Night City Wire, Episode 01!

+
That is not a fault of the game, but the fault of previewers who were expecting a COD or Destiny from a game clearly marketed as an RPG. You want to be good at guns? Invest in Firearms skills.

Well, in Cyberpunk 2020, which is obviously an RPG too, even with a low firearm skill, one bullet in the head is enough to flatline you.

Skills are about acuracy, everything else should be counter strike like...
(Ie: you're a pro in handgun, or you never touched one, a pro will hit the target, a noob will miss it, but the bullet's impact will be the same)

Now I can understand they tweaked it so you don't die over and over again...
But the Cyberpunk fights are supposedly lethal, even the hardest eurosolo can be wiped out with a clean headshot...

There are special bullets for cyborgs etc...
In context, even Adam Smasher could be put down with a few rounds in the right spot.

Sorry, but RPG or not, it's Cyberpunk, I kinda expect a head to explode if I shot it with a shotgun at close range.

Facial protection still have a 30% chance of direct headshot (and so, death)...

Skills should only matter about the acuracy of your shot, but the bullets does the same damage, hit or miss, a bullet shot is a bullet shot.

The fact enemies can resist such damage doesn't make the original rules justice and is kinda counter intuitive, only to push gimmicky RPG gamey stuff.

Is it like in Steeven Seagal's movie?
Bad guy and Steeven use the same guns, but the bad guy makes pin hole with his bullets, while Seagal does holes the size of a fist and cars explode at the smallest of his shot...
Some may say that's because he squeezes the trigger harder (or just because he's the hero), that's kinda absurd.

Cyberpunk is supposed to be another "reality" but still works as our own real world...
Damn, there isn't any "life jauge" to begin with.

In Cyberpunk 2077 there is one tho, but I don't think the "sponge" makes sense, neither "rare" gun that does more damage than the same gun with the same ammo.

Slow mo and fast paced action should be there "because one wrong bullets and game over", not just because it looks cool.

Why does the cinematics shows V slicing members and heads in one strike, but in situation, I'd yave to stab them 20times to kill them?...

Last edited:
Yes, I saw that review too. It broke my heart. :giveup:

Tbh, Techie, even in the Pnp is quite vague, it goes from the medical expertise to the hardware fixer, security protocol hacker etc...

Seemingly, the game follows the Fallout road.

You won't be Solo or Techie or netrunner.
You just build your game and upgrade skills that you find convenient in fight, hack or craft and that's it.

Well, in Cyberpunk 2020, which is obviously an RPG too, even with a low firearm skill, one bullet in the head is enough to flatline you.

(Ie: you're a pro in handgun, or you never touched one, a pro will hit the target, a noob will miss it, but the bullet's impact will be the same)

But the Cyberpunk fights are supposedly lethal, even the hardest eurosolo can be wiped out with a clean headshot...

In context, even Adam Smasher could be put down with a few rounds in the right spot.

Sorry, but RPG or not, it's Cyberpunk, I kinda expect a head to explode if I shot it with a shotgun at close range.

Skills should only matter about the acuracy of your shot, but the bullets does the same damage, hit or miss, a bullet shot is a bullet shot.

The fact enemies can resist such damage doesn't make the original rules justice and is kinda counter intuitive, only to push gimmicky RPG gamey stuff.

Bad guy and Steeven use the same guns, but the bad guy makes pin hole with his bullets, while Seagal does holes the size of a fist and cars explode at the smallest of his shot...
Some may say that's because he squeezes the trigger harder (or just because he's the hero), that's kinda absurd.

Cyberpunk is supposed to be another "reality" but still works as our own real world...

In Cyberpunk 2077 there is one tho, but I don't think the "sponge" makes sense, neither "rare" gun that does more damage than the same gun with the same ammo.

Slow mo and fast paced action should be there "because one wrong bullets and game over", not just because it looks cool.

Why does the cinematics shows V slicing members and heads in one strike, but in situation, I'd yave to stab them 20times to kill them?...

I have watched the videos & listened to all of the reviews, & I have not seen or heard any of the things that you've complained.about here. During that Monk rescue mission, all the enemies go down very quickly......almost too quick for my liking.

Tbh, Techie, even in the Pnp is quite vague, it goes from the medical expertise to the hardware fixer, security protocol hacker etc...

You just build your game and upgrade skills that you find convenient in fight, hack or craft and that's it.

Even in the Tabletop game, the different roles are more suggestions than hard & fast claases a la D&D.
Post automatically merged:

When is episode 2 ?

Can not find it anywhere...

Does CDPR knows??
They said a few weeks from last Thursday.....so I am guessing mid-July

I have watched the videos & listened to all of the reviews, & I have not seen or heard any of the things that you've complained.about here. During that Monk rescue mission, all the enemies go down very quickly......almost too quick for my liking.

That mission was played with advanced weapon (automatic rifle).

When you start the game, your first weapons are super basic (handgun, sawed off shotgun, etc...) And apparently they needs a few shots to be effective

I'd like to point out, also, that the Maelstrom are the first gang you'll fight (as seen in 2018 gameplay, which is the prologue), so they're the less leveled gang in the game supposedly...

Even in the Tabletop game, the different roles are more suggestions than hard & fast claases a la D&D.

I know that, I master the tabletop for a more than a decade...

Roles are just to aim your roleplay in different direction and give each character a handful of skills to flesh their RP better, but the same firearms does the same damage whoever holds it.

Last edited:

Yes, you are right, just like an enhanced version of Fallout 4. But I really like to have flathead as my companion. :cry:

Yes it's a shame they removed it...
Lots of possibilities could've been used.
Yeah, such a waste. :shrug:
Seriously, is Cyberspace still in the game ? ? I think it is a key feature of the game.
If they remove Cyberspace, the consequence can be really bad.

I've heard a reviewer said, I quote:
"The guns feeling is alright, but doesn't feels satisfying in a way... Like, in a FPS shooting, grabing your shotgun and shooting someone in the face, and he's still standing and fighting... Feels a bit frustrating"

So yeah, I guess there are some RPG-spongy gamey gimmick involved.
But it would also depend on the difficulty. Like if you play on the hardest mode it's probably a one shot kill
Post automatically merged:

When is episode 2 ?

Can not find it anywhere...

Does CDPR knows??
Thinking end of July

That mission was played with advanced weapon (automatic rifle).

When you start the game, your first weapons are super basic (handgun, sawed off shotgun, etc...) And apparently they needs a few shots to be effective

I'd like to point out, also, that the Maelstrom are the first gang you'll fight (as seen in 2018 gameplay, which is the prologue), so they're the less leveled gang in the game supposedly...
We have also seen one shot gun blast dismember and kill opponents multiple times in the gameplay videos.

First I want to say that the team at CD Project Red is doing an amazing job bringing the world of Mike Ponsmith and making it a playable experience. I will definitely be purchasing the game on release.

Everything mention below is subjective. I am aware anything I like somebody else can dislike and vice versa.

General observation of night city wire episode 1. The first thing I notice from the 2 minuets trailer was the music….. It gave off a very different feeling from the rest of the trailers and gameplays from the past I can't tell what atmosphere the world is going to be base on this trailer. The things is if I turn off the sound to the trailer it's no question the game is set in a dark cyberpunk world but when I turn on the sound it gives me a saint row 3 vibes.

Cinematic Gameplay 10 "Subjective"
Video Structure 10 "Subjective"
Sound 9 "Subjective"
Atmosphere 8( OF VIDEO NOT GAME) "Subjective"
General Trailer Rating 8.5 "subjective"

This second part will be a general observation of the extended gameplay of night city wire episode 1. Again first I want to mention that I am aware the game is not finish and duo to this fact some of my point if not all can be renders invalid.

Coming off fresh from playing the last of us 2 where the melee combat for both fist and weapons was extraordinary watching cyberpunks melee combat felt very bland-"subjective" all though I will admit this is a bit unfair. Also CD Project Red is taking a massive undertaking by making a first person hand to hand combat mechanic as I've never seen it anywhere else before-"subjective". Again am talking about first person melee combat not third person.

Small details, something that games in general use a lot is some sort of big icon instructing you where to go, this is a must in an open world game as is not as easy to figure out where you're going when in this sort of environment the problem with this is that it discourages exploration you feel like there is something poking at you telling you go here hurry go here-"subjective". A possible on and off switch using the Kiroshi Optics can solve some of the issues regarding icons.

Braindance is an interesting concept and a clever idea to further develop the world. Gameplay with in braindance is average-"subjective" although I'd be lying if I sed I knew of a way to improve this.

Driving by looks alone and not actually controlling the vehicle myself seem very well done, responsive and fluid. Vehicle design was top notch in my opinion it capture what the developer where trying to achieve. The same can be said about gundesign and gun mechanics.

The world is also something that captures you're attention very quickly I have nothing but good things to say about it. Over all enjoyment of night city episode 1 - 10/10

Last edited:

It's an RPG though, not an FPS. In RPGs, the variety of weapons is extremely important contrary to an FPS where there's only 2 or 3 variant of the same weapon.

If every gun was as lethal as the next one, there would be no point for any of the loot present in the game. Like, why would you go buy or loot shotgun B if shotgun A that you've own since level 2 does the same damage.

Moreover it would be super frustrating to die in 2/3 bullets and since the ennemies would die just as easily, melee weapons or cyberware like mantis blades would be too risky or useless most of the time.

Last edited:
It's an RPG though, not an FPS. In RPGs, the variety of weapons is extremely important contrary to an FPS where there's only 2 or 3 variant of the same weapon.

If every gun was as lethal as the next one, there would be no point for any of the loot present in the game. Like, why would you go buy or loot shotgun B if shotgun A that you've own since level 2 does the same damage.

Moreover it would be super frustrating to die in 2/3 bullets and since the ennemies would die just as easily, melee weapons or cyberware like mantis blades would be too risky or useless most of the time.

Yes, I do wonder how many of those calling for "One Hit Kills" would be quite so keen if it applied to the protagonist. Also, I saw a mention of the Maelstrom Gang, the most Cybered up people in the game (with the possible exception of Adam Smasher). Expecting one shor kills against those guys is patently ridiculous.

confused as to where this crit is coming from since the Budget Arms Blunderbuss, the tech shotgun V finds in the Maelstrom hideout, provides some very satisfying, eviscerating, one hit kills every time she uses it.
and V during the NCW event sliced a gangoons head off with one hit
also, maybe sometimes you wanna go overboard and stab a m*f*er 20 times? or dismember someone's legs and head with two shotgun burts? lemme "V-ent" my frustrations ;)

Yes, I do wonder how many of those calling for "One Hit Kills" would be quite so keen if it applied to the protagonist. Also, I saw a mention of the Maelstrom Gang, the most Cybered up people in the game (with the possible exception of Adam Smasher). Expecting one shor kills against those guys is patently ridiculous.
see comment above. that gang's tech shotgun provided plenty of one hit kills. admittedly most to the face. i think one Maelstrom gangoon had most of the right half of his body blown off, but still very down for the count. one hit kills with a pistol though would require...a very good pistol :]

I also feel like CDPR can't win sometimes. Back when the original 48 minute tease was released, scores of people complained that it seemed too easy to kill opponents. Now people are complaining that its too hard 😃.

TO add some thoughts to this detailed account after watching NCW E1 and two gameplay vids with no commentary:
  1. Lighting looks flat in some areas.
  2. Pop-in is obvious and draw distance is low as hell in Badlands.
  3. FOV is also low, hopefully there is an FOV slider.
  4. Chromatic aberration is ever-present, hopefully there is an in-game on/off toggle. I could get behind the use of chromatic aberration after using some drugs.
  5. If raytracing is used in the game I haven't noticed it at all.
  6. The world as a whole and objects in it (weapons, characters) don't look futuristic at all. When you read Neuromancer you get the sense of all the cool future things. But in the recent videos it pretty much looks like GTA-5 populated by folks with metal in their faces. Weapons, especially the assault rifle with a hideous kid's chamo akin to CS:GO skins is bad, really bad.
  7. Male V sounds and looks extremely generic, female V in 2018 gameplay vid had more charisma to her.
  8. If techie class (along with the spider things gameplay, sigh) was removed then it leaves you with two? Solo and netrunner? So much for multiple charcter classes (well I guess two counts for multipel nowadays).
  9. Music in all three videos was extremely forgettable. Deep Dive had at least one great guitar riff going for it. I assume it was Paul Leonard Morgan's work.
  10. NPC count looks very low. As in Bethesda levels of low.
  11. Suicide squad aesthetic (over-the-top color barrage when your eye fails to focus on any one specific thing) isn't my cup of tea.

The removal of the flathead and general tech playstyle is quite a bugger for me as well, hope they rethink it and add it as a last-minute addition. Alternatively if they think of something cooler than the flathead for a tech/engineer playstyle type of a character, great, however that flathead had a ton of potential and I really digged that :p

Top Bottom