Newbie got attacked by wolfes and died

+
Newbie got attacked by wolfes and died

Dear forum,

I recently bought the game and the expansion from Steam. Unfortunately it is difficult for me to stay alive in the game! It was night and I was walking in the woods, when all of a sudden a pack of wolfes attacked me! They killed me very quickly. And I was just level one!

I remember I just finished a small quest about a peasant, whose cart got attacked by a monster from the swamps. I was just starting to like the game, because I felt I would make progress. And then all of a sudden those bad wolfes!

Could you give me tips how to survive?

Thank you very much!

You'll be very weak from the get go. Wolves, and other beasts will easily dispatch of you. Once you gain a few levels and start getting better gear it will be a little easier.
I use dodge and parry against the wolves and wargs when they lunge at me. Then cut them or burn them.

Hm, I am confused. I don't know the keys for doge and parry yet. I cannot memorize so many keys that quickly. I wish the game got difficult as I progress in it. Not as I just started it. This way the game is simply impossible for newbies. And I am playing it on the lowest difficulty level!

Hm, I am confused. I don't know the keys for doge and parry yet. I cannot memorize so many keys that quickly. I wish the game got difficult as I progress in it. Not as I just started it. This way the game is simply impossible for newbies. And I am playing it on the lowest difficulty level!

In prologue, train with Vesemir at least 20-30 minutes (seems like you skipped that part). Get used to dodge, parry, rolling all around do it again and again when he attacks you. And then a bit more. Then incorporate some attacks to it (fast/slow). Do it all over again with attacks like I said at least 20 minutes in prologue. If you can't master this, then sadly, this is not game for you because easiest difficulty is absolute breeze.

Ok, I will try once again. I will do the training slowly and try to memorize all those keys. Gosh, who invented it and made it sooo difficult?

Did you done training in the begining game at Kaer Morhen ? Game always teach you every useful key to fight, include Dodge and Parry key. I think you already skiped ???

BTW, you can starts with lowest difficult level, it should help you feel better. Hopefully you have passed the first stage.

I am curious, what is the minimum required level, so that I can freely play without having to fear of being instantly killed by a pack of wolfes?

Ok, I will try once again. I will do the training slowly and try to memorize all those keys. Gosh, who invented it and made it sooo difficult?
Also, don't forget to use signs, quen helps alot since it can soak up few hits so try to use it alot also use potions, oils etc on harder/boss monsters. And don't forget to read bestiary carefully to use best tactic on each monster out there. Plus, try to eat/drink during fight too, it replenishes health over time.

It took me almost one full playthrough on second highest difficulty to get used to the combat system, then another playthrough on the hardest to perfect it. Dodge and parry are kinda hard at first, and while you don't really need them at easier difficulties, they come in handy in the harder ones.

We were all in the same boat when we started playing, I actually find the combat easier in this than it was in Witcher 2 personally ;)

As others have said play the tutorial section till you feel confident with dodging, parrying, casting signs and fighting. Don't forget to use your potions, oils food etc read the beastiary too. You can also run away if you feel a monster or group of enemies is going to be too strong for you, bombs can work well from a distance to thin out enemies too. Quen is very useful and essential really when you start especially if parrying or dodging is hard for you, also igni as it sets enemies on fire and does a fair bit of damage to wolves etc.

I play know I am possibly teaching you to suck eggs but, when I used to game on pc I wrote down the most important keys and put it where I could see it while playing. Or I made a keyboard overlay marking the keys I needed to use.

Good luck, have fun and don't give up it's a great game. :)

I actually found the combat very easy asd
You should just try to train a bit more. Don't be discouraged by early defeats. No one is a master of a any game at first. When you die, try to think what you did wrong and then repeat try to makes some experiments, trying to do other things to win the battle.

my tips would be to try and do some of the side quests first for xp to level up. Couple of hints to point you in the right direction but I try not to spoil the game for you.
The armourer in white orchard is a basic quest
Quen sign is your best friend, it'll absorb some damage when facing enemies
One of the houses by the water in the village area of white orchard has another basic quest
Follow the story quest till you speak to the guy in the nilfguardian base north or whte orchard.
When you get to about Level 4 start looking at the question marks on your map, you'll find these on the notice board.
there are two abandoned sites in white orchard, do these and then do witcher contract "Devil by the Well". There is a bug in the game that if you complete devil by the well an abandoned site can't be lifted.
When you can upgrade your gear.
Loot as much as you can, peoples houses, plants etc. Never loot infront of a guard otherwise you will lose money.

Hope those tips help, enjoy the game :)

Dear forum,

I recently bought the game and the expansion from Steam. Unfortunately it is difficult for me to stay alive in the game! It was night and I was walking in the woods, when all of a sudden a pack of wolfes attacked me! They killed me very quickly. And I was just level one!

I remember I just finished a small quest about a peasant, whose cart got attacked by a monster from the swamps. I was just starting to like the game, because I felt I would make progress. And then all of a sudden those bad wolfes!

Thank you very much!

wolves are tough when you first start and you're getting to grips with the controls.

You need to make sure you don't let them surround you when you fight them as Geralt takes extra damage when he gets hit in the back.

My advice is to wait for a wolf to strike, dodge to the side and then strike, then repeat. It might take a while, but you should find that you take less damage. Also Once you get used to doing that you can try experimenting more with combat until you find what works for you :)

I can't add much to what has already been said but keep in mind the wolves are sort of the first test of gaining your fighting style once your leveled up to a point where it takes a couple of strikes to beat them it then becomes easier . Think of wolves as basic training for your other encounters bandits and other pack creatures later on . Combat is fairly simple the dodging and parrying come together as you get better the only tip I can offer is to put dodge and parry in a key position where you remember them . Hand to hand related keys I have in close proximity . Don't be afraid to run out of combat .

All I can say here is quen is your friend, with dodge and holding block.

Unlike mobs in most games, beasties that attack in groups will coordinate: some will try to get round your back for extra damage, while their comrades have a go from the front.

I think the first thing you should do is to change the keybindins to fit your playstyle, you'll get good eventually, I changed a lot even before begining the game because I wanted to use the keys I did in Witcher 2. It's important to change them right at the begining so you don't have to get used to them later on.

In witcher combat you'll need quick reaction so if you want to focus on Signs try binding your keys so you don't even need the radial menu to use all your them.

I set mine like this: 3= Quen(very quick access) / 4 = Igni / T= Aard / For Axii and Yrden I press Aard and scroll wheel once up or down because they are a bit more situational.

If you want to focus on sword fighting try changing that horrible hold shift to perform a strong a attack thingand adress a button for fast and strong attack, also set up a button for parrying you feel comfortable timing it with enemy attacks. Yes learning how to parry humans and monsters will need trainning, but it's very important.

I set up mine like this: LMB= fast attack / RMB= Strong attack / Scroll click button = deffend and parry / bombs and crossbow = R

About wolves and group attackers:

What I learned about wolves in the begining is that you either need to be non stop dodging or always have your guard up and attacking when you have a breach.

Edit: Oh yes, and trust me dude learning how to fight monsters in this game is amazing and when you start having amazing fights that you just barely won it'll be great, just don't expect to become a master in 1 day :teeth:

Last edited:
those damn wolves sure are good at strafing you and biting you in the ass. hats off to the guy in charge of the wolf department.

Changing key bindings worked miracles for me. I bind R-mouse to strong attack, E to parry, and exchanged dodge and roll (dodge to space bar and roll to Alt).

For wolves, their attack logic is to surround you, then one attacks, then runs away, then the next one attacks and runs away etc. A big mistake when fighting wolf packs is to keep attacking the one wolf that just attacked you, because it makes you vulnerable as you chase after that one wolf. Instead, stay relatively still and keep up the parry until finding an opening. If you got attacked, let that wolf run, turn around and attack the next approaching wolf.

In the beginning, Yrden sign is probably the best sign against wolf/nekkar packs. Again, learn about this during the tutorial.

Can be indeed confusing at the beginning just do the tutorial then you will figure out how to use the combat properly... and remember...

There is no shame to run back...
More you progress more the ennemy will hardly kill you...

Just take your time and you will succeed

If you are playing with the keyboard and mouse, i found the dodge key to be mapped to a really awkward key, by default, since you will be using this frequently and often.

Other players suggested that you can also dodge by double pressing the direction key, but i only learned that after changing the mapping to something i could easily reach and life as already better.

There's a few key rules..

- One you see a monster lunging at you thats it, you have to get out of the way or block it, or you're going to take damage. I dont know if you can block monster attacks (see once you learn how to dodge its so much fun you never want to not do it).
- There's a loading screen tip that comes up is very very true, for monsters, you want to dodge, for human opponents you want to block, and just at the right moment to stagger them. This is also extremely fun.. once you learn how to block humans you're basically untouchable unless another enemy hits you.

So the block and dodge keys are a core part of the combat sequence, you really can't play without them.

Oh wait, are you button mashing? This game doesn't support button mashing if you want to have any real fun with it, sorry. If you are, just try something different. As far as difficulty goes its kinda odd, because once you do understand dodge and parry the game becomes super super easy.. at least at normal difficulty levels. Yes, before you learn how to play this it can be definitely frustrating... i remember my first go at the wolves in the first scene and while i didn't die, i was a nervous wreck.. don't button mash.

EDIT: The signs, you use, just think magic.. are a little bit odd. They're so much fun, BUT!! You have to learn the name of the spell and what it does, and what key its bound to. There's no way around it. Unfortunately, 'force push' is called 'aard', and 'firewall' is called 'igni', etc.. you just have to learn these sadly. There's only 5 of them :)

EDIT2: There's also a targeting lock on function, when you first start and are not used to the animations and who geralt is naturally targeting this is a great feature. There are also a few fights in the game were you want to take out smaller enemies around a larger one first, and you don't want to chance swinging into the main boss and wasting the attack where this is useful.

EDIT3: Rolling is more of an 'oh crap button'. Don't worry about it until you get dodge and block, once you get those rolling tactfully will make complete sense.

Last edited:
Top Bottom