Night City 2020 vs Night City 2077

+
So I understand that people might be disappointed with police or Ai or whatever, but I really don't care much about that stuff. What I was super excited for and what I felt let down the most was the representation of the city in flashbacks.
I wasn't expecting an insane amount of effort to be put into this, but man this was the part of the game that stuck out as the most half assed to me. The first flashback was better than the second one. You can absolutely tell the second one had the least amount of effort.
Why were modern Mantis Blades present and not something like BigRipps? Shaitan's ECLIPLSE conversion was where? Why did everyone use modern weaponry except Johnny? Where's the FN-RALS and the Minami-10? Why was US Cracks being advertised 50 years earlier and not something like FIngers and the Outlaws (Super cool they got a track btw!). I don't know what Santiago and Rogue usually ride on, but why was it the Brennan and the Kusanagi instead of something like the Bermuda and the Ashigaru?
I understand the explanation is most likely going to be something like "damaged chip" or "V's memories blending with Johnny's" for a in-game reason. For a real reason, I understand these things are minor and really don't matter to the average player who has no idea what the hell any of the things I mentioned are. Why spend effort and time on what is a very small part of the game? A lot of those little things add up to become distracting to me overall and honestly it would have been super neat to see those oldies come back into 2077 like some of the other goodies from the past.
I dunno, what are the general thoughts about this?

I totally agree with you, I noticed these too. In that flashback the developers paid far less attention to details than in other parts of the game. Billboards, cars, motorcycles, weapons from 2077 in 2013. It was a little disappointing.

A lot of those little things add up to become distracting to me overall and honestly it would have been super neat to see those oldies come back into 2077 like some of the other goodies from the past.
I dunno, what are the general thoughts about this?

Yeah it was at first very cool to be back In the Day..and then I saw the ads from 2077...weapons from 2077...uhhh...

Immersion -break-.

You have to consider 2077 is not a more advanced version of 2020, quite the contrary.

2077 was created to have a more limited and primitive world that make sense in an open world video games. Changes that I recall are:
1) in 2077 internet is gone, there are only local networks
2) some more advanced weapons, like smart weapons, are less frequent, so acquiring them give the player a sense of progression
3) global transportation system is gone, goods are moved between the few remaining city trhough the nomads (no ships, no airplanes)

I'm trying to find the interview to Mike Pondsmith where he explained this, but I cannot find it.

I don't know what Santiago and Rogue usually ride on, but why was it the Brennan and the Kusanagi instead of something like the Bermuda and the Ashigaru?

Its got to do with itemization of CP2077. Theres actually not that many items, weapons and vehicles to go around. Like there is the bare minimum. Since the game only has three motorcycle types, thats what Santiago has to ride on. Same for weapons and so on.

I am PARTICULARLY disappointed by cybernetics. Feels like theres only a handful when there should be a whole catalog... We are the ACTUAL CYBERPUNK UNIVERSE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. Why does Deus Ex games do better than us? Couple pages off a chromebook instead of three whole chromebooks.. What we got is JUST enough for gameplay but there's just one of each. Don't have to make any choices since there are no choices to be made.

I mean, I sort of understand it, but I still cant shake the "bare minimum" feeling of it all. And I understand why, because of the massive scope of the game and limited time, but there are tons and tons and tons of stuff they could add....if they go for the rockstar-style open world game with monetization.

After 105 hours of the main game, I still haven't even been able to fill all my cyberware slots..... (its got to do with cyber having stat requirements and me specializing to ref and body). I want nothing more than go all the way, but the game doesn't let me. Some slots you can only put ONE cyberware on it and thats it. Maximum is the choice between two. Just.... disappointing.

Oh and don't get me started on cyberware having stat requirements, when cyber in fact should be there to let you OVERCOME THE LIMITS OF YOUR BODY. It makes no sense.

Last edited:
ngl, while I do love 2077, it's a pretty weak interpretation of the whole cyberpunk/night city world that Pondsmith created, considering how much content that was created (chrome sourcebooks) and fan generated contributions, 2077 doesn't even scratch the surface of what Pondsmiths vision of Night city is, I do hope future dlc/content rectify's this, exotic cyberware, flying vehicles,proper netrunning, comprehensive weapon lists, specialized ammo, the lack of varied "random encounters", missing character classes...jeez I could go on for a while about what makes cyberpunk...cyberpunk.

ngl, while I do love 2077, it's a pretty weak interpretation of the whole cyberpunk/night city world that Pondsmith created, considering how much content that was created (chrome sourcebooks) and fan generated contributions, 2077 doesn't even scratch the surface of what Pondsmiths vision of Night city is, I do hope future dlc/content rectify's this, exotic cyberware, flying vehicles,proper netrunning, comprehensive weapon lists, specialized ammo, the lack of varied "random encounters", missing character classes...jeez I could go on for a while about what makes cyberpunk...cyberpunk.

its not realistic to expect one videogame to encompass like 20-30 years of creativity. All you need for a sourcebook is an idea, an AAA videogame needs to create an actual 3d representation of everything.

Top Bottom