Night City crowd diversity system

+
I agree with SnogardragonS on this matter. Having so much means that every once in a while, you are bound to find some duplicates. Skyrim also has many unique characters, but you can tell that many of them use the same voice actor and similar 3D model. But it does not bother me because I enjoy the game for what it is. But we will have to wait and see when Cyberpunk released.
Skyrim has the best NPCs I've ever seen, has few, but they are all unique, have a routine in the game (wake, eat, work, sleep etc.) I remember the guards change shift to eat/sleep.. is amazing :love:

These might be placeholder assets from a game in pre-alpha still. But...it might also be something unavoidable that comes with having hundreds of NPC walking around. I mean, I feel GTAV tries to have as much variety as possible, but you still get duplicate NPCs. So...we'll see.

Yeah it's unavoidable, this isn't a medi evil world anymore with small villages and towns and only one or two big cities. Also THIS is not an important thing right now. Later on you can make as many NPCs as you want when you are done with the really important stuff, same as with the Character Creator who could use some tooling, this is more something for the end of the development or the moment the model designers are done with modelling the main characters and stuff.

What I hope to see then is some really funky, crazy Cyberpunk stuff, considering what was possible in 2020 in terms of transhumanism. Until now most people are really just people with some prosthetics, Lizzy Wizzy as fully chromed is the exception for now in crazyness.

Even if there were procedurally generated npc's you'd get repeats. It'd still have to draw from a pool of pre-created resources. Hell, even in real life you can run into somebody that looks or dresses similar to yourself. Sometimes you run into somebody wearing the exact same outfit.. and then feel awkward. Some people actually meet their doppelganger and then take pictures of the meet and put it on the internet. I'd just run away if that happened to me. My response would be fear not joy.

I don't really mind if there are repeated random NPC's. You can't do anything with them anyway.

What I do wonder if it would be possible to tie small random-result interactions to the models. Small bit of chatter that might reveal a "random encounter" around the corner or some "secret/point of interest" nearby, pickpocketing for random item or eddies, intimidating (for a either a fight on sight - fists or guns, randomly - or to get few eddies, or have the NPC flee), seduction, persuasion (for temporary follower), knock-out (for fun and looting the body).

Little bits like that to spice up the bots. I don't care at all about them having routines, if there really is nothing you can do with them.

Skyrim has the best NPCs I've ever seen, has few, but they are all unique, have a routine in the game (wake, eat, work, sleep etc.) I remember the guards change shift to eat/sleep.. is amazing :love:

Yeah, but Bethesda also kind of cheats by actually modeling out EVERY NPC. Because, so far, they've not made anything that really needed a massive amount of random NPCs walking around, Bethesda have had the luxury of being able to do that. It takes longer, but it also give better quality. And I don't see their upcoming space game, Starfield to be any different. Even ESO doesn't really have any truly random NPCs.

However, the crowds in CP2077 look REALLY good. No matter how many duplicates. And unless you know what you're looking for, those duplicates are kind of hard to spot even now.

Problem is not duplicate NPCs. Problem is currently most of them look like cyber hipsters fresh out of the gym. All in their 20s/30s, same height, athletic figure... doesn't seem like Night City is the worst and most dangerous place to live in 2077 America, lol.

Problem is not duplicate NPCs. Problem is currently most of them look like cyber hipsters fresh out of the gym. All in their 20s/30s, same height, athletic figure... doesn't seem like Night City is the worst and most dangerous place to live in 2077 America, lol.

At the time of the demo, there seemed to be about 10 presets for everything, but there are quite a few non average bodies in there and many of different height but yes dominated by more fit/young characters or super short or tall ones. And no kids.

V and Jackie seem to be the default body types.

Again showing off a demo in progress, they can always add more once everything else is there and working properly.

Not sure what that has to do with worst and most dangerous, a 20 something girl with an athletic body can kill you just as well as a 40s something muscle guy or not so fit person for that matter. Danger doesn't come from the way someone's body is or what age they are, unless at the very young or old ends of the spectrum really, but firearms are the great equalizer in that regard.

And I quote from 2020 "Because a 10mm slug at high velocity beats kung-fu any day"

And I quote from 2020 "Because a 10mm slug at high velocity beats kung-fu any day"

Sure..but not everyone goes to guns immediately. Or at all, since it raises the stakes to terminal.

And in that sense, of non-lethal fights, a good big guy beats a good little guy pretty much every time. Weight classes exist for a reason.

Sure..but not everyone goes to guns immediately. Or at all, since it raises the stakes to terminal.

And in that sense, of non-lethal fights, a good big guy beats a good little guy pretty much every time. Weight classes exist for a reason.

Sure, but that isn't what the OP is talking about. It was just an example, that lack of body types has nothing to do with how dangerous the world is suppose to be.

Top Bottom