Newbie got attacked by wolfes and died

+
Thank you for the kind words. I am happy to find such a good community here.

Now I am downloading a huge update 1.10 - it is several gigabytes big!

Every monster or NPC in Gothic 1,2 (especially in NOTR!!) were tough, i remember how my hand was shaking on the mouse while walking through a forest, a varg, an orc elite or skeleton warrior could've killed me with one hit at lowest level. On the other hand, Gothic 3 was a joke in terms of combat. In Witcher 3 wolves ARE tough on death march difficulty, especially at low lvl ;)

Ahh, Gothic experience...I remember running like hell all the way to Khorinis, the first time I encountered a shadowbeast.

I just got killed again. I was level 4 and was in a cave. I had to stand close the Keira and protect her from monsters coming from a portal. Unfortunately my hero got poisoned from something and then he couldn't use a sword! And wiithout a sword I could not fight the monsters!

What should I do?

Not be level 4 to start with, haha. The recommend level is 8 if I recall correctly, so I suggest that you load an autosave slot and do the Barron quest first. You can always do a couple of other side-quests/contracts to help progress your level as well. And don't forget to use your skill points when you level up if you haven't, they're a lifesaver!

Recommend level is 5 so below the Baron quest which is 6.

Just stay inside Keiras bubble shield thingy and you should be fine.

O, I will try. But it is sooo hard. Everytime I attack the monsters, my hero leaps toward them and I end up with keyboard mash...

---------- Updated at 03:04 PM ----------

I succeed this part after a few tries. Now I have a big problem with a boss - Nithral! It is bad! It almost instantly kills me. Yes, I have spent points in the skills, but it seems of no use. The enemies are just way too superior! This is not fair.

Use points in Quen sign, its a protection bubble.

Let Keira fight him while you roll away, attack him every time you got bubble on, then repeat,

Quen, 1 strong attack and roll away, repeat. Hit him in the back.

Until you feel confident in your ability against monsters, you should use quen all the time. No skill points needed and no enemy can hurt you. Only attack with the shield on. That will let you learn enemy movement without losing vitality.

Last edited:
I love it when a pack a wolves attack me now... I think "Oooh... dinner!"

I don't think I have lost any health to wolves in ages... and I'm only at level 25+ atm

Yup, learning to run away when outmatched is a good early learning process. I think I only die now when I get killed my Geralt's Combat Roller Skates Of Death (you know, where you are near the edge of something and then suddenly Geralt zooooms over the edge at crazy speed that could only mean he has rocket powered roller skates on instead of boots).

Died yesterday when I climbed up on the battlements and then got catapulted about 20 feet into the air from them lol.

Last edited:
If you are new to the game, I might encourage you to use Quen a lot. As for fighting wolves, the hard part is maybe because they surround you easily. If that's the case, you need to get yourself used to "dodge" and "combat roll". If you feel like you are surrounded, use "combat roll" instead of "dodge". That way you could decide whether to continue to fight or bolt away. Always keep your distance when fighting enemies that attacks in large groups (wolves, nekkers, drowners). And the most useful tip is "hang in there". You'll finally get to dance to the rhythm. :) (advice from someone who dies a lot, which is me)

Quen is probably my most useful sign. If you get surrounded roll away to give you some space. Also when attacked by a group I'll call Roach in. She can't be killed but a lot of enemies will go after her. Use dodge, often. I didn't think there was any way I was going to be any good at the fighting. I tend to panic when it's a hard fight or I'm way out numbered. But with practice I got pretty good at it.

Quen is probably my most useful sign. If you get surrounded roll away to give you some space. Also when attacked by a group I'll call Roach in. She can't be killed but a lot of enemies will go after her. Use dodge, often. I didn't think there was any way I was going to be any good at the fighting. I tend to panic when it's a hard fight or I'm way out numbered. But with practice I got pretty good at it.

Dont call your horse, you end up rolling around and mount it in the middle of fights.
I usual park the horse far away from fights.

Dont call your horse, you end up rolling around and mount it in the middle of fights.
I usual park the horse far away from fights.

I haven't had that problem, not once that I can recall. I do it a lot. I call Roach, she comes, some of the mob goes after her and she runs a short distance away. I fight whoever is closest and then move onto the others. She has never came right up to me and the fight. Normally tries to stay out of it.

Dear forum,

I just wanted to give you feedback how I progress. Now I am level 14 and fight well the monsters. I am still in Velen, because there are a lot of quests here to be done. Unfortunately most of them are in cities and I feel restricted in them. I so much loved to wander in the woods when the moon shines!

Thank you once again for being so supportive! I was thinking of abandoning this game. But now I love to play it.

Currently, I have developed Axii and Quen, but also started investing points in alchemy - poison chance increase. I noticed that when I place a mutagen of the same color next to three skill slots, a kind of bonus happens. But still don't get how it works.

Dear forum,

I just wanted to give you feedback how I progress. Now I am level 14 and fight well the monsters. I am still in Velen, because there are a lot of quests here to be done. Unfortunately most of them are in cities and I feel restricted in them. I so much loved to wander in the woods when the moon shines!

Thank you once again for being so supportive! I was thinking of abandoning this game. But now I love to play it.

Currently, I have developed Axii and Quen, but also started investing points in alchemy - poison chance increase. I noticed that when I place a mutagen of the same color next to three skill slots, a kind of bonus happens. But still don't get how it works.

Blue Mutagens for Blue (Magic) Skills, Red ones for Red (Combat) Skills and Green ones for green (Alchemy) skills. You can craft better mutagens that give you a higher bonus (up to 40%/60% with Synergy skill (Alchemy)) if you have 3 of the same skills in a "row" for lacking a better term.

Dear forum,

I recently bought the game and the expansion from Steam. Unfortunately it is difficult for me to stay alive in the game! It was night and I was walking in the woods, when all of a sudden a pack of wolfes attacked me! They killed me very quickly. And I was just level one!

I remember I just finished a small quest about a peasant, whose cart got attacked by a monster from the swamps. I was just starting to like the game, because I felt I would make progress. And then all of a sudden those bad wolfes!

Could you give me tips how to survive?

Thank you very much!

Awww. I remember when I was a noob, long ago, some games were difficult for me and they were not even RPGs. Tomb Raider 2 was a tough one for me. A cousin of mine, a noob, said he couldn't play Mass Effect 3 cuz the enemy killed him soon as a battle started. I gave a demonstration and turned out he didn't know he could take cover or that there were various powers. Basically he thought it was a simple FPS and "how hard can it be". There are all kinds of games that you play in different ways. As for RPGs and noobbs, at the start, play very slowly, carefully and notice all the things you can do and how to do it. There's more than one way to defeat enemies in the game as all enemies have different strengths and weaknesses and also depended on how you progress your character. This game is hard on first run even for experienced gamers. So start from the beginning. Do all tutorials and even after that, play slowly and carefully to understand how everything in the game works . Because there are many things. Slowly you'll get it. Its a bad idea to hurry at the start of any RPG,

Dear forum,

Glad to see you stuck it out . Like was mention this is not an easy game to start though it gets easier until you get your first boss battle and you may be ready to pull out your hair but just keep everything your learned up to that point in mind and learn from your mistakes there is more than one way to go at an attacker .

Dear forum,

I recently bought the game and the expansion from Steam. Unfortunately it is difficult for me to stay alive in the game! It was night and I was walking in the woods, when all of a sudden a pack of wolves attacked me! They killed me very quickly. And I was just level one!

I remember I just finished a small quest about a peasant, whose cart got attacked by a monster from the swamps. I was just starting to like the game, because I felt I would make progress. And then all of a sudden those bad wolfes!

Could you give me tips how to survive?

Thank you very much!

I know it seems hard at first, but I think you are cheating yourself playing on the easiest difficulty. It is very satisfying to play one "blood and Broken Bones" or

"death march". Remember, practice your moves with Vesimir but also...think like a Witcher!. Witchers do not just run into a fight swords ablazing. They use their training and knowledge. They get to know their enemy, prepare with potions and oils. Use those things as well as the beastiary to find out what monsters have what weakness....you will find the game far more satisfying this way than just hack and slash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom