Nightclubs

+
so is Afterlife in Mass Effect2/3 a nod to Cyberpunk? I just realized this some days back.

Holy fuckin' shit. I had completely forgotten about the bar in ME2 :S Damn. Yeah they definitely stole it, no doubt. I guess it's not a big deal, it's probably the ME writers paying homage to Cyberpunk. Considering the look of Omega, the general tone, atmosphere and inhabitants, I wouldn't be surprised if it was all based on CP. Still crazy though. Nice find ^^

So, you walk up to the bar, ( in first or third person), hit E to use the seat, sit down and talk to Delilah, the chromed-out bartender. Hot and dangerous. You order your beer/tequila/Hurricane and it arrives.

You pull your camera back, out of first person if you're in it, to third. Back further, so you can see yourself sitting at the bar, elbows up, cradling a drink, relaxing. You look like a trench-clad Solo/sleek Corporate/battered Nomad/Furry/Huge Borg, and you're just here to have a drink between missions.

Then an elbow jostles you in the back as some NPC wearing leather and a stupid ballcap is shoved by his friend. He catches himself and you can a)dialogue, b) attack, c) ignore. You pick C and continue drinking.

Behind you, the friends manage to annoy an off-duty NCPD officer and he puts one in an armlock. While he's talking to the guy, ( you can actually read what they say, despite the music, thanks to your cyberaudio displaying to your Times Square Marquee cybereye option), four lovely women slide up next to the cop and one goes for his wallet. He catches her, things get messy, some bouncers run over...

Meanwhile, still in third person, you sit drinking your beer.

Don't you want to be jostled? By chance? In a bar? With your badass character? And just do nothing and stuff STILL happens?

I know I do.

Now I do too. Small scenarios like that would go a LONG way to helping give the impression of the game's city being full of life.

Attachments

• inappropriateaudience.jpg
    inappropriateaudience.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 34
I will "LOVE!" to see an underground R.H.H. (real hip hop) club! like in the good all day people dancing seeing a D.J. in the stage the classic bar with the street people talking and seeing some NPC'S random fights. and it can even look not so Hig tech building, because it can be situated in the underground alley my representation of it.

I want you to see the vibe is in this video. Not pending on the ridicule people trying to move/dance :p something like that but as you can see in the video, the club looks very nice. No!, the representation of the Underground H.H. club will be the link of the picture I have bellow the video.

http://cdn.brownstoner.com/brownstoner/archives/wtreno-basement-011108.jpg

P.S.Don't get me wrong I know this is a 70's 80's kind of rock and roll world, but H.H. existed as well in those decades.

I posted this in the Rockerboy thread, but I'll post it here too since it totally relates.

I can totally see this as a Cyberpunk HipHop club

This might sound weird, but, the nightclub's music... shouldn't have lyrics. Keep it instrumental. Many times I've encountered music in games with lyrics and found them distracting from - or worse, overpowering - the in-game dialogue. Plus, it makes it easier to attune the song to the setting without existing lyrics "predefining" the meaning of the tune.

Not to mention, if I recall correctly, getting licenses on instrumentals is cheaper than getting it for songs with words in them.

I recall correctly, getting licenses on instrumentals is cheaper than getting it for songs with words in them.
No idea how much more complex it is to license music with lyrics than without, though I wonder if the devs will use Creative Commons works / commision artists for original work?

No, it doesn't sound weird. The quickest way to date music is to include lyrics.

Especially if it's a game set in the future. Kinda hard to hold to the immersion of the game being in, say, the year 2037, if you enter a "modern" club and the stuff pumping out of the speakers was a Billboard chart-topper from 1987. Why would they play songs decades old?

Especially if it's a game set in the future. Kinda hard to hold to the immersion of the game being in, say, the year 2037, if you enter a "modern" club and the stuff pumping out of the speakers was a Billboard chart-topper from 1987. Why would they play songs decades old?

We still listen to music from the early and mid 1900's... Not in a club setting, I guess. Who knows though. Cyberpunk 2020 was set in the 2020's and it still had an 80's vibe. Retro is a thing.

Seriously? A discussion including turntables and you're asking why they'd use decades-old music? REt-ro.

Yngh

Forum veteran
I like rock music and many of my favourite bands/songs are from the 60s, 70s or 80s...

Top Bottom