New video – Find out what happened in the first Witcher game

+
gregski said:

WTF happened to Triss' face? :(
This must be her tired-after-sex face.

Even leaving out all of the events of Chapters 1 and 4, that was a pretty intense summary. If I hadn't played TW1, I think I'd have to watch it four or five times to understand everything that happened. ;) Nice job, CDPR!

I find the woodcut style a lot more attractive in full color than in red and black. Did anybody else have that reaction?

Corylea said:
If I hadn't played TW1, I think I'd have to watch it four or five times to understand everything that happened. ;)
My thoughts as well.

Corylea said:
I find the woodcut style a lot more attractive in full color than in red and black. Did anybody else have that reaction?
I totally agree. :)

I just noticed at the start of witcher 2 it was said there was no medelion in in this cutscene does mention one, is it a mistake?

CostinMoroianu said:
that's stupid. Say what you will about Mass Effect, and there is a lot of bad shit to say about the series, but at least imported choices had a huge impact in ME3.

If there's one thing Bioware did well, tough not perfect by any means, it's that.

Hehe, I actually agree. It was in parts a joke about the currently ongoing shitstorm about Bioware and ME3. I enjoy the series very much. I must admit that I'm 60 to 70% SciFi buff first, then 30 to 40% fantasy second. ^^

For carrying over decisions, yes, they could definitely get a few ideas from Bioware. But for everything else - first day DLCs, special preorder promotions, multi-platform-cow-milking or multiplayer that is actually needed for the best singleplayer experience - look away. Look to yourself.

CD Project Red is currently, in my opinion, the single, the one and only game developer who has not yet fully converted themselves towards maximizing the profit of a product by any means necessary. And yes I know that sounds like arse-licking. *g* But it's just how I feel about the company. ;)

CostinMoroianu said:

WTF happened to Triss' face? :(

Her left eye is crooked or something.

Same that happens to any face when it is converted into a caricature or by using any non-realism art form. Ever seen a late Picasso artpiece? :D

Its sure to keeps building up!, a nice way to express ''The witcher'' scenario fillings to newcomer ho for sure will enjoy a whole story one way or another...

CostinMoroianu said:
My issue with what you are saying isn't so much the fact I give a damn about Adda, my issue is that you are saying it's good enough.

We both know CDPR could have handled the import situation a lot better, and we both know the moment companies only hear praises they sit on their asses and do nothing, and then they can and will do it worse.

I don't think we know yet what, if any, response Radovid will make if Anais has either disappeared or is with Natalis. If she's with Natalis, he doesn't find out until the meeting, and won't have had time to come up with Plan B. After that, I think he has more important things on his mind (like "How to avoid being incinerated", and "The Nilfgaardians are coming!").

So I think it's a little premature to think that it doesn't make a difference. Since he only married Adda to get Temeria, and he wanted Anais so that he could get Temeria, I would expect him to still want to get Temeria one way or another, but he can afford to wait for the right moment.

CostinMoroianu said:
that's stupid. Say what you will about Mass Effect, and there is a lot of bad shit to say about the series, but at least imported choices had a huge impact in ME3.

If there's one thing Bioware did well, tough not perfect by any means, it's that.

I agree. They are the only games to do that so well till now.
Hopefully TW3 will have more imported choice consequences and always feels good to see old faces!

There's a little factual error in the end - the assassin from the first game didn't have a medallion.

Still, nice video. Can't wait for April 17-th.

yayodeanno said:
It's usually called retcon
and it's basically cheating, but oh well

Yeah but usually retconning is used when something is missing that is needed to enhance the story / gameplay or sometimes even for the continuation to make sense (if they really forgot something important).

In my opinion this is not the case here. There is no more evidence needed to paint the assassin as a Witcher. Even right after the outro of TW1 it was all too clear that this guy is definitely a kin of the monster slayers.

So my guess is that this is an oversight. Or, even more likely, just a means to make it unmistakenly clear that this is a witcher. For those players who did not enjoy the original game (poor fools! :p). Because among the first things they learn (and see) in TW2 is that Witchers always wear a special amulet. They're basically noobs. :D

GODzilla said:
Or, even more likely, just a means to make it unmistakenly clear that this is a witcher.

That's my theory too, but we'll have to play the EE to find out if more has been changed :)

yayodeanno said:
It's usually called retcon
and it's basically cheating, but oh well
It can't be a retcon as the medallion wasn't shown in the ending cinematic of The Witcher, and in The Witcher 2 it was also mentioned that the assassin had no medallion, so there is no discrepancy. This is either a mistake or as GODzilla said, meant as better explanation for newcomers to the Witcher world. Unless Enhanced Edition changes this fact which I doubt.

Strange they say that the assassin which tried to kill King Foltest had a Witcher's medallion, because I remember it being said in-game that he didn't have one, however it seems I'm not the only one to notice this.

They probably added it in to add to the story and make it more obvious that he was a Witcher, as we all knew from the game.

Guest 3089984

I love these videos that they do. The art style really carries the mood. Yay! To quote Foltest, "This I like!" LOL

I'm a newbie to the series, really looking forward to playing the Xbox version of The Witcher 2.

I thought the video was nice. Yeah, some of you guys are right. I've had to re-watch it about three times because there's alot to take in.

I'm still considering watching a full game playthrough on youtube or something of the first game too. But, the video was certainly helpful.

TheFirecracker said:
I'm still considering watching a full game playthrough on youtube or something of the first game too. But, the video was certainly helpful.

Yeah TW2 is awesome and if you are gonna see a youtube playthrough I highly recommend this one with Jesse Cox (OMFGcata) it is highly entertaining and enlightning. (This content is from patch 1.0-1.3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL8xlRVJOUs
He is also at CDProject RED today to try out the Enhanced Edition in Warsaw from April 4th-6th. :)

KnightofPhoenix said:
I will get pissed off tremendously if the Anais and Henselt choice become irrelevant.

Please consider this. The choice to side with Roche or Iorveth splits The Witcher 2 in two different directions. This is a choice that matters and the result is relevant.

It's quite obvious that Anais and Henselt choices would have a huge impact. For TW3 to consider these choices seriously, it would mean 4 totally different games. Consider the implications for TW4. Do I hear exponential?

One way to avoid this situation is to isolate the sequel as much as possible from serious consequences of your choices and make only vague references or cameo appearances of relevant characters. For example I don't see TW3 story happening in Kaedwen or anyway near. Player choices will be acknowledged but minimized close to being irrelevant.

The story can also be conceived in such a way that the impact of your choices is minimal on the world. This is what BioWare does so well in ME and even they blew it in ME3. Is killing the king of Kaedwen such a choice for the Northern Kingdoms?

In conclusion, choices not becoming irrelevant means:

1. Choices that will not have a real impact on the world but will affect player (ME style). For example Geralt may or may not encounter a whore who remembers him from Flotsam.

2. Isolate the sequel as much as possible from previous choices with significant consequences. But even if TW3 happens in Nilfgaard, it would be difficult to minimize the impact of the Henselt lives or dies choice.

Uh oh, and I even didn't mention Letho.

Top Bottom