NG+ - Tips for not leveling past 30? (after already being at a high level)

+
NG+ - Tips for not leveling past 30? (after already being at a high level)

Darn, I didn't know the rules of NG+ and really want to start no higher than 30. I'd been playing and traveling to make the game last, and after seeing NG+ come out, am rushing to finish to start over, but I am getting so much XP thrown at me in the end main story quests I'm shooting past 31 and may hit 32 or 33. Started Isle of Mists at 28, and have not finished it.

Any tips on how to only be at 30 when I finish, without starting over or going way back in saves to skip all the side stuff I did? I checked my saves and I would likely have to go back to level 24 saves to not pass 30, but still could be wrong. Plus I will lose the Places of Power I found, gear upgrades etc. I have a save where I am starting Isle of Mists at level 24. If I did only main story from that point, what level do you think I would land on when finishing the game?

Any way to mod a save to reduce your level? Any way to turn off XP accrual? I've already dumped trophies but the 5% ain't gonna make the difference anyway.

Last edited:
I think you should just enjoy the game and not care if you start new game + at level 30 or level 38. If you start it too high just tell yourself you will run around without some armor or something. BOTTOM LINE JUST ENJOY THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For sure there will be a way to edit your XP level. There probably is one now, via the console commands.

I'm more concerned with why you think it would be better to not be much higher than 30. Is it strictly because of the NG+ monster levels?

I myself have still not finished the game (yes, I am milking it), though I am in KM and going to start what I assume are the last few quests after I explore the area and get the last pieces of the Wolf Armor. However I am currently level 31, and have no idea how much more main story XP is headed my way. And I really would like to be able to craft the level 34 MasterCrafted stuff before I finish.

Isn't that an irony? So much rage about quests not rewarding full XP because of 6 levels difference, mods to make them give full XP. And here we go to the point someone want to limit XP received from quests to not over level character. Nobody expected that.

@SgtThundercok
The higher the level the difference between them gets smaller (in terms of vitality and sign intensity, you're not forced to use the highest level swords and armor you can based on your level). I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Just enjoy the game and then do the quest in NG+ in any order you want.

Thanks for the reply's. I decided to just keep playing, enjoy the game, and be whatever level I get too. I didn't take long to make that decison. So there ya go @cleanupdisc.

@brogan: Yeah I wanted the greatest challenge, so level 30.

Love my maxed to the top Igni (minus firestream) and Yrden; damn I love Yrden. Lasts so long, bogs them down, damages them. It's like a slow dance.

And thanks for the reminder. When I finish this first pass I'll go after the master patterns before I start NG+. Didn't pick them up before heading to the Isles.

@Trzebiat: Good point on gear level

Thanks for the reply's. I decided to just keep playing, enjoy the game, and be whatever level I get too. I didn't take long to make that decison. So there ya go @cleanupdisc.

@brogan: Yeah I wanted the greatest challenge, so level 30.

Love my maxed to the top Igni (minus firestream) and Yrden; damn I love Yrden. Lasts so long, bogs them down, damages them. It's like a slow dance.

And thanks for the reminder. When I finish this first pass I'll go after the master patterns before I start NG+. Didn't pick them up before heading to the Isles.

@Trzebiat: Good point on gear level

A friendly advice: Be sure to keep your sign intensity % topped up, because in NG+, enemies have a lot more resistance to signs.

And yeah, seriously, your level doesn't matter that much. I still find it a good decent challenge on deathmarch, even starting at 38 (you'll learn that wolfpacks are now the dominant force in velen, lol). Also, I've unequipped deadly precision. Because restarting a certain section 5 times because geralt insta-kills devourers which then explode and insta-gib geralt himself is just fracking frustrating...

Use the XP multiplier mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/17/?

Just change the multiplier to 0.1 for quests and kills, virtually stopping XP gain. (Using Axii options during dialogue scenes and blowing up monster nests still give small amounts of XP).

You can turn this off and on at any time. I personally use it to stop my level gain in each area at a specific point, for example:

White Orchard: Level to 4, turn off XP and complete area. Move on.
Velen: Level to 10, turn off XP and complete.
Novigrad: Level to 16, turn off XP and complete
Skellige: Level to 22, turn off XP and complete.

From then on, just play normally and your XP should keep you at an appropriate level, which keeps the game challenging and fun. If you accidentally let your level get too low to move on or to do a main quest, just turn up the multiplier to 10x until you get to the right level (or increase it via console command).

Simple, and effective.

A friendly advice: Be sure to keep your sign intensity % topped up, because in NG+, enemies have a lot more resistance to signs.

And yeah, seriously, your level doesn't matter that much. I still find it a good decent challenge on deathmarch, even starting at 38 (you'll learn that wolfpacks are now the dominant force in velen, lol). Also, I've unequipped deadly precision. Because restarting a certain section 5 times because geralt insta-kills devourers which then explode and insta-gib geralt himself is just fracking frustrating...

@PillarBiter
At level 31, still not done with normal game; 168 sign intensity. It feels good and strong in the game, so I assume that's a decent number. Using Melt Armor, Magic Trap, and Sustained Glyphs, with all points in both trees, except zero points into 'Firestream.

I only use a sword because I have to. I love the Yrden slow-mo dance and torch frenzy.

---------- Updated at 11:38 PM ----------

@Gallarian
Well, there it is. I decided to press on but I love the idea of using it as you described, and am going to on my next NG play-through.

Thanks.

Firestream looks so cool though :(

I do find it useful when I only aim to just set enemies on fire so I dont waste my WHOLE stamina bar on a couple.

I'm wondering what is the purpose of NG+
I've just started a NG+ with lvl 34. The first Ghouls are lvl 31 instead of 1. I expected to play with an overpowered Geralt instead of playing the game in the same way when I played the first time at lvl 1.

I'd say the primary purpose is to allow you to replay, but with your skills available to customize. Exactly the way I want it anyway.

Just turn to the lowest gameplay setting if you want to be overpowered.

I'm wondering what is the purpose of NG+
I've just started a NG+ with lvl 34. The first Ghouls are lvl 31 instead of 1. I expected to play with an overpowered Geralt instead of playing the game in the same way when I played the first time at lvl 1.

Its so you can playthrough again with all your skills and gear that youve earnt. The challenge should be slightly harder, so youre not meant to be 'overpowered'.

Top Bottom