Next patch rampant speculations

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Perhaps the most dramatic difference between the older Witcher 2 on PC and the Enhanced Edition on 360 is that lighting has been radically overhauled, looking much more natural on the console. PC owners don't lose out though - all the work carried out on the console version is being rolled back into the original game."

Last edited:
"Perhaps the most dramatic difference between the older Witcher 2 on PC and the Enhanced Edition on 360 is that lighting has been radically overhauled, looking much more natural on the console. PC owners don't lose out though - all the work carried out on the console version is being rolled back into the original game."
That's actually pretty cool, I didn't know that.

Just a thought,
Could it simply be the cover of the Cyberpunk next-gen test version on Playstation (only available for Devs) and not a brand new cover... ?
(like on steam and maybe all the platforms).
Because from my experience, on xbox at least, "optimized" games for next gen are the same game (ID&Cover) for "old" and "next" gen. There is only the little Series S/X icon on it (on old gen, the cover also have that "Serie S/X" mention).

Just a thought,
Could it simply be the cover of the Cyberpunk next-gen test version on Playstation (only available for Devs) and not a brand new cover... ?
(like on steam and maybe all the platforms).
Because from my experience, on xbox at least, "optimized" games for next gen are the same game (ID&Cover) for "old" and "next" gen. There is only the little Series S/X icon on it (on old gen, the cover also have that "Serie S/X" mention).

I hope that its the next cover. Dont make sense its the same if its a serious update.

I hope that its the next cover. Dont make sense its the same if its a serious update.
Honeslty, I really doubt that next gen version will receive any new cover... It's an "update", no a new game :)
My guess that the cover will simply receive a "next-gen" mention on it like every games optimized that I see until now. But obviously, I could be wrong, and it could be the very first game to receive a dedicated "Next-Gen" cover.

Last edited:
Honeslty, I really doubt that next gen version will receive any new cover... It's an "update", no a new game :)
(my guess that the cover will simply receive a "next-gen" mention on it like every games optimized that I see until now)
There are two options:

Option 1: the Update and the Patch are actually worth something and they will advertise the shit out of them, so people would know that the patch and the update are out.

Option 2: the Update and the Patch turns out to be "too little, too late" and advertising anything would only bring CDPR more ridicule from both the press and gamers. CDPR will act as if no advertisement and low-profile of the Patch/Update was intentional.

Ah ok I understand now. Honestly a new cover for the next gen edition hardly comes off as extravagant or a sign of overhyping in my view. Just a treat for the people that have been waiting long for it if anything.

If the cover is real maybe it says like "CDPR got Vs back"? Like "i got your back"?
I am still interested in this game so I hope they will make it.

I am well aware of that but I phrased myself a bit ambiguous earlier. I was referring to engine optimizations and improvements that might be needed for the next-gen Upgrade. For example, if they game cannot handle anything above 4k textures but a UHD texture pack has 8k textures the engine must be updated to handle those textures. I assume there won't be a 4k version of the engine and an 8k version, but rather one 8k version where according to the specification the 4k or 8k textures will be used respectively.

Thus, the UHD texture pack can be downloaded and activated by gamers, but it is also only the tip of the iceberg. I think the same relation is between 1.5 and the next-gen upgrade.
I may be wrong, but I think you may be overblowing the Next-Gen Update by quite a bit. I don't think we're going anywhere near 8K anything. 4K textures might be possible, but I really don't think anything can be done with this update to get close to 8K. Definitely not on consoles. (If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.)

I think the optimizations are going to be rather subtle. For example, ray-tracing added to TW3 is not going to revolutionize the graphics, just add ray-tracing. So the lighting will be a little nicer and more natural, at the cost of performance. For CP2077 on XBX and PS5, I'd expect to see perhaps more accurate lighting, thicker crowds, draw distance being pushed out a bit further, maybe some added LOD stuff. It's not going to transform how the game looks...just get it looking nicer and still running smoothly. I don't expect that people with high-end PCs will notice any huge difference visually, but it's likely that fidelity and performance will be more smooth, with a few new bells and whistles.

Primarily -- remembering that I'm speculating -- I think it will mostly add to the complexity that is possible with any, particular, on-screen scene. Variations in characters, the way 3D objects or particles can interact with one another, the way light can be used to create certain gameplay challenges, etc. I think we're likely to see the changes really shine with upcoming content, not existing content.

And, yes, doing even that much is a monstrous undertaking with outrageous levels of complexity requiring massive amounts of work between cooperating teams over many years. This stuff is neither simple nor easy, and CDPR is not a "gigantic" company, comparable to the thousands of employees and resources that corporations like EA, Activision, or Ubisoft can bring to bear. CDPR is doing this with a relative handful of people, but the scale of both TW3 and CP2077 is far bigger than most anything that the big corps produce. The core complexity of gaming has increased exponentially over the last 10 years. Things have grown faster, bigger, and more complex in that short time that the entirety of the 50 or so years preceding it combined.

But I do not think the Next-Gen Update is going to be a remaster that totally redefines the games. I think it's just going to smooth out some of the burrs and open up new levels of detail for the future.

What is going on with this marketing department? Just when you think they've learned to not hype the fuck out of every thing they do; It's just an update for heaven's sake.
This is not an official announcement. It's a 3rd-party source reporting on unofficial speculation. It's also not even "hype". It's simply identifying that a step to release the update may have been taken. How...else...would they eventually release the update?

Last edited:
CDPR wants to release a big update. They purposefully called it "Patch 1.5" for greater psychological effect. They purposefully withdrawn release of any patches since September 2021 so this upcoming one could grow bigger. This is not me making this up. It's on them. It's not "haters" and "greedy media" idea. It's CDPR making a big deal out of their Patch 1.5.

Yes, other companies are bigger. They also work on multiple projects simultaneously. Who's fault is it that CDPR works with only "a handful of people"? Also what happened to the argument that "CDPR grew too big"? Now they are too small?

Growing complexity of games. I mean... they've been doing it from... the beginning of gaming? It must have been an overwhelming complexity indeed if they forgot how to implement a walking button for people playing on keyboards, and "turn off camera auto-center" option for vehicles. CDPR was like "oh no, the complexity!" :D

Everybody will talk about Patch 1.5/ Next-Gen Update. Not because they are "haters" but because they want good games. The media and the gamers. People like Digital Foundry will take the game apart to see what actually got improved. If it's good, then the game will get a boost of free advertisement. If it's nothing-burger, it will further undermine good name of CDPR.

But there is always something to wait for, right? The Witcher 3 Next-Gen! Made by contractors. And it's not even their main project. And the quality assurance is CDPR themselves... And it's the same game but with Ray-Tracing slapped on top of it? And we should not expect it to be any good? Hm...

I expect W3 next gen too be witcher 3 + RT and HDR (hopefully real HDR not this shit they generaly do nowdays -.-) Think ill enjoy that more then cp2077 "next gen" tbh.

I've grown more confident in the next update. I still think they should reserve anything resembling hype until players respond with considerable positivity - this is simply a practical decision. Seriously, speak only as much as necessary.

i just hope for game+ and that they repair all bugs around skills and perks,all other stuff like transmogs (what is huge alone) etc. i gonna take like bonus.90% of u gonna say i have low expectations,yes i have and i agree with SigilFey that people forgot that how many people work on this + after that disappointment at launch i dont expect from them nothing huge,ever.CP2077 whas my first preorder ever and i play videogames 30y so yes i learn my lesson,hard way :D

Last edited:

DC9V

Forum veteran
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt next-gen update is coming to PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S, and PC this year! Here’s a sneak peek of our updated cover art.
Spoiler alert: we also prepared some free DLCs inspired by The Witcher Netflix Series.
More info coming soon!
A lot of people seem to believe that the PC version of Cyberpunk 2077 already is and always has been the next gen version... I'd like to point out that the next gen patch for TW3 has been announced for PC as well. In my eyes there's absolutely no reason why Cyberpunk 2077 patch 1.5 wouldn't provide the same benefits for PC, as the next gen patch for consoles, even if PC-owners won't be seeing a dedicated next gen patch. I'm thinking of stuff like an increased amount of available engine threads for all kinds of stuff like texture streaming and audio, auto-detecting vram (in order to grey-out options that are not suitable for GPUs that don't have enough of vram), an option to eliminate simplified draw models entirely, reduced pop-in of shadows and lights, an increased quality of ray tracing effects (more psycho details, or even bringing back the cinema mode?), better functioning crowd and traffic, etc...

Last edited:
There are two options:

Option 1: the Update and the Patch are actually worth something and they will advertise the shit out of them, so people would know that the patch and the update are out.

Option 2: the Update and the Patch turns out to be "too little, too late" and advertising anything would only bring CDPR more ridicule from both the press and gamers. CDPR will act as if no advertisement and low-profile of the Patch/Update was intentional.
There is actually an option 3.

That the new cover art will be used to release a "new" game/expansion.
Maybe will be the next-gen patch, but you'll have to pay it.

Seeing CDPR greed, this will make actually sense.
New art, new expansion, new price :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom