New Witcher book written by Andrzej Sapkowski. What does it mean for future of the Witcher brand?

+
New Witcher book written by Andrzej Sapkowski. What does it mean for future of the Witcher brand?

Sooooooo, Sapkowski semi confirmed that he is writing a new Witcher book. He said that he might be writing the book which means that he probably is writing a new book. What do you think it means? How will it affect Witcher brand? In my opinion it depends on the scale of this new creation od mr Sapkowski. Season of storm was relatively short story about Geralt. It wasn't centered around large scale events, it was as author said sidequel and I loved it because it was closer to short stories which I absolutely adore than to Witcher saga which I enjoy but not as much as short stories. The thing with season of storm is that it didn't change status quo with one exception. I'm talking about Geralt being alive one hundread years after books and games. I know that some would argue that it was an illuson but in my opinion it is quite clear that it was Geralt. Now about the Witcher brand. For last 8 years it was mainly run by Witcher games but they are over now. The only things that we Witcher fans are going to get in near future are Gwent, Witcher p&p rpg and movie, which is great but they are not books or main series games. The reason why we are not going to get Witcher 4 (for now at least) is that with three games CDPR exhausted everything that could be taken from the books. Stories of the book characters that could have some sort of ending were given those endings. Now back to the new book. It could give Cdpr and others who want to adapt mr Sapkowski's work something to work with. There are two ways for Sapkowski to do this. One way- story happens one hundred years after books and games, where season of storms left us, still about Geralt but with brand new setting and characters and maybe some old characters that manage to survive hundread years. It could make the world of witcher fresh and new but at the same time still being familiar. Second option- ignore games and make the story take place shortly after lady of the lake. I wouldn't like to see it. Not because it would conflict with games (i'm fine with having two canons) but beacuse Cdpr wouldn't be able to take something from it. Also I'm alittle bit fed up with the setting and would like to see something new. And I think that the second option isn't likely to happen. As much Sapkowski says that he doesn't take games into consideration I see season of storms as a way to say to Cdpr that he respects them and doesn't want to overwrite their stories. What do you think? Do you even want a new story about our favorite witcher?

Last edited:
Sapkowski didn't confirm anything. He was asked about how games affected popularity of his books in western world. He said that he doesn't deny that fact but said also that there's probably a huge numer of people who won't read the books because they think that the are video games books. And speaking about, that he added that games, comics etc. are adaptations only, not canon sequels or prequels, so if he came up with and idea to write continuation of witcher saga, he wouldn't care about game story. For some reason everyone lose their minds and started announcing new book

Last edited:
Interesting Question?
But how do you know that he is working on a new book?

But to come back to the Question:
If Sapkowski really want's to write a whole new Story about the Witcher universe, than he should, as you said right, write a Story definitely after the Events of the Witcher games. Because continuing the Story after Lady of the Lake would not make much sense anymore! CDPR continued that story line in their own Fan fictional way, and they ended it with The Witcher 3!
But the only problem with writing a new Story is that now he would have to write it in a way that would make sense with the ending of The Witcher 3 to be honest!
Or he really writes a Story set more than 100 years after the game events, than i guess that would be no problem!

And you are wrong saying that CDPR exhausted everything! They just had enough for now. They want to make something new, so they are working on Cyberpunk 2077!
That's absolutely normal for a Gaming Developer in my Opinion! I mean they spend their whole "Company" life with making Witcher games.
But CDPR surely would have much more ideas and stuff for a new Witcher. Also again CDPR basically made their own fan fiction Witcher games!

But still...a new book would be very interesting, if he would really write a complete new Novel or Novel-saga based in the Witcher universe!

---------- Post Merged at 06:55 PM ----------

Sapkowski didn't confirm anything. He was asked about how games affected popularity of his books in western world. He said that he doesn't deny that fact but said also that there's probably a huge numer of people who won't read the books because they think that the are video games books. And speaking about, that he added that games, comics etc. are adaptations only, not canon sequels or prequels, so if he came up with and idea to write continuation of witcher saga, he wouldn't care about game story. For some reason everyone lose their minds and started announcing new book

But it would be kinda dumb, if he would continue the Story after lady of the lake in my Opinion!

But it would be kinda dumb, if he would continue the Story after lady of the lake in my Opinion!

I agree it would be "dumb", but for me, games have nothing to do with it. They are great adaptation, that's it. Author can do whatever he wants with his art. It would be strange because as Sapko said many time in the pastthat ending is ending, so there cannot be any continuation. But you know - Pecunia non olet

even if a new witcher book comes out, the reds already stated geralt's story is over, and it is currently unknown if a new witcher game will ever be made, so a new wicher book is neutral

I agree it would be "dumb", but for me, games have nothing to do with it. They are great adaptation, that's it. Author can do whatever he wants with his art. It would be strange because as Sapko said many time in the pastthat ending is ending, so there cannot be any continuation. But you know - Pecunia non olet

But still, the games are heavy influenced from the books! But sure you are right. The Games are more fan fiction than real continuations to the Books!

But if he would continue after Lady of the Lake....that would nevertheless kinda cause an Witcher inception...if you think about it...:unsure:

Sapkowski semi confirmed that he is writing a new Witcher book
Source of information, would you kindly?
Because continuing the Story after Lady of the Lake would not make much sense anymore! CDPR continued that story line in their own Fan fictional way, and they ended it with The Witcher 3!
But Sapkowski has no idea how CDPR handled the story. He did not play any of The Witcher games and is not going to.

If you read into Sapkowski's comments on the Witcher games he has basically said that he doesn't give a flying shit about the games several times in a polite manner.

He has the mind set that the games have no effect on his books or what his future plans for the Witcher is, and that is one of the reasons that he was not directly involved with the games.

Witcher 3 was an inferior knock off and a direct sequel to the books, and I think that was its downfall as far as story went. The other two games were not like that, and they had their own personality and they stood out on their own.

Sapkowski will not follow a story that was written by knock off writers that are inferior to the original content, because he deems himself and his skills as a writer to be superior and rightly so. He is a great writer, and he created the Witcher.

It wouldn't make sense for him to even acknowledge the games and try to continue the story after the games.

Why would he become a knock off writer adding to the story someone else wrote as a knock off to his original work ?

If you read into Sapkowski's comments on the Witcher games he has basically said that he doesn't give a flying shit about the games several times in a polite manner.

He has the mind set that the games have no effect on his books or what his future plans for the Witcher is, and that is one of the reasons that he was not directly involved with the games.

Witcher 3 was an inferior knock off and a direct sequel to the books, and I think that was its downfall as far as story went. The other two games were not like that, and they had their own personality and they stood out on their own.

Sapkowski will not follow a story that was written by knock off writers that are inferior to the original content, because he deems himself and his skills as a writer to be superior and rightly so. He is a great writer, and he created the Witcher.

It wouldn't make sense for him to even acknowledge the games and try to continue the story after the games.

Why would he become a knock off writer adding to the story someone else wrote as a knock off to his original work ?

Well i guess, you are 100% right now with that Comment!

But i still would like to know from were Antonsky07 has that information about a new Book?

About this information about the new book. It comes from
here:http://www.kawerna.pl/aktualnosci/k...-sapkowskiego-wiesci-wprost-ze-spotkania.html
It is in polish so for those who don't understand it, it says here that the bills will not pay themselves and he alludes to writing new witcher book. I don't know if this information is legit but the rest of information in this article is from what i've heard true. There is only one recording from this convent and it's very short, because guy who usually records these videos had his camera broken. And about this new book overwriting games I just don't want Sapkowski to compete with Cdpr I don't think that would be good for him as less knowledgeable people would bash him because he negates things from games. But I want to have the story 100 years after main events because I see a lot of potential in this timeframe. You have some charcaters (Geralt, Nimue), you have the world of witcher but you can do anything with political situation, you can show how thing have changed since events of books. With that book you can even start new series of books if it this one (if it even will be written) is succesfull. But you know, it is all just speculation.

Edit: Oh and I agree with all of you Witcher 3 story was shitty and knockoffy but I like what Cdpr did with witcher universe, but if there was anything that came from Sapkowski and contradict games I would read it and then just decide which one is better.

Last edited:
About this information about the new book. It comes from
here:http://www.kawerna.pl/aktualnosci/k...-sapkowskiego-wiesci-wprost-ze-spotkania.html
It is in polish so for those who don't understand it, it says here that the bills will not pay themselves and he alludes to writing new witcher book. I don't know if this information is legit but the rest of information in this article is from what i've heard true. There is only one recording from this convent and it's very short, because guy who usually records these videos had his camera broken. And about this new book overwriting games I just don't want Sapkowski to compete with Cdpr I don't think that would be good for him as less knowledgeable people would bash him because he negates things from games. But I want to have the story 100 years after main events because I see a lot of potential in this timeframe. You have some charcaters (Geralt, Nimue), you have the world of witcher but you can do anything with political situation, you can show how thing have changed since events of books. With that book you can even start new series of books if it this one (if it even will be written) is succesfull. But you know, it is all just speculation.

Edit: Oh and I agree with all of you Witcher 3 story was shitty and knockoffy but I like what Cdpr did with witcher universe, but if there was anything that came from Sapkowski and contradict games I would read it and then just decide which one is better.

Ah i see!

But now after reading some comments. I think it would be really the best idea if he would just continue the main Plot after lady of the lake.

I hope he does continue the story shortly after Lady of the Lake, though the heavy focus on Ciri would be a bit tiring for me, but whatever he does I will read the result, even though the first half of Season of Storms was probably written while he was drunk, good thing he sobered up for the second half of that damn book.

I always considered the games "separate" from the books, though I did love that CDPR tried really hard to make a good "sequel" to the books, but the finale of Witcher 3 kind of sent all of that to hell in my opinion.

I hope he does continue the story shortly after Lady of the Lake, though the heavy focus on Ciri would be a bit tiring for me, but whatever he does I will read the result, even though the first half of Season of Storms was probably written while he was drunk, good thing he sobered up for the second half of that damn book.

I always considered the games "separate" from the books, though I did love that CDPR tried really hard to make a good "sequel" to the books, but the finale of Witcher 3 kind of sent all of that to hell in my opinion.

Yeah, the Ending of The Witcher 3 really destroyed every little piece of canon available to the books!

I don't care if Sapko writes another book about Geralt's life. I bet I'd buy it anyway.

And BTW, The Wticher games are/were not influenced by books:they are an homage to the writer and his creation (aka Geralt of Rivia), who CDPR always stated they admire.

I don't care if Sapko writes another book about Geralt's life. I bet I'd buy it anyway.

And BTW, The Wticher games are/were not influenced by books:they are an homage to the writer, who CDPR always stated they admire.

Well you can't say that they aren't influenced by the book!

All characters, all regions, and the main plot are from the books and everything! Well...okay CDPR gave a lot of fan fiction to the main plot! But still....

You mean that they aren't canon, they took the books as basis, and made a mix of fan fiction and book plot out of it!

We have different understanding about"influence" meanings. The Witcher were created BECAUSE of the books, Geralt's is NOT a creation of CDPR, it's a free sequel of Sapko's creation, so.... "influence" is not an acurate term here, IMHO, because Geralt's Universe in game IS the same from the books.

Am i the only one, who doesn't give a fuck about where will it takes place, just wanna read a Witcher book again?

And the truth is, it's 1 year later.....and still nothing.

Top Bottom