Newbie in the game.

+
Cheers mates, I'm new at the game. Is it possible to get it some basic tooltips from experienced players, please? I'm an active Hearthstone player (since 2016 +/-) so I know something about card games. The first point is I would like to be a "f2p" player in this game because Hearthstone sucked my wallet. The first question therefore arises.
  1. Is this game playable at "f2p"? Yes I know this game is "f2p", Hearthstone is too but... you know what do I mean...? Is this here same problem? "No pay, no fun" condition?
  2. How much time is required to build decks for "f2p" players?
  3. What first recommend you for a newbie? Just grinding Arena like a Hearthstone for game currency, material, or something like that?
  4. What first in Reward Book? Is there any faction I should start with?
  5. Any other important hints, tips, and tricks?
Thank you for your answers and your time guys.

Best regards!

Regarding your F2P question:

Gwent is a Free To Play Online Collectible Card Game (F2P CCG). As with (almost) every collectible card game, online or otherwise, one of the goals is to collect cards. You do this by buying booster packs. The F2P element is that you can get these booster packs when spending time instead of money. The fact that you can buy boosters and as such buy an advantage means the game is pay to win (P2W) in the strictest sense. However, it's important to note that this applies to the whole F2P CCG genre. So it's pointless to argue whether or not Gwent is P2W. Instead you should compare the game with other CCG and ask how generous Gwent is. The conclusion is that Gwent is one of the most generous F2P CCG.

So, how can you earn rewards as a F2P player?
1. Daily quest
2. Daily tiers, by winning 6/12/24 rounds
3. GG rewards at the end of the match
4. A leveling system that gives you rewards and unique perks (which, in turn, offers you more rewards)
5. A monthly faction challenge offering extra rewards by completing quests
6. Playing ranked, even at lower ranked you'll receive some rewards at the end of the month
7. Daily login rewards (added in the latest patch).

How is Gwent different from Hearthstone and Magic the Gathering: Arena, for F2P players?
1. Smaller deck size (making it easier to create competitive decks)
2. You cannot fill your deck with only legendary cards (unlike with HS and MtG, making those decks very expensive)
3. Less frequent expansions with less cards (making it easier to keep up with the collection)
4. And, as noted in the previous paragraph, it's easier to earn rewards.

On a final note, for the sake of full disclosure, I have to mention that Gwent's economy did change when Gwent came out of beta. As a result, premium cards have become more difficult to obtain, but this doesn't affect the gameplay. No refunds for tweaked cards does have some impact, but it's still manageable.

Payus

Forum regular
4RM3D to the rescue xd. Such detailed answer.

My 2 cents :

- Gwent is the fairest f2p game ever. I never spent a dime and got everything pretty fast, I became a paying player once they did expansions and only because I thought I'd give back since they game gave me so much for free.

My advice is to just play regularly, maybe 30 min to an hour daily and you will earn enough. Stay away from arena if your goal is to win resources, the rewards are not bad, but you need a decent knowledge of the game's cardpool and mechanics to be proefficient there.

1. [...]
  3. What first recommend you for a newbie? Just grinding Arena like a Hearthstone for game currency, material, or something like that?

To go further into the other points...

A competitive deck costs about 7000 scraps. Not sure how quickly you can accumulate that because you might get lucky from kegs, speeding up the process. I guess you should be able to make one in about 2 weeks, when you do all the F2P things I have mentioned in my previous post.

Arena actually isn't all that efficient because you cannot complete your dailies and some of the other quests, which actually gives you the most materials. However, if you have an above average win-rate, you can still play Arena on top of that. So, to be clear, you should always play the "normal" matches you get your dailies done.

Since the last update, all leaders are already unlocked, meaning the reward book no longer gives unique gameplay rewards. Instead, all the nodes just give materials and the occasional keg(s). In the leader book, you can unlock the leader skin, but that's purely cosmetic. All this means, there is no longer a specific path you need to walk. I would just pick a faction and leader you want to play and focus on that first.

The strongest faction is Syndicate, which is also the most difficult to play for new players. As such I wouldn't recommend it. The easiest faction to play right now is probably Nilfgaard or Monsters. Every month the meta changes, though because there are balance patches and expansions. You can check the current meta decks here. Though, please note that's not an actually representation of the meta, but just the opinion of some pro-players.

More info for beginners:
Official GWENT Guide
The Unofficial Gwent Glossary [28.6.2019]

First I think something has to be done for the new players communication. I understand that forum has to be kept clean but the 10 red point rule leads to this (a newbie has to open a topic in technical ). New players need a place to discuss strategies, counters, deck design issues ect.

On topic:
The game is very very kind to free players. I have played regulary since the two months I am here and I can afford most cards of my faction (Its just a waste from scrap perspective because you devalue your kegs future pull chances)

Your minimum aim should be finishing the first two daily crown rewards on the days you can play. Take your time to check out the cards of the factions, you should dedicate yourself only to one at the beginning.

Spread your keg purchases at the beginning to get the bronzes of all Expansions, then try to focus on basic keggs as it is the biggest card release with the highest chance to gain golden cards. IGNORE NOVIGRAD Kegs!. Unless you completely dedicate yourself to this faction the whole release wont contribute to your usable cardpool at all.

The best way to gain resources is to Play, mainly classic or seasonal (most likely your cardpool is too small for specific decks but sometimes you can get lucky). Ignore Arena.

Important sites:

I focused on one faction at first and every keg I grabbed I picked the neutrals or Northern realms (which is what I was planning on playing) it was pretty easy back then and still is for most part to make some competitive decks if you stay this way as a f2p. I eventually bought kegs but didn't really need to. If you focus on making a meta deck because everyone else is playing it, it could get nerfed and your scraps and kegs will be wasted. So play what faction you like.Arena is good to get the feel of different factions all at once and then decide where to fosus your interests. Overall though the game is very fair though.

I'm a returning beta player, so I have quite the amount of resources to craft whatever I would want (started with 32K Scrap upon my return), however, instead of doing that, I just started opening kegs and craft only what I thought I really needed. All in all, I spent about 4K Scrap on crafting cards, I'm just sitting on the rest at this point.

1) As the above poster has said, ignore Novigrad kegs. At least until you become proficient with the basics and completed a season or two in a rank you are satisfied with.
2) Just pick a faction you like and try to stick to it. Or pick two if you can't decide.
3) If you like bloodsucking/health fortifying effects, buy Crimson kegs. If you enjoy messing around with Armor, buy Iron Judgment ones more. Otherwise buy as many base kegs as you can (until you start receiving mostly dupes).

Especially in the beginning, you get so much Ore and Kegs from rewards and easy challenges that you get most of the cards in a set relatively easily, if you focus on a single faction. When was the last time when you could open 9 packs in HearthStone just by playing the game for an hour or so? It slows down obviously, but I still open multiple Kegs every day.

I'm also a new player but I can offer a tip or two I picked up in the few days I've been playing.

1. Forget about your cards for the first few hours and learn to truly understand the game mechanics. Having a solid deck will be useless until you understand the key concepts. The most important of these is card advantage. You have to learn to not only play the round you're on but to consider what your position will be going into the next round. You have to win 2 out of 3 rounds and often the 3rd round will be the deciding round. You do not have to continue playing a round when it's clear you are either far ahead or far behind. So learn when to pass and when to push a round to gain advantage. I suggest watching some of the many tutorials on YouTube as a start and then just play a few games. You'll soon get the hang of it.

2. For the first few days you'll be stuck with the starter deck. Now, this is not to say you can't change it. As you win rounds and progress you'll get quite a lot of kegs to supplement your library. Again, YouTube is a great resource for looking at some good starter decks for beginners that will cost very few resources. Keep playing and refining your starter deck until you're happy with it. Remember, you'll be matched against other new players with starter decks so focus on honing your strategies, learning individual card mechanics and having fun.

3. If you're unsure what a card does Google it. Some of the card mechanics can be a bit confusing if you don't know the terminology so to get the best out of a card make sure you know what it does and how to best capitalize on it.

4. Remember, this is not HS or MTG. There's no card vs card vs player battle here. It's all about who has the most points when the round ends and you're in it for 3 rounds.

Have fun!

As a new player who has is a few weeks in, my take:

No worries with fun as a f2p player. Arenas are plenty of fun, and are paying for themselves so far. I think I'm competent, and going 4-3 + gg bonuses seems enough to turn a profit. I'm up to 21 with unlocking mosaics, and have had some issues with the mtg-like unfun games against someone with a deck full of rares, but they're not hugely common.

Biggest thing I wish I knew earlier: how these daily crowns work. I only found out yesterday by googling 'gwent daily crown' because one of the seasonal quests requires me to complete 4 of them. Basically, if you win 6 rounds in classic/seasonal games, you get a reward, in particular the keys you use in the reward book. Then again at 12, 12, 24 more rounds. This resets each day. Getting at least 6 rounds every day you play should be a high priority.

The rules around deckbuilding could be clearer, I haven't found any obvious page that explains things like 'you can only have 1 copy of a particular gold card, 2 of a bronze, in a single deck', which would have been nice to know before opening ~50 kegs.
Post automatically merged:

No worries with fun as a f2p player

I take that back. Need to use 30 or 35 purify cards for season quest. Need to win games as monsters for daily quest. So I make a vampire deck using all the available purify options I have, I win the first two games against other starterish decks. Then 5 games in a row it's NR, turn 1 or 2 use special to play extra card, which is vernon roche, ranged unit with zeal hits vernon for 1, followed by hen gaidth sword to kill vernon & respawn him, and now there are 5 units with multiple charges and the game is toast after turn 2, and 5 different players are doing it with almost identical decks. That's no fun for anyone. Wouldn't be fun for me to be on the winning side of that, either. Even more tedious when the guy on the other side is clearly new, has paid for whatever he needed to craft the deck, and takes the time limit every turn to use all the charges.

Last edited:
As a new player who has is a few weeks in, my take:

No worries with fun as a f2p player. Arenas are plenty of fun, and are paying for themselves so far. I think I'm competent, and going 4-3 + gg bonuses seems enough to turn a profit. I'm up to 21 with unlocking mosaics, and have had some issues with the mtg-like unfun games against someone with a deck full of rares, but they're not hugely common.

Biggest thing I wish I knew earlier: how these daily crowns work. I only found out yesterday by googling 'gwent daily crown' because one of the seasonal quests requires me to complete 4 of them. Basically, if you win 6 rounds in classic/seasonal games, you get a reward, in particular the keys you use in the reward book. Then again at 12, 12, 24 more rounds. This resets each day. Getting at least 6 rounds every day you play should be a high priority.

The rules around deckbuilding could be clearer, I haven't found any obvious page that explains things like 'you can only have 1 copy of a particular gold card, 2 of a bronze, in a single deck', which would have been nice to know before opening ~50 kegs.
Post automatically merged:

I take that back. Need to use 30 or 35 purify cards for season quest. Need to win games as monsters for daily quest. So I make a vampire deck using all the available purify options I have, I win the first two games against other starterish decks. Then 5 games in a row it's NR, turn 1 or 2 use special to play extra card, which is vernon roche, ranged unit with zeal hits vernon for 1, followed by hen gaidth sword to kill vernon & respawn him, and now there are 5 units with multiple charges and the game is toast after turn 2, and 5 different players are doing it with almost identical decks. That's no fun for anyone. Wouldn't be fun for me to be on the winning side of that, either. Even more tedious when the guy on the other side is clearly new, has paid for whatever he needed to craft the deck, and takes the time limit every turn to use all the charges.
Welcome to gwent. Double Rouche is a broken tactic. I hate it but it's not the worst of what's out there. Not to be a downer but enjoy the early ranks because by the time you hit rank 12 and below you will see the same couple broken decks every match.

Old veteran player here.

1) IMO don't ever play seasonal. It's really just incredibly unbalanced nonsense which will probably just make you rusty at playing ladder/casual since they have basically nothing to do with each other.

2) If certain meta decks are driving you crazy one option is too just take a break until next patch. CDPR sometimes takes absolutely forever to do any meaningful balancing to correct certain OP cards and mechanics. Pincer Maneuver for Northern Realms is very overpowered and will be tuned down eventually. One fun counter to stop the Gaidith sword is to wait until they play vernon and then drop your defender next to it. It will buy you some time.

3) Netdecks is normal for this game so to some extent you have to get used to it. People play to win and the easiest way to do that is to find an overpowered deck and copy it. Some people hate that but that's really just part of the game. All you can do is hope the devs balance the game well enough that there is at least some diversity in the meta to keep it from getting really stale.

Cheers mates, I'm new at the game. Is it possible to get it some basic tooltips from experienced players, please? I'm an active Hearthstone player (since 2016 +/-) so I know something about card games. The first point is I would like to be a "f2p" player in this game because Hearthstone sucked my wallet. The first question therefore arises.
  1. Is this game playable at "f2p"? Yes I know this game is "f2p", Hearthstone is too but... you know what do I mean...? Is this here same problem? "No pay, no fun" condition?
Thank you for your answers and your time guys.

Best regards!
1)no but there are beta veterans that have a huuuge advantage in cards pools (I'm one of those ) having nearly all cards for all the expansions that had been released and still having 20k scraps

2 ) cant says per sure but if by daily rewards it could be 1 week to have a decent deck from zero

3) no arena is a mess seasonal is also a mess, just play normal and sorry of you cant find players at low levels (bad decision by cdpr )

4) focus only in one faction for now if not you are going to place reward points all over the place and no unlock anything important (focus on scraps ore rewards)

5) the game still feels like is in beta so have patience

Welcome to gwent. Double Rouche is a broken tactic. I hate it but it's not the worst of what's out there. Not to be a downer but enjoy the early ranks because by the time you hit rank 12 and below you will see the same couple broken decks every match.

Going from 30 to 21 has been fun. It'll be a lot less fun if I reach a point where everyone is playing one of half a dozen decks, and I'm required to build a deck to counter those if I want to be competitive.

1) IMO don't ever play seasonal. It's really just incredibly unbalanced nonsense which will probably just make you rusty at playing ladder/casual since they have basically nothing to do with each other.

I like the variety. I like having to think on my feet. I play deck-building games because I like building decks, trying out new things.

One fun counter to stop the Gaidith sword is to wait until they play vernon and then drop your defender next to it. It will buy you some time.

Doesn't work so well when you don't get a turn because they've played both Vernon & Sword on the same turn. Or you don't have a defender.

3) Netdecks is normal for this game so to some extent you have to get used to it.

Yeah, it's the same with any 2 player CCG, I think. Multiplayer can alleviate it a bit.

Some people hate that but that's really just part of the game.

Part of the game it may be, but I'll still hate it. I suspect it'll stop me playing longterm.

All you can do is hope the devs balance the game well enough that there is at least some diversity in the meta to keep it from getting really stale.

This is the bit that I think could be done better. My experience of other 2 player CCGs is that epic/legendary cards are just flat out better. Which means highly competitive decks end up being made almost exclusively of rare/epic/legendary cards, common cards see virtually no play, and a deck made up of all commons sinply can't compete. I'll compare it to V:TES, which was originally designed by Richard Garfield after he did MtG, and corrected some of its issues. A deck of all commons there can hold its own. Rare cards are generally rare because you don't need as many, not because they're overpowered and you want as many as possible. There are still annoying archetypes, there are still certain cards you get tired of seeing (though most of those are commons with high utility), there is the odd broken combo that emerges and gets fixed, but a huge collection/a large number of the rarest cards mainly means you can have a lot of different decks built, it's not a requirement for having a competitive deck.

So far, the game is fun for me, but I can see signs that will be frustrating. I think I'll end up playing more arena than anything else, because it is a relatively level playing field, it is about being able to build a deck as much as play someone else's, and opponents have variety.

I'd like to be able to use some of the other leader skins in arena though. Get tired of always having the default ones.

5 games in a row it's NR, turn 1 or 2 use special to play extra card, which is vernon roche, ranged unit with zeal hits vernon for 1, followed by hen gaidth sword to kill vernon & respawn him, and now there are 5 units with multiple charges and the game is toast after turn 2, and 5 different players are doing it with almost identical decks. That's no fun for anyone.

On the other hand, it is deeply satisfying to play one quick game before work, face the same deck yet again, and beat it with my own deck made without a single crafted card. :D

Last edited:
Thank you everybody for fruity answers!

I chose NORTHERN REALMS like the first target. There is my first budget deck:

Last edited:
Hey, after a few days, I managed to pretty much improve the previous deck. The game is really generous compared to Hearthstone (as you wrote).

Top Bottom