Night City + classes play style concerns

+
Night City + classes play style concerns

I have 2 major concerns regarding the game.

1. Night City - is it possible nowdays to design a game where the City really feels like a big metropolis? With crowded streets, and the buildings that you can enter and explore? Buildings could be randomly generated but having crowded streets is probably something impossible to achieve yet. This is something Deus Ex failed to deliver, moreover the city was really small with only few people in it

2. Classes Play Style - I hope netrunning will not be just a simple minigame, same as technician role. As netrunner I would love to be really able to be surf the web like in Johny Mnemonic movie, as tech guy I would like to be able to construct my own devices, like robots. Rockman - to lead the mob,med guy to create drugs and implants like Peter Riviera from Neuromancer to be illusionists.

I really would love to have each class to be as much unique as possible. I uderstand some classes are really hard to introduce, like businessman or nomad so they probably should be skipped but playing the reporter that want to reveal some big scandal, or dirty cop, or member of the psycho squad or solo on the edge of cyber psychosis would be awesome.

Please do not make the game like any other when the playstyle is only to choose from sneak/open fire/devices reprograming/pseudo hacking minigames

If netrunning is anything like the stupid hacking in Deus Ex: HR, I am going to be pissed.

I want to run wild. I want to see glowing samurai, wizards, succubi, demons, and hellhounds everywhere. I want to make them all my electronic bitches.

Gimme hellbolts, or gimme death.

Netrunning..is going to be a MAJOR challenge for CDPr. It is, arguably, the definitive cyberpunk experience, brain-to-software in a virtual world. Ironically, video games tend to do a crappy job of rendering this virtual world in a virtual world. The last time I recall being impressed was System Shock. Long, long ago.

I liked DEHR hacking game fine, but that's not running the Net.

Running the net, the "consensual hallucination that was the matrix" into which your disembodied consciousness is projected, to quote William Gibson, is an absorbing, exciting, even dangerous experience. At least, that is how the fiction makes it seem.

It could truly be a game on it's own, but I really think it shines in contrast to a simulated world such as 2077 is promised to be.

It's one thing to see streets and buildings and another when you can draw a mental map of how they correspond to your next hack attempt. Just as soon as you pick up some Kibble from the store.

So the play style and class of Netrunner deserves, I think, the most attention by far. Every class should spend a little time in the Net, but the Netrunner should nearly live there.

It's a whole second world, with pitfalls, directions, residents, traps and treasure. Here's hoping CDPr think so as well. Playing a character that lives in the "real " world and then jacks into a whole separate reality that still interacts with that "real" world? Never been done before, really. Not to any depth.

To be honest, if you're going to do both enter any building and/or Netrunning in a VR way as described by RBs Guide to the Net, the game needs to support user generated content and mods, as its impossible to envisage all the options without huge amounts of duplication - shops looking the same, apartments in every building having the same layouts and so on.

Also Netrunning needs data fortresses that you walk and play through (not a mini game), as well as hacking and camera feeds used in other games and ability to code your own programs (crafting)

I agree with you OP. I hope the classes are gonna be more diverse with each other. That way, whenever you play, it is a whole different experience, increasing the replay ability.

I hope netrunning is similar to the holodeck, a reflection of the real word and not navigating some Tron-like environment.

I hope netrunning is similar to the holodeck, a reflection of the real word and not navigating some Tron-like environment.

It would probably be similar to a holodeck, if it follows existing lore, because if I remember correctly, I read that the Arasaka Data Fortress was actually an elaborate rendition of a 16th century Japanese Castle... But I can't remember if that's exactly right, I have some vague recollection from 'Guide to the Net' but its in the garage so can't look it up right now

Classes? Roles you mean :p

Honestly, that's one of the things I love about CP2020 (still play it with friends occasionally). No silly classes constraining you, just your role. Your job. And all it defines is what 10 skills you can start with. As your character grows you can learn anything you want, except the special skill unique to a role. Really hope they keep that intact, but I'm sure they are! It'd be silly not to.

What I really hope they also keep is that the Role was not necessarily your character's job. I don't know if this is singleplayer or multiplayer, but I loved being able to be a Fixer on the Vice Squad. Just because your role is Cop doesn't mean you are law enforcement!

But its a computer game, so we'll see how we have to constrain things. It'll never be as free as pen and paper.

But Netrunning... I'm not sure how that is going to work. It won't be perfect. For one, it was a pain in the rear to deal with in the pen and paper RPG. For two, everything happens at the speed of thought, so while you can 'spend an hour in the Net' it would have only been a few minutes in the real world. Won't be able to replicate that in a multiplayer game, though it should be easily possible in a singleplayer game.

Dystopia's take on it wasn't that bad, but yes. The visual static background, neon glowing samurai and floating billboards and being able to bounce your signal so you are harder to trace would be nice to keep true.

Well for sure Netrunner is most challanging - but pottentially it can be so much fun... Image that u are moving in something that is representation of real world - like using cameras and microphones so u can be something like a ghost that is chased by security programs that u need to fight of. Or again inspiration from Neuromancer when Case was inside Molly body seeying what she saw and comunnicating with where while getting inside and outside of the net. This would be fantastic for corp play if there will be one but also if there will be some awesome NPCs that joins the player party. If CD would do something like this ...wow!

Classes? Roles you mean :p.

I guess so :) I was playing polish edition of CP2020 so I am translating back to english and it was a while since last game so probably I will make a lot of mistakes in CP2020 terminology :)

Aver

Forum veteran
having crowded streets is probably something impossible to achieve yet. This is something Deus Ex failed to deliver, moreover the city was really small with only few people in it

Try Hitman Absolution to see crowded streets - and this game is designed for current gen consoles.

Absolution does do crowded well - but it does poorly at open-world. Still, two years to go. Hope.

Also, nice sig, Arbas. I remember it well. Now, if only they mentioned the guy had a Luck score of, oh, 10.

Try Hitman Absolution to see crowded streets - and this game is designed for current gen consoles.

Thats really nice, just saw the game footage from youtube, and since CP 2077 will not be limited by current gen consoles there is a chance. I want to see my 4 cores on 90% load while running the game :)

Absolution does do crowded well - but it does poorly at open-world. Still, two years to go. Hope.

As for crowding - seeying what was done in the Hitman it is possible and gives hope :) Obviously Night City needs to be huge with unique distincts. And I hope combat zone will be biggest. Will see how CD Project will get with transition from kind of limited world with several locations like in the witcher series to huge open world but I believe in them :)

Also, nice sig, Arbas. I remember it well. Now, if only they mentioned the guy had a Luck score of, oh, 10.

Or even more than that :)

Aver

Forum veteran
Absolution does do crowded well - but it does poorly at open-world.

But 6 years old hardware is capable to run this game (X360). It would be completely possible to do such crowds in open-world game nowadays if it would be PC exclusive. I bet that next-gen consoles will be able to do such thing too.

The PnP had a combination of both low rez up to ultra realistic. All depended on the corporation hosting the datafort

Top Bottom