NG+ item lvl scale is screwed. Items/crafts with over lvl 100 requirement?

+
I'm not the level 100 cap but I can confirm what others are saying about players who began NG+ from level 49 to 53 hitting this issue. We started NG+ at level 35...Playing on the Xbox one without cheats/mods...We just finished Blood and Wine on Level 85.

And we still have a few outstanding Quests:

-Collecting All Skellige Cards
-Skellige Card Tournament
-Not All Eagles Dare
-Collecting All Gwent Cards (missing Olivier 4 sold cards).

So if we were to do those outstanding Quests, that would push us to what...86...87? From a starting line of level 35 in NG+. 53 or so levels in NG alone...If we to start our NG+ in the late 40s or 50-53, we would have hit the same cap issue that's plaguing a lot of gamers.

What exactly is the big problem here?. Reports from the very few players to hit level 100 are saying that when the items with a level over 100 are crafted they become usable lv99 items.

I don't see a handful of quests that are over level 100 being a problem, by the time you are supposed to be tackling them you are expected to be near to 100 yourself. Unless the enemies are out levelling you by twenty levels I can't see a problem in some difficult late game NG+ content.

What exactly is the big problem here?. Reports from the very few players to hit level 100 are saying that when the items with a level over 100 are crafted they become usable lv99 items.

I don't see a handful of quests that are over level 100 being a problem, by the time you are supposed to be tackling them you are expected to be near to 100 yourself. Unless the enemies are out levelling you by twenty levels I can't see a problem in some difficult late game NG+ content.

So you have done this and if so at what difficulty and was it with enemy upscaling?

If you finished the main game on your original playthrough at around level 35, and play "as designed", then a long, long time later you'll hit Blood and Wine on NG+ at around Level 92. Blood and Wine is supposed to give out around 15 levels, you'll only get 8, so the endgame enemies will be 7 higher than designed. The only reason this is "very few players" is because there won't have been that many (yet) who have gone into NG+ after completing both expansions in the base playthrough - this affects everyone who does. (Or maybe not, see below.)

And I think there's a lot of players who hit level 50 or more in that initial main game playthrough using "legitimate" grinding methods - no exploits, no mods. So yes, they'd be facing enemies 20 higher than designed during Blood and Wine NG+.

(And although I'm not overlevelled, I've already had enough issues with late-game wolves and kikimores to agree with BMW37007. The random mob-monsters are the biggest problem. A wild dog can kill you with one lunge if your Quen goes down. My approach has been to kick Roach into a gallop and get the hell out of there, but that shouldn't be the way to play the game. But with no XP, why stay and fight them?)

UPDATE: IT'S NOT THAT BAD

The Level Cap seems to be affecting not just Geralt, but the main quest as well, I still haven't finished, but this is what I have so far for recommended levels:
87 - Envoys, Wineboys
88 - The Beast of Toussaint
89 - Blood Run
92 - La Cage Au Fou <I did most of the sidequests and hit Level 100 during this
95 - Where Children Toil <I finished the sidequests during this
95 - Wine is Sacred
96 - The Man from Cintra
100 - Capture the Castle. Roderick level 100, others 99-100. Easier than it was the last time.
100 - Night of the Long Fangs. All Level 100, nothing very challenging.
100 - Beyond Hill and Dale. All Level 100. Pixies were the worst, bossfights were easy.
102 - Tesham Mutna. Detlaff doesn't show, but his pulsating bits in the final segment were Level 102. Fight was similar difficulty to the last time.
102 - Pomp and Strange Circumstance.

If so, then the game is definitely playable if you're on the standard levels or only a little bit overlevelled. The problems and errors were on random encounters. The Main Quest seems to balance correctly.

Of course, if you're a LOT overlevelled, then those random encounters become much more of an issue. And I can't tell if sidequests handle it OK or not, as I wasn't overlevelled enough to trigger it (I wouldn't consider 102 for Tufo unreasonable).

I'd still consider it a bug though, that you can top-out without overlevelling. It wasn't much fun doing all those sidequests for zero XP.

Last edited:
Another thing worth checking are the enemy sign resistances at high levels. For example, just compare how much Aard power is required to knock down a Drowner at level 100 compared to level 50. Remember that Sign Intensity doesn't increase every level like your sword damage does.

The problem is the level bonus these enemies get for Sign Resistances. Perhaps these Sign resistances need to stop increasing after level 50, or some other way to keep it balanced.

Another thing worth checking are the enemy sign resistances at high levels. For example, just compare how much Aard power is required to knock down a Drowner at level 100 compared to level 50. Remember that Sign Intensity doesn't increase every level like your sword damage does.

The problem is the level bonus these enemies get for Sign Resistances. Perhaps these Sign resistances need to stop increasing after level 50, or some other way to keep it balanced.

I suspect this is part of the reason why the random mob-monsters like wolves are a problem.

Anyway, Detlaff was Level 102. I had to drop down a difficulty level to kill him, but that's about me, not the game. :) Overall, I'd say he was easier than last time, but I may just be getting better at it.

Was actually reading a post in another forum, and a user mentioned that Aard Stagger is hardcapped in the game at 295%.

I can't check/confirm this right now, but if this hard cap info is true, then it is IMPOSSIBLE to knock down level 100 enemies. Your Sign Intensity doesn't even matter.
This is quite an oversight and definitely needs to be addressed.

Ignore the above. There is no hard cap. However, it would be interesting to test if level 100 enemies can be knocked down or not.

To be fair though, the developers designed this game for NG. Everything works fine for NG, i.e., the first 50 odd levels of the game. NG+ was something they added coz the fans asked for it, and honestly, the devs likely didn't have enough time to think everything through. That's why they've used simple quick methods like +30 levels to everything in NG+, etc.

Last edited:
I can not send my departure but good if and someone with my same problem sent as well . Dragonbird when you finish the story you just have to explore the world, and as you do if every time you meet a wolf or any other kills you at once ? I the only solution I can find is to apply the options adjustment to level the enemies at the same level , and there is a variant that is to increase the level but this would be to block all levels of the game , I play without it activated and the difficulty to a minimum , and Velen wolves kill me , I hope CDprojectRed find a solution to continue enjoying the game . regards,

Hello,
Last week I reported this new game plus problem without even knowing it was this common. I play on ps4 amd I started new game plus at level 52 after finishing the main game, HoS and B&W. Same as most of the people in this thread, I've encountered many leveling issues like enemies being way over my level in the expansion and stuff like the ones mentioned here.
However, it has been 6 days since I reported it and I have not received a response from CDPR (and yes, I entered my email correctly). Can someone update me on what is going to happen with this?

They've now acknowledged that there are issues and are working on it.

If you started on Level 52, the game should be completely playable. Assuming you play Main Game, then HoS, then B&W, you will hit the level cap of 100 about half way through B&W. Sidequests and the main quests shouldn't be difficult - the level cap also seems to apply to the main quests. Random mobs of monsters such as wolves are a problem, my personal recommendation is to avoid them. The unavoidable ones CAN be killed if you have a decent build and make full use of the abilities, mutations and decoctions/potions that you carried forward into NG+.

I am level 32 after the end of vanilla now, but I have about a dozen quests marked as "failed" ( = no XP for them), about 90% of the witcher contracts were not done, and about 15 secondary quests remain. I did not visit all the ??s, I ignored a bunch of monster nests and abandoned sites in my rush. I also did the vanilla Act I mainquests in an XP unfriendly order (started Velen, started Novigrad, went to Skellige, finished Skellige, finished Velen, finished Novigrad = barely XP for end mainquests of Velen and Novigrad.) I did randomly chose between Axii in dialogue or no Axii in dialogue. I told several secondary quest NPCs that I didn't have the time or motivation to help them. There was a LOT of XP wasted on purpose.

Level 32 for this kind of anti-completionist effort seems extremely high.

HoS and B&W are untouched as of yet.

That means, if I do HoS now, I will again be level ~35-37 when going for Touissant (or more? My last time through HoS has been a while). And that means again that the end level will be very close to the risky range, should I chose to do a complete B&W. Even more so, should I decide to save the abandoned sites and monster nests until the very end.

Or of course, I stick to mostly the mainquest of HoS and B&W. That ought to give me a save for NG+ which might be closer to reasonable.

But that is absolutely not normal gaming behaviour for me.

Last edited:
^ I'm not willing to give up my completionist playstyle, so to avoid ending up overleveled for NG+ I installed a mod that changes the leveling curve. Significantly more exp is now needed to level up, and since I only get 80 % quest exp (because DM) I should be fine.

Of course, by the time I finish the main game and both DLCs this issue may very well have been fixed. :p

So far I couldnt experience any item with reqs higher lvl100 - There is a display bug that shows the level reqs in crafting menu higher as they actually are - but no item has reqs above max level 100 after being crafted so far.

Example :

As you can see the items real reqs are level 98 not 107

Here is my thread http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/108341-BUG-1-22-NG-crafting-level-reqs

Hey all, please read the explanation here, as I believe these two issues are very closely related, and will affect all platforms.

The short answer is that because of changes made over time, there was a compounding issue from the 1.0x days that gave rise to the bug. (It just wasn't "visible" until much later.) The only surefire way to avoid this is to start a new game at Level 0 -- you will then not encounter this bug.

The fix is seemingly going to be very difficult, as it could wind up breaking more than it fixes.

the problem of the diagrams already knew that when you create if you could use, what bothers is that wolves , Nekker or any random enemy kill you at once, that's what you should fix.

---------- Updated at 05:16 PM ----------

I must add that being 100 level signals and bombs are useless , at levels bajor pumps are very good but do not rise as level with swords or armor , that should be corrected , throw a bomb at any enemy you removes neither life nor the effects that each pump. and the same signals . Greetings.

Guest 3893816

@SigilFey

So if i now start the game from level 0, i should be save right? But what if a next patch changes the leveling system one more time? I really don't want to restart from level 0 because i hate this grinding to get all potions, oils, bombs, armors and weapons.

Could you tell me if i will be save for the future when i start at level 0 with patch 1.22 now, or are new leveling systems planned to fix those problems? I want to restart the game but i don't want to make the wrong decission.

Top Bottom