New Witcher 3 gameplay to be shown during San Diego Comic Con!

+
That's not an accurate description.

You've been shown some 15 minutes worth of gameplay footage, showcasing combat, important locations and main quest storyline tidbits. You will be getting a 30 minute chunk in just 15 days, plus a video with devs answering direct questions from the community, plus whatever comes out - and I'm sure it'll be juicy and plenty - of Kinley's colossal Q&A.

How in the world can TW3 be described as a game «the common folk should see and know as little as possible of»?

We will see, I hope that the 30 minutes trailer actually gets released and that there will be something at GC too but I would not be suprised if it was just another 2 a 3 minute clip honestly. The same goes for the interview, there may be many answers consisting of we can not answer that yet. Granted, I may just be me becoming cynical because of the constant silence and gigantic difference between press and fan coverage.

Mind you, I am not saying we deserve more, we deserve nothing but it often feels like the table scraps are what is made ready for non press.

I really hope some of you guys aren't Half-Life fans. Mein Gott, you'd have a hard time waiting more than 7 years for anything, let alone a few weeks for more gameplay.

I would say that HL3 is a different case since I would simply assume that it is dead and stop caring all together. The fact that there is still some news even if it is behind closed doors or such keeps the whole thing alive.

I really hope some of you guys aren't Half-Life fans. Mein Gott, you'd have a hard time waiting more than 7 years for anything, let alone a few weeks for more gameplay.

Half-Life 3 will likely never happen at this point, or it's very likely to be a massive disappointment. If it DOES come out eventually, I will play it, but I'm really beyond actually caring now.

Jupiter_on_Mars

We will see, I hope that the 30 minutes trailer actually gets released and that there will be something at GC too but I would not be suprised if it was just another 2 a 3 minute clip honestly. The same goes for the interview, there may be many answers consisting of we can not answer that yet. Granted, I may just be me becoming cynical because of the constant silence and gigantic difference between press and fan coverage.

Mind you, I am not saying we deserve more, we deserve nothing but it often feels like the table scraps are what is made ready for non press.

I'm afraid I don't quite follow.

Another «2 to 3 minute clip»? But you've already been shown 5, five, times that!

And you've also been explicitly promised a 30 minute chunk. I mean, sure, you can proclaim your scepticism all you want, but the burden is on you. If you want your scepticism to be taken seriously you have to establish it's grounded in past instances where CD Projekt didn't deliver on their promises.

Good luck with that.

Last edited:
Half-Life 3 will likely never happen at this point, or it's very likely to be a massive disappointment. If it DOES come out eventually, I will play it, but I'm really beyond actually caring now.
I'm afraid Witcher 3 is in the same position as Half Life 3 and Bioshock Infinite when it comes to expectations. The 'hype' is so gigantic that it will never deliver on unrealistic expectations of people. The reactions to the first E3 demonstration proved that, people(me included) had something else in their heads. People expect it to be more than it is and the chances of that happening are very slim.

(not that I'm defending BSI btw >_>)

I'm afraid Witcher 3 is in the same position as Half Life 3 and Bioshock Infinite when it comes to expectations. The 'hype' is so gigantic that it will never deliver on unrealistic expectations of people. The reactions to the first E3 demonstration proved that, people(me included) had something else in their heads. People expect it to be more than it is and the chances of that happening are very slim.

Agreed, when reading so many positive previews and hearing CD Projekt their vision it is easy to imagine something that is not even possible. That said, I think the situation is different than say Ttianfall, which was pushed down as the next big thing with a lot of effort. So who knows, maybe there will not be many gamers stating that they expected more from the endproduct (one can hope anyway).

I would say that HL3 is a different case since I would simply assume that it is dead and stop caring all together. The fact that there is still some news even if it is behind closed doors or such keeps the whole thing alive.

That hasn't always been the case though. It was a few years till we stopped getting anything from Valve regarding it.

I'll hold you to that (regarding it never happening). Will it be a massive disappointment? Hmm, based on their track record I don't think it's likely. As already stated, it's to do with the expectations that have been built up more than anything.

I agree profusely. I wouldn't put all the blame on our heads though. The trailers did show something that seemed quite different from the actual thing in action.

Jupiter_on_Mars

I can't agree with this either.

Criticism is systematically mischaracterized as, on one extreme, «nitpicking» or, on the other, the by-product of «unrealistic expectations». This sort of labelling strikes me as just an attempt to dismiss the criticism at hand in lieu of addressing it. The reality is I haven't read a single post along the lines of «Damn, The Witcher 3 isn't the immaculate masterpiece I have been led to believe it would be after all. Pre-order cancelled».

What I've seen instead is people pointing out very specific flaws. Lip sync is somewhat off, a few models seem to lack self-shadowing, running is a bit stiff, etc. Now, for example, will lip sync be pristine by the time the game releases? Probably not, given what John Mamais said, and no one contested, that full scale performance capture is prohibitively expensive. But has anyone declared the current state of lip sync to be a deal breaker? No, no one has. Were people nonetheless justified in pointing out the obvious problems with it? Absolutely.

Trying to pigeonhole criticism in abstract and hyperbolic terms leads nowhere. Either criticism is valid or it is not. Ether valid criticism can be addressed before the game launches or it cannot.

The rest matters very little.

Last edited:
Damn, The Witcher 3 isn't the immaculate masterpiece I have been led to believe it would be after all.

I agree profusely. I wouldn't put all the blame on our heads though. The trailers did show something that seemed quite different from the actual thing in action.
No blame is being placed anywhere, merely an observation just that I think that's what will happen.

I really hope some of you guys aren't Half-Life fans. Mein Gott, you'd have a hard time waiting more than 7 years for anything, let alone a few weeks for more gameplay.[
I wasnt the fan of Half Life even then. For me its better to ressurect S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series or new chapter of Fallout or Metro. They much more athmospheric.

No blame is being placed anywhere, merely an observation just that I think that's what will happen.

Take what I said lightly, I didn't suggest you were declaring it. Just making a point that there may be good reasons for why we'd think like that.

One thing is certain, i liked their witcher 2 marketing campaign much more. The trailers shown so far aren't nearly as interesting as those from tw 2.

One thing is certain, i liked their witcher 2 marketing campaign much more. The trailers shown so far aren't nearly as interesting as those from tw 2.

Same here, the content that was shown for TW2 was paced out great with relatively few dry periods. There was also a good variation of all kinds of material (CGI, ingame, dev diary).

Edit @Kinley true, I hope that the last few months before release will feature a similar flow of content.

Exactly. But now its different. The video is related to big events. And its fine. Just sometimes there is no video published(Ice Giant quest, Leshy and Fiend quests ). Also i really wanted to see the dev. diaries like that happened at Witcher 2 development and how that talented peoples doing that, what problems they solves , how the process goes e.t.c. Hope we will at least be receiving the feed of new screenshots/arts and the characters /monsters thread that Marcin Momot talking about finally arrives and will keep us excited till the game release.

Top Bottom