Jobs Support Register

NG+ or a fresh save on DM?

+

Snake_Foxhounder

Junior Member
#1
NG+ or a fresh save on DM?

How does it even work and what gets carried over? What do you think is better? I'd like to keep all the great looking armor and weapons but a fresh save would really test you, as you can't rely on previously acquired equipment and skills (if they are carried over).

 

devivre

Moderator
#2
Snake_Foxhounder;n9642291 said:
How does it even work and what gets carried over? What do you think is better? I'd like to keep all the great looking armor and weapons but a fresh save would really test you, as you can't rely on previously acquired equipment and skills (if they are carried over).
I've completed the game in NG+ a while ago. While I didn't regret doing so, it seems more challenging to me if you start fresh. NG+ resulted in having easy access to lots of money (because you get a lot of money for even pretty bad weapons...), which obviously makes life a lot easier - but I'm not sure it's really the best if you want to feel like a true Witcher :D.

And balancing is sometimes a bit weird in NG+ (probably due to enemy level scaling). Then again, compared to the normal game it takes longer until you feel overpowered. But if you do NG+, choose one of the two highest difficulty levels.
 

ooodrin

Booster
#3
Armors, weapons, potions, oils, bombs, recipes, diagrams, crafting material, food and drinks, etc... from your inventory and stash as well as skills and mutations are carried over to NG+.
Fresh start is a better choice for DM. With NG+ you'd have easier start, but you won't be able to enjoy the sight of your NG equipment for very long (it will become obsolete probably before you reach Novigrad).
 

SigilFey

Moderator
#4
DM is quite punishing (frustratingly difficult at lower levels) without being crazy. :) I really don't care for the whole NG+ concept. In fact, the only game I've ever "NG+'ed" is Salt and Sanctuary. Even Dark Souls I don't NG+... Once I finish the game with one character, I'm normally ready for something totally different.
 

Snake_Foxhounder

Junior Member
#5
Thanks for the replies, guys. The only reason I want to start NG+ is to have access to some good looking gear right from the very start. Using Grandmaster Wolf gear at the very start, for example.

Couple of other things, if you don't mind. Will I be able to reacquire master/grandmaster witcher gear, even if I already have it? It should be of higher level than my carryover gear.

I'm about level 60, if I remember. How will the gear/enemies scale to that?
 

Muffliato

Moderator
#6
Snake_Foxhounder;n9657431 said:
Couple of other things, if you don't mind. Will I be able to reacquire master/grandmaster witcher gear, even if I already have it? It should be of higher level than my carryover gear.

I'm about level 60, if I remember. How will the gear/enemies scale to that?
Gear: You'll be able to find diagrams for Legendary witcher gears, which are the exact same ones (and in the same locations) as the NG ones but with better stats. (You can't upgrade your existing gear though; you'll have to start from scratch.)

Level: Everything will have a fixed level just like in NG, but neither enemies nor gear will be over level 100.
Basically enemy and gear levels will be "NG level + Geralt's NG+ starting level"; if you start NG+ at level 60, a wolf that's level 4 in NG will be level 64.
 

slothman32

Poser
#8
If you haven't tried NG+ yet I would, on DM.
I did it but I sold/droped all my gear and fought guards and lost to lose my money.
 

SigilFey

Moderator
#9
Snake_Foxhounder;n9657431 said:
I'm about level 60, if I remember. How will the gear/enemies scale to that?
Just a note that the enemy scaling option is also available, but it tends to throw things a bit out of whack in places under NG+, especially at higher levels. (For example, the rats become mean. Very mean. Like...Dark-Souls-2-Piglets levels of mean.)


slothman32;n9659011 said:
I did it but I sold/droped all my gear and fought guards and lost to lose my money.
Wouldn't it have been easier to simply have bought a whole bunch of expensive stuff and then just dropped it in the world somewhere before starting NG+?

Oh...wait...you enjoyed doing that with the guards...didn't you? ;) :p


 
Last edited:

slothman32

Poser
#10
SigilFey;n9662251 said:
Wouldn't it have been easier to simply have bought a whole bunch of expensive stuff and then just dropped it in the world somewhere before starting NG+?

Oh...wait...you enjoyed doing that with the guards...didn't you? ;) :p
When you have 400,000 crowns buying even expensive things can take awhile.

 

stefan3372

Junior Member
#11
I really don't like NG+ like at all, it's just fake difficulty increase with stats boosts, not giving depth to the game kind of difficult. Therefore i recommend getting some mods and playing on DM
 

SigilFey

Moderator
#12
stefan3372;n9667651 said:
Therefore i recommend getting some mods...
This is also a nice suggestion. There are a handful of combat overhauls that have gotten very positive responses from a lot of players.
 

stefan3372

Junior Member
#13
SigilFey;n9669901 said:
This is also a nice suggestion. There are a handful of combat overhauls that have gotten very positive responses from a lot of players.
I personally recommend Witcher 3 Enhanced Edition, as it overhauls everything so much, it almost feels like a whole different game. And the combat is much more unforgiving and skill based