NG spy decks are stupidly good, NR is slowly getting the stick up the [bum]

+
Vaerynn;n9714481 said:
I am very disappointed and frustrated with the current state of Northern Realms. As a player sitting around 4200-4300 MMR who only plays Northern Realms I am struggling to get to 4500 MMR.

The lack of synergy & power is actually quite debilitating to look at whenever I try and build something that at least looks half-decent. Honestly, my deck right now is just tactical trickery, and every time I look at building another deck (mainly machines) to compete I realize it is not so feasible in the current meta (Machines and the required row-stacking, for instance, is just so easily punished - as it should be). And so it goes.

Also, now that you can target Golds, can we please have 'Promote' back (with some sort of crazy advantage power added onto it)? That would be nice. ;D
I think Promote is a fine idea, actually. Especially if you synergize it with other effects.

Let's take this example this scenario. We make Dijkstra a Silver and weaken him. The promote restores and adds to his value.
Dijkstra (Silver) (Disloyal) - Deploy: Play the top card of your deck.
If Djikstra is promoted, your opponent plays the top two cards of their deck. Dijkstra moves to the opposite row and is no longer spying.

This, of course, would combo with a promote card. It's basically the same card (but Silver) and you get a 4 power unit out of the combo.

Witchers could similarly be promoted to their gold version. That would certainly be more interesting than what they're doing now as Silvers.

I play NR and I get destroyed on a regular basis. Ever since the update this game sucks. Thank you and screw GWENT.

Last edited by a moderator:
I absolutely disagree NR is ridiculously overpowered. No faction can come close to their power level it's absolute insane. To play Poor Flanking Infantry to Reaver Scout to Poor Flanking Infantry. Plus add Foltset or the Seige engine and so every time Poor Flanking Infantry and the Siege support comes in they get boosted up to the ass. A man can only have so many locks in his deck. Plus then add the siege with the trebuchets. NG cannot come to that boost or that power. Sure spies are incredibly efficient, but I lose to NR all the time. All the time. Because they summon and boost more than my own base power of cards.

Most of the timesi forfeit if i see that i have to play against NG spy deck ... its makes no fun and it feels like my only chance to win is that he draws unbelievable bad.

That bitch cantarella is Op, i run eredin and got :mean:​​​​60%winrate against Ng, but i get destroyed by Skelige so i have to use caretaker which is useless against spies so crap...

This is how you know something is a problem, when someone says there is a problem and even in this den of contrarians most agree.. I would love for them to just delete NG from the game and start over but the next best thing would be to nerf that assassin.

I love all the complaints about NG one of, if not the most, balanced faction(s) in the game.

Funniest still, is that people complaining about that are playing NR, a faction that's quite bad in the current meta.

Even funnier is that one of the people complaining is a Monsters player. A faction that's almost autopilot with huge numbers it can put out.

Besides the one player above playing NR at 4200, what MMR do the others play? I'm guessing low end of the MMR with incomplete decks. Furthermore, if you think NG is that good, give it a try. You'll be back playing Monsters and Skellige in no time.

P.S.

Sorry for sounding arrogant but this is how factions are ruined. People playing either bottom tier decks or playing at low MMR are complaining how they're getting beaten by a balanced-ish deck and cry nerf.

Snake_Foxhounder;n9719271 said:
I love all the complaints about NG one of, if not the most, balanced faction(s) in the game.

Funniest still, is that people complaining about that are playing NR, a faction that's quite bad in the current meta.

Even funnier is that one of the people complaining is a Monsters player. A faction that's almost autopilot with huge numbers it can put out.

Besides the one player above playing NR at 4200, what MMR do the others play? I'm guessing low end of the MMR with incomplete decks. Furthermore, if you think NG is that good, give it a try. You'll be back playing Monsters and Skellige in no time.

P.S.

Sorry for sounding arrogant but this is how factions are ruined. People playing either bottom tier decks or playing at low MMR are complaining how they're getting beaten by a balanced-ish deck and cry nerf.

Exactly. The only thing NG has going for it is the fact that it can be consistent with a good build. But I lose all the time to damn meta monsters and damn tempo NR. I just don't have the power to keep up with those numbers. NG isn't about overwhelming, well the spy subtype isn't about overwhelming an opponent with power, but setting up to sabotage them later in the game. Now the NG deck that I think is more broken and makes me groan is the reveal subtype. It's just difficult to play against with a Spy variant NG because of the lack of power. And Reveal tends to spawn those damn Pikemen, and then they also have those trebuchets that every time you reveal a card damage an enemy. And I lose tempo in my spies quite a bit when I am trying to recover numbers.

And the only NR Spy deck that I would admit is cheap is because people play it cheap. Three of the archers that every time a spy enters the field you deal 2 damage, plus once I saw it be done with a summoning circle so they had 4. I forfeited so fast.

I only run 2 of those archers, because I play a sabotage variant with Ciri dash. I use Auckes, Serrit [he's my anti reveal deck, I love playing against a reveal version of NG and they reveal a card and I place down serit and reduce their card to 1], and the guy you can reset a card, eventually I am going to get letho in the deck, and then I am going to run Cahir, Ciri Dash, Xaranthisius [or how you spell it], and not sure yet what else.

Point is I agree with your points. NG Spies is ridiculous underpowered compared to Skell, Monster Consume, NR Siege Poor Flanking Foltest Trebuchet Henslett b.s., and Spellatiel. The only way I win against NR is often just pulling lucky ass draws because of the consistency of the deck.

Snake_Foxhounder;n9719271 said:

P.S.

Fully agree on this. NG works swell this season, but it is definitely not OP and whoever whines about it should first give it a try.

I really dont want to annoy you guys but as long as 50%+ of all my games are versus the exact same spy deck, ( im sitting around 3600) and seemingly more people experience the same, and complain about it, then its for a reason. Im playing like 10 games a day and at least 6 of them are always against this specific spy deck. If it wasn't overpowered then it would not be so popular!
Still, being overpowered doesnt mean its unbeatable. This is something most of you seem to forget. I keep hearing the same argument: " but skelige restore is killing me" or armor/boost northern realm deck is more overpowered".
Multiple decks can be overpowered, and no deck has a 100% winrate. The point is: peopel want to win with the least effort and thats why most of them are netdecking this spydeck. For the same reason people play real madrid or barcalona in fifa.
Just face it, if a specific deck is overpopulated, its overpowered. Which again, doesnt say its unbeatable.
im playing mulligan st and i lose like half of the battles against this deck. I am really struggling to kill units, which will result in a never ending spy/ medic spam which i cant interupt. Off course i can swap some lock cards in or cards that banish oponent cards but then my deck would be weak against other decks.
this spy deck has a 50+% winrate against almost every dekc which makes it op.

The reason you're seeing that many is because spies are somewhat popular, not OP. At 3600MMR John Calveit is the 6th most used leader, while Emhyr is 9th. Hardly OP. Even at high-end, tryhard 4000+ MMR, he's 4th and NG is the 3rd most popular faction.

If NG isn't being used by high ranking players who can't afford losses in order to climb, how is NG OP if they're behind SK and MO, respectively?

Monsters are easy to play. Spam weather to kill enforcers. Woodland Spirit has great value here, as NG has a hard time keeping up tempo. Run Scorch for Imperas. Monsters mostly run low stregth cards so Vicovaros don't do much.

Skellige easily out tempos NG. Enforcers are useless here, since SK can revive up to 5 cards with ease.

I like your comment, finally someone who comes with solutions instead of just spamming its not overpowered without arguments.
The only thing i have a problem with is that you just name one specific deck or card which can beat this deck. I mean that for a truckload of other decks this spydeck is nearly impossible to beat.
I agree that skellige restore and northern realms are also overpowered which shows in popularity. My problem is just thst EVERY deck should be able to compete against ANY other deck.
The real problem is that these 3 overpowered decks are loaded with "summoning" cards which means they can basicly nullify any chance on a bad draw by keep drawing what they need and send everything they dont need to the graveyard. While for me, playing ST, I NEED to draw specific cards in order to win. IF i happen to beat one of these 3 decks (spy/restore/nr) its only because im damn lucky to draw what i need on the right moment and NOT because they have a bad draw. These decks, no matter what their opening hand is, are always able to get there deck working as they wish by redrawing

Last edited:
BartjeBink;n9720331 said:
The real problem is that these 3 overpowered decks are loaded with "summoning" cards which means they can basicly nullify any chance on a bad draw by keep drawing what they need and send everything they dont need to the graveyard.
Aren't you speaking about that ridiculous milla'taels able to literally choose cards from the deck?

And back to spy NG - they are more like easy 2-0 with 30+ ahead each round for my reveal deck here at 4k. They are absolutely no OP, especially comparing to decks like put-all-deck-on-graveyard-and-ressurect-what-you-need skellige and remove-everything-with-alzur-and-spawn-3x25bodies spella'taels (not even mentioning that funny buff-twenty-bodies-with-unicon-twice monsters).

Are we really discussing about NG being OP? Are we serious?

NG spies is an average deck with dire weaknesses. If you are being stomped by NG spies its because your deck is a failure.

There is a long list of problems with Gwent. NG and/or the spy mechanic is not one le them.

TheRedWatcher;n9718321 said:
I absolutely disagree NR is ridiculously overpowered. No faction can come close to their power level it's absolute insane. To play Poor Flanking Infantry to Reaver Scout to Poor Flanking Infantry. Plus add Foltset or the Seige engine and so every time Poor Flanking Infantry and the Siege support comes in they get boosted up to the ass. A man can only have so many locks in his deck. Plus then add the siege with the trebuchets. NG cannot come to that boost or that power. Sure spies are incredibly efficient, but I lose to NR all the time. All the time. Because they summon and boost more than my own base power of cards.

Not even at all. NR is NOT ridiculously overpowered. There are indeed powerful plays that can be utilized in NR, but it is also easily shut down (locks or destruction) and easily punished in Gwents current incarnation (especially in the 4000+ MMR Meta, which was what my *whole* comment was about in the first place). Please do not ignore the context of my comment.

You also fail to address the synergy problem in NR which is by far my biggest grievance; Foltest is a perfect example of the lack of synergy, he buffs every unit by a power of 1, but please do tell, where is the synergy in that? For what reason would it be benefit NR units to have an extra 1 power? What functional role does this leader play in a NR deck? Oh, none? Imagine my shock.

It also doesn't help that some bronze NR unit seem to have been deducted 1 power because they would be too strong to be punished by certain cards if you used Foltest with them - which I imagine would be the only reason why you would want to use Foltest in the first place.

-

I also wanted to make it known, my comment was not about NG being overpowered, just that NR needs to be refined (which is related to this thread). Besides, Monsters and Skellige are greater threats than NG - If I could play NG all the time I'd probably be at 4500 MMR by
now to be honest.

Oh, by the
way CD Project Red, I'm in dire need for a job, so if you are watching and you would kindly give me a job as a Game Designer I promise I will make Gwent Great AGAIN! ;>
Promise~

Last edited:
BartjeBink;n9720331 said:
My problem is just thst EVERY deck should be able to compete against ANY other deck.
Oh yea, because deck-building shouldn't require any skill at all. Why people that spend alot of time building their decks and, people that are creative with it, should have an edge over the others!? Let's put on a blindfold, pick random cards and play like 1 year old babies! (sarcasm mode on)

Vaerynn;n9720471 said:
Not even at all. NR is NOT ridiculously overpowered. There are indeed powerful plays that can be utilized in NR, but it is also easily shut down (locks or destruction) and easily punished in Gwents current incarnation (especially in the 4000+ MMR Meta, which was what my *whole* comment was about in the first place). Please do not ignore the context of my comment.

You also fail to address the synergy problem in NR which is by far my biggest grievance; Foltest is a perfect example of the lack of synergy, he buffs every unit by a power of 1, but please do tell, where is the synergy in that? For what reason would it be benefit NR units to have an extra 1 power? What functional role does this leader play in a NR deck? Oh, none? Imagine my shock.

It also doesn't help that some bronze NR unit seem to have been deducted 1 power because they would be too strong to be punished by certain cards if you used Foltest with them - which I imagine would be the only reason why you would want to use Foltest in the first place.

-

I also wanted to make it known, my comment was not about NG being overpowered, just that NR needs to be refined (which is related to this thread). Besides, Monsters and Skellige are greater threats than NG - If I could play NG all the time I'd probably be at 4500 MMR by
now to be honest.

Oh, by the
way CD Project Red, I'm in dire need for a job, so if you are watching and you would kindly give me a job as a Game Designer I promise I will make Gwent Great AGAIN! ;>
Promise~

1) I didn't ignore the context of your comment. People run locks in their deck, but that isn't enough. I have watched some shit with summoning circle, reaver scout, and Henslet before. Where I lock one card, that doesn't matter as NR just copy the same card and boop. How many locks do you want someone to run? Utilities cards shouldn't have to be so reliant to win against a deck. Foltest does have synergy though, He strengthens his units and it worked like that in Witcher 3. I am sorry NG deck is not going to come close to NR power. I should have saved a screen shot of how a NR deck managed 154 power in the final round. And I already used shackles, scorch, and thunders. NG has Draw Power, NR has Meta and Unit Power.

2) There is no synergy problem with NR. I ran a NR deck just to see what it was about. Poor flanking infantry just summoned like that, snap of the fingers, play Foltest afterward not very first, then add a Kewedian siege guy then use reaver scout to copy either the siege guy or the poor flanking infantry, oh there's more units on the field, now commander horn or thunder potion or swallow or any numbers of boost. And you have out powered and out numbered your opponent in no time. I do not see how you don't see strong meta as synergy. Because it is. Just because NR doesn't have draw power, just because NR doesn't run spells, Meta is Synergy in a NR deck.

Theodrik;n9720701 said:
Oh yea, because deck-building shouldn't require any skill at all. Why people that spend alot of time building their decks and, people that are creative with it, should have an edge over the others!? Let's put on a blindfold, pick random cards and play like 1 year old babies! (sarcasm mode on)

I think he meant faction.

Hopefully this discussion isn't getting too heated. So please, let us continue to keep this as respectful as possible :)

Here goes the pattern with these discussions

I'm using that deck so everything you said is wrong

I'm losing to that deck a lot so fuck that deck

Then back and forth, usually broken up by someone writing a long post in another colour, a few people responding to that rise and repeat.

I say track a reasonable sample size of your games, if you are facing problem deck A 75% of the time there is an issue. My only real complain/fear of the game is repetition and when a deck is either legit OP or full of exploits that's what you get, if it wins it wins so why wouldn't people play it.

Top Bottom