New Update? Causes repetitive freezing and crashing to desktop.

+
New Update? Causes repetitive freezing and crashing to desktop.

Hi, until today I had been able to play the game perfectly without any problems. Now, I can't play without my game crashing sporadically every few minutes to a few hours. At best the screen will turn black and then bring me to my desktop while the audio still plays and the game still runs (but with no way to get out of my desktop forcing me to end the game via the task manager) and at worst it'll freeze entirely and the whole computer will become unresponsive causing me to manually restart my PC.

The only thing that I can think of is that I downloaded the new dlc via steam and that the game updated itself today. Otherwise, again, I had been able to play the game without ANY crashes since launch.

I have a GTX970 if that helps. Otherwise, if anyone needs more info to help me let me know.

Hopefully something can be figured out.

There has been no new game update yet after 1.06.

The update you got was this:
That's an update of our artpack (artbook, soundtrack, map, manual, wallpapers etc.). You can check them out by going to: Properties (from Library view)->Local files->Browse local files. Files are in main game folder.

Cheers
Łukasz Babiel, CD Projekt RED

Second. No way it could be related to the update today. No game files were changed aside from a few entries to the menu options.

The game still needs the internet to update, right?

As I hadn't been on in days, maybe there was an older update?

- Regardless, update or not, has anything like this happened before?

Yes, the internet will be required to update.

There have been no updates since 1.06.

And lots of people have been experiencing crashes for all sorts of colorful reasons, but that's not an issue with the game directly.

Update you drivers with the official Nvida reference drivers using the CLEAN install option, re-install DirectX, and clean up your system's registry with CCleaner.

If the problem persists, I would simply wait until 1.07 is released. If you're experiencing crashing after the new update, contact CDPR Technical Support directly. Send in your system specs, complete DirectXDiag info, and a few save files with specific instructions on how to re-create the crash.

These are the joys of gaming on PC.

nVidia 353.30 driver for me works perfectly. The game itself is surprisingly stable. I've experienced no crashes (maybe 1 or 2 with old patches). I guess, it's your driver fault.

Have a feeling with all these crash updates, that even though the 2GB artbook update didn't add anything to the gamefiles, it more than likely auto-verified the installs, and alot of people may have had graphics tweaks they forgot were in there that are now default versions.

Not sure how GOG does it, but when Steam updates a game, it usually re-scans file integrity and replaces any non-default, or "corrupted" files.

Excellent point! I wonder how many people are struggling because of this.

"Best place to hide the letter is on the mantelpiece..."

Many gfx tweaks are done on the files in bin/config/base

I know I had a few (that I've since stopped using).

Top Bottom