spider rig just after Christmas because I needed some more tax deductions for 2007. It has worked very well up to the hard drive crash. My son has been on the game for two or three hours and has had no problem.

Top Bottom