New Troubleshooting Faq (Read Before Posting your problems)

+
I also had the exact same problem, and the above solution works like a charm. I hope a new patch will solve this issue.

I too had the same problem which was also fixed by turning down my sound acceleration to Standard. After which The Witcher EE would finally launch instead of crash.However, I do want to have to keep this setting at Standard in order to run the EE. The normal version works fine with it set to Full accleration.How can this issue be fixed so that the EE will work with Full acceleration also?

Bizarre. I'm having precisely the same problem -- running Windows XP SP2, I downloaded and installed the requisite files. When I launch the Enhanced Edition of the game, the screen goes dark, then the game crashes to desktop before the game cursor (the mailed hand) is displayed.I tried uninstalling The Witcher and reinstalling, then reinstalling the EE patches: same result.Happily, the trick of turning down audio hardware acceleration one notch (from full to standard) allows the game to start up for me as well... but there's definitely something wrong there.If our experience is typical, it would be very helpful if this interim solution of turning down audio hardware acceleration could be posted as its very own sticky forum message.Thanks!--Flatfingers

Flatfingers said:
Bizarre. I'm having precisely the same problem -- running Windows XP SP2, I downloaded and installed the requisite files. When I launch the Enhanced Edition of the game, the screen goes dark, then the game crashes to desktop before the game cursor (the mailed hand) is displayed.I tried uninstalling The Witcher and reinstalling, then reinstalling the EE patches: same result.Happily, the trick of turning down audio hardware acceleration one notch (from full to standard) allows the game to start up for me as well... but there's definitely something wrong there.If our experience is typical, it would be very helpful if this interim solution of turning down audio hardware acceleration could be posted as its very own sticky forum message.Thanks!--Flatfingers
I had the exact same problem, and the exact same solution worked for me...so it seems there's a lot of us having this same issue...

FloodSpectre said:
I'm also having the Black Screen crash issue with the EE, but changing my sound settings in dxdiag does nothing for me.
I don't know about dxdiag, but have you tried the following method, which worked for me:Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Devices - Speaker Settings - Advanced - Performance, and turned down the Hardware Acceleration from FULL to Standard.

I don't know about dxdiag, but have you tried the following method, which worked for me:Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Devices - Speaker Settings - Advanced - Performance, and turned down the Hardware Acceleration from FULL to Standard.
Dxdiag seems to modify those settings, as it was at Standard when I checked. I tried changing to each of the other levels of acceleration, but with no success. I suspect I'm having a different problem.When I tried running it at first, I got the no-DVD error, but cleaning my system up a bit and getting rid of some old traces of Daemon Tools got me past that error, but dropped me right into this new one. I'm wondering if the new error is related to emulation.

Djarrad said:
I wa playing the game last night and everything was fine, but this morning when i turned it on it made the crackly static sound you get when your tv is on a channel you dont have, it is loud annoying and wtf is it? is it a problem wit my game and should i take it back to store. :-\ thanks
I had the problem too. Try to start Witcher.exe in Windows XP compatibility mode. It has helped me.

I believe this has something to do with EAX Accelleration, by changing the Hardware to Standard, this disables the EAX option in the game.You can then change the slider back to Full and start the game normally however, once you load you saved game and go into the options and click on the EAX checkbox and then click Accept, the game will crash once again :(I have an X-Fi Platinum Fatality card with the latest driver pack installed and running under XP Pro, 64-Bit Edition.Changing to any of the Compatibility Mode options does nothing to resolve this issue.

If you have Win XP try the miles files from Witcher 1.3You must not make a new install to get them.I made a download for you.http://uploadfile.org/download.php?id=R0EUiIiv4AjaDWkZRUdTMake a backup of the files in the original 1.4 Witcher first!After extracting and copying all should work like in Witcher 1.3 with full accelleration on....

Hi Weier.THX for your solution. It works very well :D. Very good idea to copy the files from Version 1.3 to 1.4.I hope that this wouldn't affect other things in the game negatively.MfGMDuss

hello there!I just upgraded the witcher from 1.0 to the enhanced edition. as far as good....When I start the game the screen turns shortly to black and it looks like the game is being started. But then I return directly to the desktop. no error message.I dunno if anyone already posted that prob. So sorry in advance, if that's the case.... :)

vicious-ed said:
hello there!I just upgraded the witcher from 1.0 to the enhanced edition. as far as good....When I start the game the screen turns shortly to black and it looks like the game is being started. But then I return directly to the desktop. no error message.I dunno if anyone already posted that prob. So sorry in advance, if that's the case.... :)
A number of us have posted about it in a different thread, http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=16968.0, and I suspect our problem is not the EAX issue others are having. The people having the audio problem have one set of information coming up in their error box, whereas those of us who can't even get into the game are having different info come up with their error message.

Yep, it has been posted lots in this same thread actually. One of the workarounds, that worked for myself and some others is to do the following:Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Devices - Speaker Settings - Advanced - Performance, and turned down the Hardware Acceleration from FULL to Standard.

Weier said:
If you have Win XP try the miles files from Witcher 1.3You must not make a new install to get them.I made a download for you.http://uploadfile.org/download.php?id=R0EUiIiv4AjaDWkZRUdTMake a backup of the files in the original 1.4 Witcher first!After extracting and copying all should work like in Witcher 1.3 with full accelleration on....
only some files are actually different:
Code:
mssdolby.flt       7,168  mssds3d.flt       11,776  mssdsp.flt        55,296  msseax.flt        58,880  mssmp3.asi       149,504  msssrs.flt        13,824  mssvoice.asi      214,528
they're version 7.0.20.0 while the newer ones are 7.2.2

Hatte nach dem Download einige Probleme, eines,das bleibt,ist,dass die Bezeichnungen bei z.B.Pflanzen auch nach dem Lesen der entsprechenden Bücher fehlen, man kann sie also nicht pflücken.Und der Trainer(neu extra für die EE) funktioniert auch nicht, es gibt keine extra Punkte. :mad:

Weier said:
HUGE thanks, man! This finally solved my problems with game crashing at startup and in-game reproduction of .bik files!Again, many thanks, and may all women in the game happily participate in a sexual intercourse with you :D

I eagerly purchased the Witcher when it came out, like so many others disdaining to read the specs. At best, my computer'd run it fine. At worst, it'd be choppy, but I could live with that. After the installation "Minimum System Requirements Not Met". Gasp! I checked my computer and found that I lacked enough RAM.Curses!Strapped for cash, I waited around for awhile and when the Enhanced version came out, I upgraded the game. Then, just because I so achingly wanted to play it... purchased the additional RAM. After hours of updating and money spent, I went to play and... "Minimum System Requirements Not Met"! I recalled reading about a fix that you tick on "-dontForceMinReqs" on the shortcut. Attempting that, I tried and... "Minimum System Requirements Not Met".Augh!Looking over my specs, I couldn't understand what the problem had been... till I saw that Intel Celeron Processor. I checked through the list of supported Processors and... SIGH. Is there any way to work around that? Some patch, update, anything?

Top Bottom