Night City quite immersive and alive

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I saw a lot of posts that Night City is dead but I fail to see that.

I have played about 30 hours and I can see how quests appear from everywhere. Every couple of minutes I get a call of message.

When I walk through the city I hear so many dialogs (funny or sad), I can see how police and some gang are shooting in each other, I see a lot of events. You can suddenly be robbed by scavengers, or meet a prophet. And gigs make you feel that there is much things happen in the city.

The city itself is so detailed. Every corner is interesting to see, so great to find a beautiful spot to make a screenshot of just enjoy the view. Especially I like to ride a bike.

I understand though that citizens of the city are mostly dummies, they can bump in each other or just disappear in front of me. But if I start to fight with come gang member, every citizen around get scared and run screaming.

It is no doubts that NPC AI should be improved, but I do not feel any discomfort.

Last edited:
I agree. I think Night City is fantastic. Literally every block there's something new and interesting to discover, big or small. Night City is unlike any other city I've seen in any game - it's a great achievement.
Do I want more? Absolutely! But so far so good. I am loving the game and exploring it all.
I feel sorry for those users that are having issues, but I really haven't encountered any so far (on PC - High settings mostly).

I kinda have to disagree. It's "alive" from a surface level only, but approach a random person and click "talk" and you quickly find out that people don't even look at you when they reply, and all of them have some one-sentence variation of telling you 'please leave me alone' (aka - I wasn't programmed to actually converse with you). Makes me wonder why they have a "talk" option for every NPC to begin with, if it's not a prominent feature. Found that aspect pretty disappointing.

I kinda have to disagree. It's "alive" from a surface level only, but approach a random person and click "talk" and you quickly find out that people don't even look at you when they reply, and all of them have some one-sentence variation of telling you 'please leave me alone' (aka - I wasn't programmed to actually converse with you). Makes me wonder why they have a "talk" option for every NPC to begin with, if it's not a prominent feature. Found that aspect pretty disappointing.
I don't remember such feature in Witcher 3 or Skyrim and so on. It is nearly impossible to write dialogs for millions of citizen

I don't remember such feature in Witcher 3 or Skyrim and so on. It is nearly impossible to write dialogs for millions of citizen

Yeah, well you probably don't remember CDPR promising 1000 AI routines hand crafted as well.
You probably don't remember polic being "corrupt" and taking bribes and acting upon it instead of standing braindead on the sidewalk and spawn from thin air when you are wanted and vanish when you move one block away...
There are many things that you don't remember, go rewatch their Q&A, reveals and interviews to refresh your memory.

Well, I saw a lot of posts that Night City is dead but I fail to see that.

I have played about 30 hours and I can see how quests appear from everywhere. Every couple of minutes I get a call of message.

When I walk through the city I hear so many dialogs (funny or sad), I can see how police and some gang are shooting in each other, I see a lot of events. You can suddenly be robbed by scavengers, or meat a prophet. And gigs make you feel that there is much things happen in the city.

The city itself is so detailed. Every corner is interesting to see, so great to find a beautiful spot to make a screenshot of just enjoy the view. Especially I like to ride a bike.

I understand though that citizens of the city are mostly dummies, they can bump in each other or just disappear in front of me. But if I start to fight with come gang member, every citizen around get scared and run screaming.

It is no doubts that NPC AI should be improved, but I do not feel any discomfort.

You just have lower standards than most people. Maybe you should give RDR2 a go and see how it compares.

the world looks great but its skin deep. any game can have side missions etc. Worlds like this are supposed to have far more etc.

take a read

It depends on what aspects of Night City you are talking about. I agree the city itself is detailed and the little characters interacting with each other does add to the immersion of it being alive. Its just the foundation of a city is its people, and the AI of the people just don't live up to the detail of the city. For example, when exploring night city I went to a little hub filled with a variety of shops, and there was two NPC's with one supporting one with their shoulder. When I came back to that same location hours later during a different time, the two NPC's were still there doing the exact same thing. Like I said the AI make up the foundation of the immersion in Night City since that is the thing you will be interacting with the most.

sorry mate but from an open world stand point it only really looks great and thats it.

Compare it to games like RDR2, Skyrim, Deus Ex, Mass Effect, hell even GTA V. the world is an ocean wide but a puddle deep.
Its hollow with very little to do in it aside from quests. there are no real role playing elements to it so aside from your gigs etc
Also quantity of people doesnt make up for quality. the world is populated. but you feel alone in it.

sorry mate but from an open world stand point it only really looks great and thats it.

Compare it to games like RDR2, Skyrim, Deus Ex, Mass Effect, hell even GTA V. the world is an ocean wide but a puddle deep.
Its hollow with very little to do in it aside from quests. there are no real role playing elements to it so aside from your gigs etc
Skyrim world was dead, just step outside of the quests. Deus ex is a masterpiece but not an RPG and not an open world game. And in last deus ex, for example, you also can't talk with dummies.

the world looks great but its skin deep. any game can have side missions etc. Worlds like this are supposed to have far more etc.

take a read

Criticism x cheering for something

It is one thing to criticize, constructively, in a good way, another, to hope, literally, that everything goes wrong to affirm a point of view. Cyberpunk has a potential the size of a megalopolis. The city, absurdly well-crafted, detailed, characters, too, and the list is gigantic of qualities, but the list is also long on eventual defects - which, over time - tend to be remedied. CD employs many workers - I care about them, from who serves the coffee, who works in cleaning or who programs in cutting edge technologies. For me, they are all the same and I love them very much. I think that to have maturity in criticism is also to understand their side and all the effort that they all made to have Cyberpunk still in 2020 (and not in 2024, something reasonable in terms of AAA games that, in general, take about 12 years to be finalized).

I do not deserve any criticism of any eventual error in the conduct of the project at the end, anticipations, etc ... but doing 'cheering' so that everything goes wrong is also not the way.

No insults, I'm just surprised you think this game holds up when it's incredibly mediocre.
I see a lot of problems, but the city is implemented really well. I compare.woth watch dogs 2 for example. Where you cannot talk with every NPC, but the city still a background for you quests.

Criticism x cheering for something

It is one thing to criticize, constructively, in a good way, another, to hope, literally, that everything goes wrong to affirm a point of view. Cyberpunk has a potential the size of a megalopolis. The city, absurdly well-crafted, detailed, characters, too, and the list is gigantic of qualities, but the list is also long on eventual defects - which, over time - tend to be remedied. CD employs many workers - I care about them, from who serves the coffee, who works in cleaning or who programs in cutting edge technologies. For me, they are all the same and I love them very much. I think that to have maturity in criticism is also to understand their side and all the effort that they all made to have Cyberpunk still in 2020 (and not in 2024, something reasonable in terms of AAA games that, in general, take about 12 years to be finalized).

I do not deserve any criticism of any eventual error in the conduct of the project at the end, anticipations, etc ... but doing 'cheering' so that everything goes wrong is also not the way.
Im not criticism cheering. i simply cant be bothered to type out all the reasons a lot of us dont find this world immersive compared to other games weve had over the last decade or more

Yeah, well you probably don't remember CDPR promising 1000 AI routines hand crafted as well.
You probably don't remember polic being "corrupt" and taking bribes and acting upon it instead of standing braindead on the sidewalk and spawn from thin air when you are wanted and vanish when you move one block away...
There are many things that you don't remember, go rewatch their Q&A, reveals and interviews to refresh your memory.
I'm an adult man and I'm a developer. I tend to not believe in everything we get from developers ;) but I'm talking about the current state of the city. And I believe it will be better. Just my opinion on that.

Not immersive. Beautiful (on PC), but not immersive.

I miss Cluck'in Bell, darts, playing pool with Little Jacob, golf, purchasing properties, flying planes, skydiving, et cetera, et cetera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom