Night City Wire - Media, News & Previews - links and discussion

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a very interesting interview with Paweł Sasko in Polish. I will translate the most important stuff, since some things were already discussed in other interviews.
Just read through all of that - absolutely massive piece of work to just do and give out here for no money at all. Thank you very much! I graduated as a translator, so I double appreciate the effort here!

Wow. If I'm reading this right, it means there isn't really a canon end game? That you can 'miss' the main ending?
I've been pushing for ways to "finish" the game outside the "critical path" for some time, and it seems - depending on what that comment actually refers to - that at least in this regard there's been somewhat likeminded people among CDPR designers.
Sorta reminds me about S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl: sure thing, it was never that branching and the decisions were not as decisive in terms of end game.

Still, it was possible to miss the so-called "true endings", paths to which were also different in both locations and length compared to "false endings". This game was released in 2007 and was an FPS title developed by a team with, well, less experience in RPG development than CDPR has. Again, thanks @Shavod for translating all that and sharing it with, this is definitely one of the most interesting and promising pieces about Cyberpunk 2077 I've learned so far (and I try to learn A LOT), Imma replay the living heck out of this game.

This is indeed very good news.
It depends on how it's done and how satisfying it is.

If it's just: "You're screwed because you didn't liked the NPCs we showed you and didn't follow what we wanted you to do even if there was other realistic ways of getting out of the situation." Then it isn't good news, even more considering how V characterization is limited because of said story.

But if it's done right, then it has potential to be absolutely awesome.

In the end, like many things in the game, it will rely on their ability to makes consequences feel the less arbitrary possible.

"Those subplots allow us to do something that we have never done before, they change the main plot of the game and they are doing that in such a way that you may not even finish the main plot, but still finish the game and get a completely different epilogue then the player with a different Lifepath who made different choices, met different characters and formed relationships with them."

Wow. If I'm reading this right, it means there isn't really a canon end game? That you can 'miss' the main ending?

This reminds me of this old game, Way Of the Samurai, in which you you could finish the story in either 1h, 3, 5 or 12 depending on your choices.

Last edited:
The bit about starting as one lifepath and 'swaying' to another or staying true to it, if that is spot on then I will notably be impressed if each 'combination' is at least somewhat unique and not just differing in but minor details.

It wouldn't just offer bigger replayability factor but more customization in terms of your choices or developments. Of course you can't have every lifepath feel like a different game but if courses of action and the ending can be different notably, I'm already happy. Of course I don't just talk about the game ending as it's often closure (unless an open world kind of continues), but also the possibilities your character has. In that sense, I see each lifepath as a unique little 'world' with other additions, opening up into these small worlds. Whether it is the nomad tribes or lifestyle, the corpo influence and easier connection to influential people (or door openers), or the street kid underworld and connections.

E: Long story short, I look forward to a unique experience per lifepath and then per possible 'sway' to another one, compared to the starting roots.

journalists had an issue with the main plot being too long. Around the battle in Kaer Morhen and right after it there was this feeling that the game now supposed to be close to it's climax and it ended up too stretched out.
fuck those journalists :ROFLMAO: They complained about something good and didn't say anything about immersion-breaking damage sponges? :facepalm:
So in the Cyberpunk's structure we have this wheat, which serves as it's center, the main storyline with subplots around it, which can be triggered in a various ways. Those subplots allow us to do something that we have never done before, they change the main plot of the game and they are doing that in such a way that you may not even finish the main plot, but still finish the game and get a completely different epilogue then the player with a different Lifepath who made different choices, met different characters and formed relationships with them.
Sounds good BUT I've heard this hundreds of times, and it was rarely true. I'll believe it when I'll see it. :shrug:

"Those subplots allow us to do something that we have never done before, they change the main plot of the game and they are doing that in such a way that you may not even finish the main plot, but still finish the game and get a completely different epilogue then the player with a different Lifepath who made different choices, met different characters and formed relationships with them."

Yes, he speaks about it in another polish interview with Polygamia:
How many quests will be in Cyberpunk?

It's really hard to tell. It's a very complex subject, since we are dividing our quests based on type and we have a different levels of them. For example - sidequests alter the main plot of the game...

Really?

By developing relationships with NPC-s, your V forms romances, friendships or conflicts with those characters. That means those can affect what some of them will do in a crucial story moments.

Subplots serve in our game as a "simultaneous plot" - you don't need to develop the main one to finish the game.

This reminds me of this old game, Way Of the Samurai, in which you you could finish the story in either 1h, 3, 5 or 12 depending on your choices.

Yeah, couple years back I even asked the developers to implement similar style of nonlinearity as in Way of The Samurai. While of course it won't be as extensive, because you couldn't really do it without turning the game into a fairly short experience, it's nice to hear that they will implement something similar to that.

The subplot interaction could either be really cool or a big letdown, let's hope for the former. Witcher 3 was a bit of a step back in terms of choice & consequence when compared to Witcher 2 (understandable, as it was CDPR's first stab at an open world), so let's hope they shift their focus back on this aspect in Cyberpunk.

The other exciting thing from this interview is that lifepaths might be a bit more involved than I had assumed. It was something I was disappointed with after the info drop around the NC Wire event, but if they manage to make lifepaths significant enough, I'll be very happy.

This sounds extremely intriguing to me. I've never played any open-world game which truly does this, while it is exactly what I as a player would love to see.

If CP2077 pulls this off, it will quite possibly become the most replayable open-world RPG to date.

So. It's been a month since ep1.
Any guesses when when we can expect continuation?
At the CD Projekt IR Forum the company's representative responded yesterday that we should expect it soon.

I wonder if it will be in August. If so, that means the episode 3 it will be aired in Octomber. One episode every 2 months.
Anyway, I was expecting more activity regarding the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom