Newbie help

+
Newbie help

Mylkilbee, sorry for yousing your thread, but I don't want to sopam another similar for newbie question :) I asked the same question in "sidequest" forum, but not sure if it is not related to support subforum. So:

Is this a bug, or what?
I play on not the easiest, but also not highest difficulty (story and sword). For me Griffin's gear sidequest is marked as level 11 quest. Currently I'm level13.
So I started, went to the first location, which I have seen on the map (lately in all description I saw that there I could find Griffin's armor and it is described as last in a row). So, everything went well, I found the cave, entered, killed some wraiths. And suddenly... BAM, this guy:
http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Leshen
Level 20... Now is it normal, that for level11 quest I get level 20 oponent? when I'm still level 13? (all the tutorials tell me, that I had to meet ekimara at worst there....)
I can also mention that just before that I saw that some notice boards got yellow as if they had new quests for me (they were white and clear). After visiting them I didn't find any new quests, but they became white again. So maybe this is also related to that fact that I got level 20 oponent in level 11 quest.

@Pjovejas - I've moved your post out to a separate thread as we do prefer to keep things single-topic in Tech Support.

I play on not the easiest, but also not highest difficulty (story and sword). For me Griffin's gear sidequest is marked as level 11 quest. Currently I'm level13.
So I started, went to the first location, which I have seen on the map (lately in all description I saw that there I could find Griffin's armor and it is described as last in a row). So, everything went well, I found the cave, entered, killed some wraiths. And suddenly... BAM, this guy:
http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Leshen
Level 20... Now is it normal, that for level11 quest I get level 20 oponent? when I'm still level 13? (all the tutorials tell me, that I had to meet ekimara at worst there....)

If that's where I think it is, you don't need to kill the Leshen to get the Griffin's gear. You stumbled on something else that just happened to be in the same area. And yes, that can happen.

If that's where I think it is, you don't need to kill the Leshen to get the Griffin's gear. You stumbled on something else that just happened to be in the same area. And yes, that can happen.
Nah that is not the case. I entered that cave, killed some wraith along in that cave, destroyed one wall with Ard (just like in tutorials). And then that Leshen... imediately behind the wall, next coridor. strange.

Nah that is not the case. I entered that cave, killed some wraith along in that cave, destroyed one wall with Ard (just like in tutorials). And then that Leshen... imediately behind the wall, next coridor. strange.

It's the Dragonsslayer's grotto if I remember rightly. Then you must kill the Leshen. Use vampire oils, Quen and jump around if he uses his special attacks. I hope it helps a little bit...

sigh... I guess so, but how it can be such nonsence? quest lvl11, leshen (level 20) inside... + also near the main road in one place (just near that cave, where I went with Keira Metz to look for mysterious elf mage also lvl20 griffin flying... somehow balance changed I guess...

sigh... I guess so, but how it can be such nonsence? quest lvl11, leshen (level 20) inside... + also near the main road in one place (just near that cave, where I went with Keira Metz to look for mysterious elf mage also lvl20 griffin flying... somehow balance changed I guess...

I agree 100% with you. The levels of the enemies are sometimes hard to comprehend for every player. It's even worse with the level advises in the later game... They are mostly too low in my opinion... But the game is great we'll survive... :horse:

Err. I know that there is a lvl 20 Leshen roaming around in the woods between the Dragonslayer's Grotto and Redoran Estate and Downwarren, but you say he was inside the Dragonslayer's Grotto, behind a breakable wall?
:uma:

A Leshen, right? Antlers, tree-like, spell effects with roots and stuff. Not some often near-invisible giant bat-rat with claws (that's an Ekimmara, and the Ekimmara belongs into this place and requires vampire oil etc)?

If you really ran into the Leshen in the grotto, then something borked out in your game. Maybe he did glitch through the ground and ended up in the grotto.

It is most certainly not by design that the lvl 20 Leshen lurks in this place. Ignore all these statements about "yes, that is how it is supposed to be" that people said earlier, because the Leshen really is out of place in the Dragonslayer's Grotto.

But there are ways to deal with the situation you have there. You can choose between:

- leave this place, wait until you can actually hurt that Leshen (lvl 15+ should do the trick)
- use Relict Oil and everything you got! Igni works well, but so does Quen, with fast attacks you can sometimes nail him down against a wall if you just keep pressing. Fight an epic battle with this gliched Leshen! Win and be proud! ;)

If you leave this place and do other things for a while, the Leshen might actually zoink back to where he should be, while you're not looking. Restarting the game could also do that trick.

Or if you want to fight him, consider using the options->gameplay->difficulty slider to your advantage for this fight. Easiest setting, relict oil and everything you got could do it. :)

Last edited:
It's the Dragonsslayer's grotto if I remember rightly. Then you must kill the Leshen. Use vampire oils, Quen and jump around if he uses his special attacks. I hope it helps a little bit...

Of sorry for my mistake. Yes it's not a leshen, it's a vampire I don't remind the species... I'm so sorry! :innocent: The leshen is outside. But he can go on the players nerves too last time I left the cave he waited outside and before I could react... Ferald was dead! :eek:uch:

Ferald :)

Yeah, I'd this mental image of something lurking in the background but it was an Ekimarra.

And you can avoid it. If you watch where it roams, it's possible to get to the gear without attracting its attention.

Ferald :)

Yeah, I'd this mental image of something lurking in the background but it was an Ekimarra.

And you can avoid it. If you watch where it roams, it's possible to get to the gear without attracting its attention.

Yeah If the fingers are faster than the head...

Gerald of course... :thumbup:

To avoid enemies is sometimes a little bit complicated because they are walking arround. In my case I had a bad luck...

Guys, Pjovejas writes that he met the Leshen inside the cave, behind a breakable wall in the corridors with the wraiths. That's clearly a bug, and he clearly can't sneak around it.

Some z-axis issue. I had wraiths from Peace Disturbed roam around aboveground, near the merchant's camp next to Kaer Trolde one time, too. And I triggered traps in Reardon Manor one time while inside of the piggie temple of Fool's Gold.

Last edited:
Guys, Pjovejas writes that he met the Leshen inside the cave, behind a breakable wall in the corridors with the wraiths. That's clearly a bug, and he clearly can't sneak around it.

Some z-axis issue. I had wraiths from Peace Disturbed roam around aboveground, near the merchant's camp next to Kaer Trolde one time, too. And I triggered traps in Reardon Manor one time while inside of the piggie temple of Fool's Gold.

You are absolutely right, Lytha. I met that Leshen INSIDE, behind that wall. And indeed I stumbled on that roaming Leshen in the woods outside before (had to reload Because the fight was too long and I was doing too little dmg to him, too slow). I also suspected that it got bugged and it fell underground somehow :) . Well I’ll try to reload some older save and try again. Thanks for comments everyone.

If the reload does not fix it, I would leave the place alone until level 15+.

You do not need to worry about losing XP because the quest might be grey instead of green - witcher gear treasure hunts do not give XP anyway. If it's the armor stats you're after... some basic other medium armor shouldn't be THAT much worse.

But if it's the armor looks you're after, it's tougher... then you might want to actually try the epic Leshen fight after all! ;)

Is he in the corridor with the poisonous gas cloud mushrooms or before that? Igni on the gas and the Leshen in the middle of it all might be fun to do.

Well, after some consideration I decided to fight Leshen. It was long fight, but finally the creature is dead :) So I have Griffin trousers, gauntlets, armor and boots :) (hooray!) Now it is time to look for swords (since only now I see their markers on map).
But now there is a question: do I loose any "bonus" if I dismantle any set of armor? I mean, now I wear full set of nilfgaardian armor. I see that at least griffin gauntlets and boots are better than nilfgaardian ones. So, if I change nilfgaardia boots to griffin boots, but leave nilfgaardian armor I still don't loose any "undocumented" bonus for wearing full set of same armor?
(not sure if I you'll understand my question, since my english is not very good :))

PS: I still had to fight ekimara after leshen. So it was the same leshen in cave, that wondered above. Because I didn't find second leshen when I got outside the cave through illusion "backdoor".

Last edited:
Well, after some consideration I decided to fight Leshen. It was long fight, but finally the creature is dead :) So I have Griffin trousers, gauntlets, armor and boots :) (hooray!) Now it is time to look for swords (since only now I see their markers on map).
But now there is a question: do I loose any "bonus" if I dismantle any set of armor? I mean, now I wear full set of nilfgaardian armor. I see that at least griffin gauntlets and boots are better than nilfgaardian ones. So, if I change nilfgaardia boots to griffin boots, but leave nilfgaardian armor I still don't loose any "undocumented" bonus for wearing full set of same armor?
(not sure if I you'll understand my question, since my english is not very good :))

PS: I still had to fight ekimara after leshen. So it was the same leshen in cave, that wondered above. Because I didn't find second leshen when I got outside the cave through illusion "backdoor".

Congratulations!!! No there aren't undocumented bonuses. The only point you must spend attention is your special ability for easy, medium and heavy armor in your character menue... You get only so much bonuses (or boni... it sounds more normal for me because of the Latin form, sorry...) as you wear armor of that group... I hope it's understandable what I mean... :evil:

The funny thing now is that I can't find blaksmith qualified enough to craft me a griffin silver sword...

I pumped into this Leshen yesterday! I went into that grotto very confident with myself (lvl 7 Geralt, lvl 11 quest, blood and broken bones) :D

I killed almost every wraith but one left alive. I killed that Ekimmara too and got my Griffin recipes. I got out of that lair and noticed, that my map still showed this place with white marker, so I got back there. I had missed something. I thought it was that left alive wraith, but just when I was going to kill it, that Leshen showed up and scared the s*it out of me. I managed to kill it, so this really must be a bug. That Leshen just practically stood there teleporting once in a while and if you keep very close to it, you can avoid hes branch attacks quite well. I didn't do much damage, so it was quite a long fight, but Leshen didn't hit me that many times. Although he almost killed me a couple times...

Now I hope that I don't face any trouble because of this later in the game :question: Was that run away Leshen quest related or "just Leshen"? I can't remember.

Edit: I forgot to loot some stuff near that grave, so that's why my map marker was still white. Now it's grey :)

Edit edit: This is my third game and I didn't see that Leshen there in my previous games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom