Next patch rampant speculations

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hope they can stay focused, work at a healthy pace, and put it out when it's ready. 23:59:59, March 31st if they have to... or delay it again. Truly. Don't rush the fucking thing.

Would you mind elaborating on this, please? You're not suggesting they add ray tracing and/or 4k 60fps (barely doable on top of the line PCs even at this moment) on PS4 and Xbox One somehow, correct? What next-gen features are you talking about?

I'm not trying to be antagonistic about this. I'm genuinely curious what you mean. Next Gen and the expansions/DLC are two different things. There isn't even a running NCART model on PS4 to reduce frametime last I checked.
No -- I get your question.

What I mean is: when CDPR released the game, it came with Minimum Requirements. Those cannot now be changed. Nor can the Recommended Requirements for the original version of the game.

What I can do, however, is release optional updates and enhancements that increase the Minimum/Recommended Requirements. These might be in the form of a "remaster" of the game...or they may be in the form of a "high-res texture pack"...or they may be in the form of optional graphical enhancement DLC...or they may be in the form of new graphical options to toggle on/off in the options menu.

But I cannot overwrite the old version of the game in such a way that people that originally bought it, according to the Minimum Requirements at the time of the game's original release, are now no longer able to run it. If I marketed that game, I must continue to support it as is. (Or I can't sell it. If I try to change the requirements after people have bought it, that would definitely be a bait-and-switch. That would be fraud.)

So, that leaves CDPR with only the ability to provide players with options.

Pretty easy to manage on PC. Maybe trickier to manage on consoles, but the core responsibilities of any studio to honor the purchases made by their customers still holds true. CP2077 on XB1 and PS4 cannot run the Next-Gen Update. People with minimum specs on PC cannot run the Next-Gen Update. They still need the game supported in that state.

Hence, there will always be a supported version of the non-Next-Gen version of the game. The vanilla version. If it's available for some...why restrict it for others? That would be needlessly complicating the situation.

Therefore, I'd be willing to buy a farm and then bet it that even PS5 and XBX will not be forced to use the more advanced graphics. They'll simply be an option or several options that can be toggled at will, or a single package that can be downloaded as DLC or not.

Caveat: the various marketplaces (Sony, Microsoft, Steam, etc.) may create issues with this. Sometimes they have these weird rules about what data must be installed for purposes of licensing and copyright on a per-product basis -- not a per-title basis. But that's not anything CDPR can control. That's just very real matters of legality that turn into asininely silly and problematic requirements for paying customers.

So, for example, on Xbox, if I buy TW3 as a standalone game, then I go and purchase Hearts of Stone separately, then purchase Blood and Wine after that, I can choose to install one, two, or all three. If, however, I buy the GOTY Edition, I must install everything, as it's marketed as a single product. Because of licensing and support concerns due to the marketplace, players are not allowed to own the GOTY Edition and choose not to install B&W. You must install it. If you want to install only the base game and HOS, you must purchase the base game seperately and buy HOS for the base game. There, now you don't have to install B&W. Even though, logically, it's all the same thing, legally, they are 4 separate products.

^ Another big reason to make things that can greatly affect performance either options or completely separate packages.

Last edited:
No -- I get your question.

What I mean is: when CDPR released the game, it came with Minimum Requirements. Those cannot now be changed. Nor can the Recommended Requirements for the original version of the game.

What I can do, however, is release optional updates and enhancements that increase the Minimum/Recommended Requirements. These might be in the form of a "remaster" of the game...or they may be in the form of a "high-res texture pack"...or they may be in the form of optional graphical enhancement DLC...or they may be in the form of new graphical options to toggle on/off in the options menu.

But I cannot overwrite the old version of the game in such a way that people that originally bought it, according to the Minimum Requirements at the time of the game's original release, are now no longer able to run it. If I marketed that game, I must continue to support it as is. (Or I can't sell it. If I try to change the requirements after people have bought it, that would definitely be a bait-and-switch. That would be fraud.)

So, that leaves CDPR with only the ability to provide players with options.

Pretty easy to manage on PC. Maybe trickier to manage on consoles, but the core responsibilities of any studio to honor the purchases made by their customers still holds true. CP2077 on XB1 and PS4 cannot run the Next-Gen Update. People with minimum specs on PC cannot run the Next-Gen Update. They still need the game supported in that state.

Hence, there will always be a supported version of the non-Next-Gen version of the game. The vanilla version. If it's available for some...why restrict it for others? That would be needlessly complicating the situation.

Therefore, I'd be willing to buy a farm and then bet it that even PS5 and XBX will not be forced to use the more advanced graphics. They'll simply be an option or several options that can be toggled at will, or a single package that can be downloaded as DLC or not.

Caveat: the various marketplaces (Sony, Microsoft, Steam, etc.) may create issues with this. Sometimes they have these weird rules about what data must be installed for purposes of licensing and copyright on a per-product basis -- not a per-title basis. But that's not anything CDPR can control. That's just very real matters of legality that turn into asininely silly and problematic requirements for paying customers.

So, for example, on Xbox, if I buy TW3 as a standalone game, then I go and purchase Hearts of Stone separately, then purchase Blood and Wine after that, I can choose to install one, two, or all three. If, however, I buy the GOTY Edition, I must install everything, as it's marketed as a single product. Because of licensing and support concerns due to the marketplace, players are not allowed to own the GOTY Edition and choose not to install B&W. You must install it. If you want to install only the base game and HOS, you must purchase the base game seperately and buy HOS for the base game. There, now you don't have to install B&W. Even though, logically, it's all the same thing, legally, they are 4 separate products.

^ Another big reason to make things that can greatly affect performance either options or completely separate packages.
Ah, got ya. Had a brain fart.

Thanks, I have updated the main post again.

What I recently also thought is that a 1.4 patch was planned but got scrapped and integrated into 1.5. The reason for this is not CDPR skipping a number - I assume the next-gen upgrade would always have been 1.5 - but rather the Steam QA repository update on 29.10.2021. Either this included a crucial functionality that needed early and/or extensive testing, or the team was preparing for 1.4 and it was later decided to integrate this update into 1.5.

This could a reaction to players already coming back to the game and a more positive overall perception of it. Furthermore, CDPR might have thought that yet another patch that fixes things would not get a well enough reception by the verbose playerbase. Thus, pre-1.5 patch was scrapped.

They might also wait with 1.5 until next-gen is ready (which is other thing) so its really hard to tell when...

They might also wait with 1.5 until next-gen is ready (which is other thing) so its really hard to tell when...
I think both are related to each other, there might even be engine updates all versions (consoles, PC) get and if it is downloaded/enabled for current-gen then it will enable raytracing. So, I doubt this will cause any problems since I assume the distinction between 1.5 and the next-gen upgrade is an artificial one.

Would be nice if my optical camo wouldn't randomly become blood pump an upgrade i don't have equipped or even own would be fixed in the next patch but pretty sure it won't be

I think both are related to each other, there might even be engine updates all versions (consoles, PC) get and if it is downloaded/enabled for current-gen then it will enable raytracing. So, I doubt this will cause any problems since I assume the distinction between 1.5 and the next-gen upgrade is an artificial one.
No, they are separate teams. The team working on the Next-Gen stuff is not the same people that are focused on bug-fixing and gameplay stuff. There are things here and there that one team might do that affects the other, but work being done on graphics has nothing directly to do with quests, mission design, bugs and glitches, new features, DLC content, etc.

Think of it this way: if I'm building a house, the painters and landscapers have nothing to do with the electricians and the plumbers. None of them have anything to do with the carpenters and designers. And they are totally different than the realtors and inspectors. Yes, all of it is required to get a functional house that looks nice, and yes, each group needs to work with and around each other. But their jobs have nothing to do with one another.

Would be nice if my optical camo wouldn't randomly become blood pump an upgrade i don't have equipped or even own would be fixed in the next patch but pretty sure it won't be
It's because "grenades" that you put in your stash if I remember and only after completing "Rebel! Rebel!" (Kerry), when "grenades" are automatically equiped in place of cameo cyberware for blow up the van.
Anyway you can report it to increase chances to see it fixed ;)

Don't have grenades in my stash

Don't pick up grenades
You complete Rebel! Rebel! with Kerry ?
On my side, (few playthroughs), it's always happen to me after this quests (due to the fact that the game automatically put grenades in the slot and replace cameo cyberware).

Did that mission a long time ago before optical camo became available

Since then i haven't used grenades. Don't see a point in them.

Did that mission a long time ago before optical camo became available

Since then i haven't used grenades. Don't see a point in them.
Just a guess, in all my 1.3+ playthroughs (a few ones), it always happen after this quest (when cameo cyberware is switched to basic grenades by the game). It also happen even if I unbale to install the blood pump due to my low body level.
Anyway, you can report it to the support with a save if possible ;)

1643482717759.png

Guys, this is it!!! :D
(no, it's not. I just can't cope with those youtube click-baits anymore)
(I mean, I didn't even watch the video, I know it's a fake)
(that's why I didn't post the link, just a screenshot)

OK, serious talk, guys. We have our differences but I'd like to propose a topic in which we would post the most ludicrous and obvious Cyberpunk related click-baits. Just like the one above. I think it might be a fun little hunt for weeks to come. Only fresh videos that appear within a couple days count. Don't post anything older than a week. Mine would lose the competition but you get the idea. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom