NG+ item lvl scale is screwed. Items/crafts with over lvl 100 requirement?

+
What I can say now, is: I decided to keep my save as already commented, and begin a NG+ at level 69. Now I finished the quests from Velen and I'm searching for Dandelion at Novigrad (my level is 83, right now). And I already has find monsters and quests 10/15 levels above mine (a leshen, a elemental, a wyvern and some alghouls on a village) and, while it is difficult, it is still possible to beat them.

And I'm still using my Grandmaster armor from NG.

I know it is not the best answer but, if anyone are willing to try, the game can still be beaten with this problem. Just recomend to everyone who try, patience before attack and focus on the footwork. It can even be really fun with the danger.hehe

p.s. Sorry for the bad quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brSIOPrGDeY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg0cx7e_aOk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7C32QEBYJk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah08kn3b_Bg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65BILzTUB14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwgacqDJxNk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9OEX_g2_r4

Last edited:
@SigilFey

So if i now start the game from level 0, i should be save right? But what if a next patch changes the leveling system one more time? I really don't want to restart from level 0 because i hate this grinding to get all potions, oils, bombs, armors and weapons.

Could you tell me if i will be save for the future when i start at level 0 with patch 1.22 now, or are new leveling systems planned to fix those problems? I want to restart the game but i don't want to make the wrong decission.

Well, I can't make any promises with either decision. According to what the devs know of the bug, it will only affect people that began games from older versions. The older the version was when you started the game, the more severe the issue would be if it appeared. Beginning a new game will definitely prevent that bug.

Is your issue the same bug? Who knows? It could be something different. Wish I could guarantee anything, but then it just wouldn't be real life.
:horse:

If you're up to starting over, just back up your saves and begin anew. You can always go back to your old game at any point. From what I've read on this thread, it certainly sounds as if it's the leveling bug.

Last edited:
@Yesin069 - There seem to be two separate issues here.

Issue #1 - the fact that the game now decides the start level for NG+ based on your end level for the base game. This means that anyone who has played both expansions in the base game is going to hit the level cap on NG+ well before finishing.

It affects ALL players, regardless of whether you started before or after 1.22. If you didn't overlevel in the first playthrough, and therefore start NG+ at around Level 53, the game is playable but the lack of levelling up may affect your enjoyment of NG+. If you DID overlevel in the first playthrough and start NG+ much higher than Level 53, then it may be unbalanced enough to be unplayable. Other than the balancing issues, there are bugs in the crafting screens, but these have minor impact - equipment still crafts at wearable levels.

Issue #2 is a group of problems that people have found during relating to sudden changes in levels, where either Geralt or his equipment's level requirements suddenly change for no reason. This appears to be because of some adjustments that the game is making (badly) to "correct" for stuff, and seems to affect only those who started NG+ before 1.22.

I can't say what would be best for other players, it depends how much value you place on your existing savegames. Personally, I would throw away any NG+ playthrough started before 1.22, and start NG+ again. If the only starting point I had was an overlevelled game, I'd go right back to Level 0 and re-do the main game/expansions.

If those are too drastic to consider, then I'd just wait and see how they resolve this.

Guest 3893816

@SigilFey @Dragonbird

Thank you both for the reply. Of course i made a backup of my older saves, but now i just want to minimize the potential for bugs and i have a lot of freetime now so i want to play some W3. Who knows when a new patch will arrive.

My older savegame is a level 53 save with everything completed and everything crafted but i have a lot of bugs in this save. So i hope that those bugs will disappear when i restart the game from scratch. My old savegame is from the days when W3 was released (v1.02), and they changed so many systems since then. It is really a hard decission because i really don't want to collect everything again.

I will not start from 0 again just because you do not want to fix this error , the levels should be stable as it was before the update, did not care to start at 40 and 70 , was always leveled missions , now if you start to 70 the beginning is that , that is very bad . and that it is not difficult ... you kill a wolf and 1 hit any enemy , as already imagine the boss , play with all the minimum and is unplayable , put an option to level with the player like the one put raise the level , so simple , or poned adjustments had the game before blood and wine when levels were predetermined.

@SigilFey @Dragonbird

Thank you both for the reply. Of course i made a backup of my older saves, but now i just want to minimize the potential for bugs and i have a lot of freetime now so i want to play some W3. Who knows when a new patch will arrive.

My older savegame is a level 53 save with everything completed and everything crafted but i have a lot of bugs in this save. So i hope that those bugs will disappear when i restart the game from scratch. My old savegame is from the days when W3 was released (v1.02), and they changed so many systems since then. It is really a hard decission because i really don't want to collect everything again.

No problem. The game should be mostly bug-free. I won't lie and say that there are no game-stoppers out there, but they're rare and pretty random. Hitting one means lost time and a chunk of replay, but you'll finish. I've finished 3 times and never encountered something I couldn't get by. Playing "by the rules", so to speak, seems to help (no power-leveling or using exploits.) Stay away from console commands and go light on the mods and you should be fine. If you do encounter issue #2, there are now two potential workarounds -- just read back through the thread -- and both seem pretty reliable.

Most bugs that exist now are annoyances, not really destructoids. (Roach's mane disappearing is the single worst thing I'm dealing with on my current playthrough.)

I will not start from 0 again just because you do not want to fix this error , the levels should be stable as it was before the update, did not care to start at 40 and 70 , was always leveled missions , now if you start to 70 the beginning is that , that is very bad . and that it is not difficult ... you kill a wolf and 1 hit any enemy , as already imagine the boss , play with all the minimum and is unplayable , put an option to level with the player like the one put raise the level , so simple , or poned adjustments had the game before blood and wine when levels were predetermined.

No one ever said that the devs do not want to fix the error. They went to some length to confirm that they were still looking into it. The situation is such that it may simply be impossible to fix without breaking other parts of the game. It's just the reality that, right now, the only sure-fire way to avoid the leveling bug is to restart at Level 0.

The scaling issue that @Dragonbird mentions (beginning NG+ at too high a level) does not appear to be connected. I would be willing to bet heavily on that being addressed long before the level-jumping bug is fixed.

Last edited:

I'd have absolutely no qualms about starting a new NG+ using an old Level 53 save as the starting point. The only issue you're likely to hit with that is hitting the Level Cap during B&W NG+, and that's a mild annoyance rather than a game-breaker. Whatever happened in the initial playthrough, bugs encountered there, shouldn't affect the NG+ game - all it cares about from the starting savegame is your level, inventory and build, so as long as they're not likely to be "'corrupted" in any way from the use of mods, you should be good to go.

EDhavoc;n7099050 said:
Moderators, Devs, anyone, was this issue ever resolved with a official patch, the one referring to items requirements went past level 100, as well as enemies going 49 levels above geralt's cap

ex(not my video/content):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3XKdCfC4p0

The bug is (as far as I've seen) only 100% fixable by beginning a new Standard Game (at level 0) under 1.31. The nature of the bug is such that it is caused by beginning a character, achieving a certain amount of experience, then updating the game to a new version. By repeating that process a number of times, the calculations get wonked. There are only workarounds for it once it has occurred. I don't know the details, but the main issue with a full, retroactive "fix" is that it could cause serious issues in other places...and even then it might not completely fix it.

Haven't really met the bug before. I was at level 70 cap and took a 7 months break before returning and continuing that run, with fresh released BAW installed. Finished it at level 100 and, IIRC, had a few over the cap crafting items but it didn't matter. A fresh NG with 1.31 followed and I finish it at level 74. Started NG+ and everything scaled to 74 and above. Quests, items, crafting. Really cool, IMHO. They are all capped at 100 too and since I'm going to reach it soon, it is all fine. I enjoy playing for no XP reward as long as I reached the cap and at level 89 now, game plays exactly like in level 14 NG. (74 from NG+ start plus 14, doing stuff that I would at 14 too).

PS.: I use a Full XP Any Quest mod and that is how I finished NG at level 74. I've hated to play saving quests for later because of XP issues, like Monsters Nests or Abandoned Villages. Hated even more to have a level 13 quest following a level 16 in MQ which would give no XP, same as lots of others because of all side quests I love to complete. So, after a few runs controlling the bad level design of quests, I started using the mod and I love it. I can play freely and I'll always get my XP rewards, as far as I'm bellow the cap. After 500 hours and up to now with 1980 hours played, it has always been fun!

Sounds like everything is working as intended, then. With a new game started in 1.31, nothing should ever be above Level 100.

RageGT;n7126250 said:
1980 hours played

:scared:...

:cheers3:

SigilFey;n7148040 said:
Sounds like everything is working as intended, then. With a new game started in 1.31, nothing should ever be above Level 100.

Make it 2012 hrs now... Will probably switch to GOTY Edition at the end of this NG run, followed by a full TW marathon, and start it all over again. =)

Just to confirm that it seems that "skull" enemies are still in the game and cap for them seems to be 105. At least for now, at level 92. Items and all rest are capped at 100.

:victory:

SigilFey;n7148040 said:

negats for me started my game at 1.31 started NG+ level 53 and I have the same problems described in the thread

Even though this was bumped today after not being touched in five months, it's opportune as I finished by first play through tonight. I've spent hours searching online since then and cannot find a definitive answer anywhere, but plenty of horror stories.

Using the mod that ensures I always get full exp from completed quests (and plenty of grinding) I managed to hit level 100 by the time I finished Blood & Wine which is strange because I thought the level cap was supposed to be 70 in a standard game? Anyway, I hit 100 and now I'm worried. Have they fixed the issue when enemies and items scaling so high that the game becomes unplayable for NG+ at my level? Am I going to have to try to use a save editor to lower my level? Or will I be able to start NG+ as is and enjoy it? I made the mistake of assuming that everything just scaled up and extra 20-30 levels in NG+ irregardless of what you start it as.

Suppose someone hit the original level cap of 70 before starting NG+, how are / were they expected to be able to do this?

ahmed_99;n8470330 said:
We just want to play ng + twice and not once All problems will be solved

This will almost certainly not be happening. The original NG+ was very difficult to get working even as well as it is. It's simply not what the game was designed to do.

Jagick;n8471200 said:
Using the mod that ensures I always get full exp from completed quests (and plenty of grinding) I managed to hit level 100 by the time I finished Blood & Wine which is strange because I thought the level cap was supposed to be 70 in a standard game? Anyway, I hit 100 and now I'm worried. Have they fixed the issue when enemies and items scaling so high that the game becomes unplayable for NG+ at my level? Am I going to have to try to use a save editor to lower my level? Or will I be able to start NG+ as is and enjoy it? I made the mistake of assuming that everything just scaled up and extra 20-30 levels in NG+ irregardless of what you start it as.

Whoa, there!

Welcome to the Forums! (Offers a cup of hot chocolate.)

If you've already hit 100, especially if you've used mods to get to that level, there's a high probability that your NG+ experience will be...highly interesting. Simply put, NG+ pushes the game and engine to certain limits. There are balance issues with NG+ scaling even without mods at very high levels, so I would really NOT recommend you play with that character if you want a smooth experience. Plus, if you're already Level 100...there's really nothing left to work for. I think you'll be happier if you play through without that mod and simply begin NG+ at ~Level 50.

Top Bottom