Newbie got attacked by wolfes and died

+
I actually find the combat to be a bit mind numbing. I do not use oilas at all because i have found it just is not worth it. My advice is to build up the sign tree and just simply use the ALT key to dodge a bit then hit or use a sig. It really is pretty simple pnce u get a little used to it. Oh and you can re-map keys to your liking like i did. Makes it more comfy.

you can just run away from pretty much anything

also, train with vesemir, but preferably do it from a separate save for a couple minutes every time you play, as a warmup instead of one 30 min session that is bound to leave you bored. just beware of autosaves getting possibly overwritten.

Last edited:
I actually find the combat to be a bit mind numbing. I do not use oilas at all because i have found it just is not worth it. .

Useness of oils only depends your own built skills. In one of mine, oils in their highest level made the difference between win or die. It's hard to noticed at the first moments, but each combination can create a kind of skills in which potions, oils and mutagens can make a great difference.

Its possible to to parry/block all the time in fight mode. Even when moving, it dont interfere with other actions. Always holdthe button down during battles, until you get more confident.

Don't forget to repair your swords and armor. also you can use grindstones (these enhance your swords) located throughout the areas, can't remember if there is one in White Orchard though

Those god damn wolfes

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 28
@baerchen30 Just remember - there's no shame in GTFO. Actually, it's how the game is designed, since until lvl 30 (which you get to at the very end of the game) there are plenty of monsters way above your level one-shotting you. So just remember to jump on Roach and run like hell every time the odds are against you, since that trusty ol' horsie can outrun pretty much anything. Once you've levelled up come back for some sweet, sweet revenge.

Dear forum,

thank you very much for the positive responses. I was encouraged and started again and this time I have more fun in fighting. I advanced to level 2 and survived a few small wolf packs.

I hope you don't mind a bit off-topic here - I just want to share my experiences as a newbie in the world of Witcher 3:

There was a quest with a hunter, who confessed to me he is gay. I didn't expect such a scene in a pc game! It made the game realistic, for sure. I felt sorry for this character and chose the good response.

Also, the graphics are stunning! I was walking in the woods and then the wind started blowing... It felt so real! Or, another time, it was night and the moon was shining. Certain paths and stones were lit by the moon and creepy shadows were cast all around... OMG! Is this a game? Or is it real? It is soooo freaking real, that I shiver!

Dear forum,

thank you very much for the positive responses. I was encouraged and started again and this time I have more fun in fighting. I advanced to level 2 and survived a few small wolf packs.

I hope you don't mind a bit off-topic here - I just want to share my experiences as a newbie in the world of Witcher 3:

There was a quest with a hunter, who confessed to me he is gay. I didn't expect such a scene in a pc game! It made the game realistic, for sure. I felt sorry for this character and chose the good response.

Also, the graphics are stunning! I was walking in the woods and then the wind started blowing... It felt so real! Or, another time, it was night and the moon was shining. Certain paths and stones were lit by the moon and creepy shadows were cast all around... OMG! Is this a game? Or is it real? It is soooo freaking real, that I shiver!
hahaha that's awesome :D

Dear forum,

I'm really glad to hear that my friend. Brace yourself cause it's gonna be a hell of a ride hahaha! :yes:

No worries baerchen30. I never played Witcher 1/2, so part 3 was my first experience with this type of game. At the beginning everything was strange and combat was difficult for me. Imagine that at the beginning I was annoyed that Geralt cannot use shield (LOL). The only thing I would like to add to this thread is issue about armor and weapon - never stop looking for better one. The better weapon you have the shorter the fight will be. The shorter the fight the smaller chance for you to make serious mistake.

You're gonna be fine. I was lame at killing wolves when I started playing but now I master dodging, parrying and all the other combat mechanics just fine! You'll become a pro too if you spend time learning the dynamic combat. Plus, its gonna b useful against
mermaids
, wich pretty much have the same attack pattern as wolves, but are a hell lot stronger.

Of course he was. Wolves in The Witcher 3 tough? Bah! Try fighting these beasts in a Gothic game!

Of course he was. Wolves in The Witcher 3 tough? Bah! Try fighting these beasts in a Gothic game!

Every monster or NPC in Gothic 1,2 (especially in NOTR!!) were tough, i remember how my hand was shaking on the mouse while walking through a forest, a varg, an orc elite or skeleton warrior could've killed me with one hit at lowest level. On the other hand, Gothic 3 was a joke in terms of combat. In Witcher 3 wolves ARE tough on death march difficulty, especially at low lvl ;)

Last edited:
Well, they still die quickly. Its only important not to loose your head and go chasing after them, but always stay on the outer edge of the pack.

And actually I found Gothic 3's combat quite challenging as well. Of course I played it with the community patches, which, among other things, changed enemy ai behaviour, so that many enemies could engage you simultaniously, rather then "waiting in a queue" to be killed. Eh, these Orc towns/camps with 20+ orcs out to kill you were intense... used to run for miles to spread them and engage one by one.
It was amazing how well the reach of the weapons was done in Gothic 3... I loved the lowly scythe for its reach, though the orc halberd was nothing to sneeze at as well. Sadly at the same time the reach of many common weapon types, such as two-handed swords and axes, was totally out of whack, like shorter then one-handed swords.

Last edited:
Dear forum,

I recently bought the game and the expansion from Steam. Unfortunately it is difficult for me to stay alive in the game! It was night and I was walking in the woods, when all of a sudden a pack of wolfes attacked me! They killed me very quickly. And I was just level one!

I remember I just finished a small quest about a peasant, whose cart got attacked by a monster from the swamps. I was just starting to like the game, because I felt I would make progress. And then all of a sudden those bad wolfes!

Could you give me tips how to survive?

Thank you very much!

Trial and error my friend. Try to figure out what you like to play as. Example: Hybrid build, Magic build, Combat Build, even a Potion build which can be ridiculous at times if you find the right potions. I prefer hybrid. a mix between combat and magic. Everybody starts out slow and eventually they get better overtime, don't beat yourself up over it. This game is absolutely amazing, enjoy it, have fun and good luck.

Top Bottom