Next-Gen Hitman

+
There was a reddit AMA where some guy part of the hitman community was invited to IO interactive to play the new hitman and just now IO interactive allowed him to discuss it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/HiTMAN/comments/3a2faj/ive_played_hitman_ask_me_almost_anything/

Some highlights.
There was a 'near crime scene' distinction. Wherein just because a body was discovered, it didn't mean necessarily that your disguise was found out. You'd still be under suspicion, but just like everyone else, and it seemed like you could participate for the search for yourself - as long as there weren't any of the special observant guards around. But if you were within the radius (it was shown clearly on the map, and was non-circular/based on sightlines), you were blamed for the crime and made as a result.

I carried my sniper rifle in via suitcase, and carefully repacked it to leave. 47 also made attempts to hide weapons when out - for example when approaching a guard from the front, 47 would tuck the handgun behind his back somewhat, meaning I could get closer to guards without alerting them, but not if guards could also see my back.
We were told the upgrades system was still a work in progress during our build.

Yes and yes. Playing this game felt, in many ways, like playing a modern Blood Money. Which is all I wanted.
It was frustrating at times, it was deep, at the end of it I felt like I had only just scratched the surface of the possibilities of the map. I felt like I could have replayed it for a 4th or 5th time and still be doing a completely different line of events to get a more satsifying outcome.
By the end of our time with the game I had just started to get to the really satisfying part of a Blood Money level, when you know the board, know the big pieces, and can start to abuse that foreknowledge to do amazing things.

"modern blood money" sounds promising.

after the embarrassment that was absolution, they had better do it right this time.

AngryJoe Interviews for the upcoming Hitman Reboot! What exactly is it? An evolving game over the next couple of years? How will it work?

Hmm. Joe tried like hell to get him to confirm the retail game is a satisfying, self contained experience. To no avail. What they're doing all hinges on that. If the base game really has good content, a beginning middle and end, and then the part that evolves is just the world living after that, then it sounds like a great move. But I'm still a bit skeptical they'll deliver a a gimped game at first and then make it a full one over time.

Hmm. Joe tried like hell to get him to confirm the retail game is a satisfying, self contained experience. To no avail. What they're doing all hinges on that. If the base game really has good content, a beginning middle and end, and then the part that evolves is just the world living after that, then it sounds like a great move. But I'm still a bit skeptical they'll deliver a a gimped game at first and then make it a full one over time.
that's how i feel. the concept is promissing, it's basically non-invasive free DLC/expansion that blends perfectly with the game. but as you said, i'm worried a bit about the main game at release.

Incredibly, I'm about as confused and uninformed about the whole post-release plan as before I watched that. This guy is a true master at evading questions, changing topics, and PR-speak. Talk about having confidence in your game.

Tuco

Forum veteran

AngryJoe Interviews for the upcoming Hitman Reboot! What exactly is it? An evolving game over the next couple of years? How will it work?
Sounds like the idea is to release base game, with plans to add extra missions over time.
I'm not even sure what's supposed to be so confusing about it.

I dont get what their marketing people are doing, as far as i can tell they are releasing a basic game which will be expanded upon within the coming years with free content.

I doubt many people would have a problem with this, after all this is IO Interactive and not some random early access developer, so why not just say it like it is instead of acting so fucking shady about it?

because they want to give themselves room to wiggle out of these boasts and promises when they can't deliver on them.

Got a Q&A that talks about their plan.
https://hitman.com/en-us/news/hitman-q-a

How exactly are you releasing HITMAN?
We’re doing things a bit differently, as you may have read in our 'Announcing HITMAN' blog post. HITMAN will launch on PS4, Xbox One and PC on December 8th this year as a digital download. That’s when the experience will begin. And it’s really important to us that this is understood as a ‘beginning’.

What we release on December 8th is not the full game. It’s a sizeable chunk of it. Throughout 2016 we’ll release more locations and missions until the story arc is done and finished. All of that content is included in the $60 price.
We know that the specifics of exactly what is included on December 8th are very important to some of you. We’re finalizing those plans and look forward to sharing them with you. Stay tuned for more details on this.

Is HITMAN an ‘early access’ game?
No. Early access can often mean something unfinished or unpolished. That’s simply not the approach we’re taking. All of the content we release live to our players will be complete and polished, whether that’s the locations and missions we release on December 8th, the live events or the locations and missions that we will release in 2016. It will always be a polished Hitman experience.

Is HITMAN episodic now?
We think the word ‘episodic’ sets up the expectation that we will sell individual content drops for individual prices but that’s not something we're planning to do. That said, there are some episodic elements to the story in the sense that it’s delivered in chunks over time, so experiencing the story will probably feel episodic. But there is also a ton of other content including live events, which have nothing to do with the story. We’ll also be improving and changing the game constantly whilst you’re playing it. Our ambition is to have a stream of content available from December 8th until the story arc is finished.
The thing is, there isn’t really a term to describe what we’re doing. That’s why we’re calling it a ‘live’ experience because it feels like that’s what it is – something that lives, grows and evolves. This question was asked a lot at E3 and if anyone out there comes up with a brilliant term, please get in touch. Seriously.

What does it all cost? How much do I have to pay to experience everything?
The entire game will cost you $60 or the regional equivalent.
That $60 includes everything we create in this story arc; from what we release on December 8th through to the end of the story arc in 2016 and all the live events too. There’s no micro-transactions or hidden costs in there. No extra paid DLC on top either. It’s one package, all-in for $60. We want that to be simple and clear and it was important for us to be up-front about that.

Is HITMAN digital only?
No, we’re leading with digital, so it’s ‘digital first’. At some point in 2016, we’ll release the game on a disc.

Can I play HITMAN offline or do you have to be connected all the time?
You will be able to play the locations and missions offline. To play the live events, download updates or see things like leaderboards, you’ll need you to be online.

Those are the questions that we’ve seen the most discussion around. We’re sure there will be more as what we’re doing here is new. It's a great feeling for us to read all of the discussions around a game that we're so passionate about making. Keep that conversation going. We’re listening.
Next stop for us is Gamescom. We’ll see you there.

(Personally I'm all for it, don't find much reason to revisit almost any game after playing once, this approach is something I'd love... if done right.)

Last edited:
briefcase not shown, everything gets highlighted in white. magical abilities and the like.

looks atrocious. they learned nothing from absolution

Top Bottom