Next-Gen Modding "The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition" on GoG...

+
Hi All!

I have "The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition" on GoG. I am about to install it. I want to be able to add a few mods. Also, I want the latest Next Gen version of the game.

I have some questions that I can't find answers to. Sorry if these are newbie questions:

1) Are there any limitations to modding the GoG version compared to the Steam version?

2) Are there any instructions on how to install the game now, but be able to actually add the mods later when the Next Gen compatible mods get updated? Should I install any mod managers or anything now before I start playing? I am having trouble finding an up-to-date guide.

Thanks for any help!

1) Are there any limitations to modding the GoG version compared to the Steam version?
None that I know of; in the past, I have been able to literally copy/paste my mods folder between GOG and Steam installations.
The game does not have a Steam Workshop, so the availability of mods is the same on both platforms.

(Post moved to a new thread. You can edit the thread title, if you want.)

Thanks for the response and creating the new thread for me! I have slightly changed the thread title.

Now I am hoping for an answer to my 2nd question from above (I realize these are still "early days" on Next-Gen modding):

2) Are there any instructions on how to install the game now, but be able to actually add the mods later when the Next Gen compatible mods get updated? Should I install any mod managers or anything now before I start playing? I am having trouble finding an up-to-date guide.

Thanks for the response and creating the new thread for me! I have slightly changed the thread title.

Now I am hoping for an answer to my 2nd question from above (I realize these are still "early days" on Next-Gen modding):

Right now are many mods compatible with NG Update but You don't have to install any mods right now, you can do it on any time, with or without mod menager (it's just simplefise this process).

Right now are many mods compatible with NG Update but You don't have to install any mods right now, you can do it on any time, with or without mod menager (it's just simplefise this process).
Thanks for the reply! I know that it is very basic, but this is actually the kind of info I am looking for. I have a lot of experience modding Skyrim SE, but I don't know where to start with this game. I will install GOG Galaxy and W3 now.

1) Which mod manager should I use?

2) Can you or anyone link me a good source of current modding info? A guide or something?

3) With the new Next-Gen version including many popular mods, what are some other mods that I still might want to add as I install this game? A short list, perhaps?

Thanks again!

1) This one:

2) I think this video guide will be enough:
but if u want install just few mods, then you can just create in <Witcher 3 instalation folder> folder with name: Mods
and manualy just copy there downloaded, unpacked mod files ( with his folder)
f.e. for Enhanced Water mod instalation folder should looks like this (ofc ur game instalation folder may be different)
1676810008657.png

and thats it, you don't need to select anything in mod manager, this program only simplifies this process and can verify if its something go wrong

3) This is list of mods that are included in NG or has been updated:

- and this is Ultimate High End Mod List Guide - Next Gen: ( you can choose only thoes what you like):

Last edited:
The biggest differences between Skyrim and Witcher 3 is you need to learn how to merge scripts in Witcher 3 although most merges work automatically with the Witcher 3 Script Merger. The other thing you need to be aware of is mod precedent when you have multiple mods touching the same assets mainly textures. In Skyrim the last mod in your list takes precedent and overrides the early ones but in Witcher 3 it's the exact opposite, the first in the load order takes precedent over the ones later in the load order.

The biggest differences between Skyrim and Witcher 3 is you need to learn how to merge scripts in Witcher 3 although most merges work automatically with the Witcher 3 Script Merger. The other thing you need to be aware of is mod precedent when you have multiple mods touching the same assets mainly textures. In Skyrim the last mod in your list takes precedent and overrides the early ones but in Witcher 3 it's the exact opposite, the first in the load order takes precedent over the ones later in the load order.
Thanks, that is all very useful! Very good to know...

BTW, I watched the video linked above and it really helped me with Script Merger. I got the first person mod working. It is pretty cool!

Generally as a rule Witcher 3 is easier to mod than Skyrim and the modding community is friendlier .... There always seems to be some sort of drama going on in the Skyrim mod community

Yes, the Skyrim modding community is huge. There is a lot of drama, but there is just a lot of everything there! I do really appreciate the friendly help I am receiving here!

I admit that I am jumping into the Witcher 3 due to the Next-Gen update. Sorry to all who had their favorite mod setup messed up by Next-Gen; many of us are still going thru that with the Skyrim AE update.

If anyone else is reading this thread for the same "Next-Gen" reason, the great mod I mentioned above, Gervant First Person - 4.01, has updated install directions. The above video helped a lot with how to install it, but definitely also follow the new directions on the mod page. The video was really helpful and a great choice for a newbie like me to this game, but hopefully more up-to-date videos will come out now that the Next-Gen updates are more stable.

So I have The Witcher 3 Mod Manager, Witcher Script Merger, and Gervant First Person so far. While I am trying to avoid the massive mod list I have on Skyrim, does anyone have a favorite short list of other mods to add to Next-Gen? Thanks again for making this easy-ish!

If you want to try optimalize ur W3 NG performance, It could be helpful with modding, then check here:

Top Bottom