Nilfgaard change suggestions

+
What I find refreshing about NG, both in playing it AND in playing against it is that it tends to require far more adaptation to circumstance than any other faction. Perhaps it can be successfully played in a mindless way, but that is true of any faction.

I, for one, am very tired of arguments that any faction is “brain dead” or “easy”. Almost always, these arguments fail to recognize the intricacies of the faction.

I will admit, that once learned, many decks do follow very similar patterns of play that don’t require a lot of innovation except in rare circumstances. Unfortunately, that is also true of almost all decks from all factions. At least control — abundant in NG — forces reaction to an opponent’s play.

Nilfgaard will always be a good option.
At some point, when a meta settles, you have a few choices in ranked mode :
- Play the meta decks or variations and win
- Play some other decks (homebrew, anti-meta, meme or non optimal) and lose a lot
- Play Nilfgaard, that is 50/50, with very polarized games

For new players, it's a good option when you don't have all the super strong cards, or the decks of the moment. For the old players, I guess it's reliable. Or maybe, you also like to troll your opponent ?

What I find refreshing about NG, both in playing it AND in playing against it is that it tends to require far more adaptation to circumstance than any other faction. Perhaps it can be successfully played in a mindless way, but that is true of any faction.

I, for one, am very tired of arguments that any faction is “brain dead” or “easy”. Almost always, these arguments fail to recognize the intricacies of the faction.

I will admit, that once learned, many decks do follow very similar patterns of play that don’t require a lot of innovation except in rare circumstances. Unfortunately, that is also true of almost all decks from all factions. At least control — abundant in NG — forces reaction to an opponent’s play.
Yeah, and I get tired of reading platitudinal arguments about how NG requires "far more adaptation that any other faction," how NG's "bronzes are weak," how it's a "control faction," etc.

Explain to me how mill and clog require "adaptation"? Because to me it looks like you pack your deck with mill and clog cards and you spam those, regardless of what you're facing. Then, if you're lucky to mill good cards AND win round 1, you just win, because your opponent is out of cards and there's nothing they can do to counter you, and if you aren't lucky, you get 2-0d. That's it. What "intricacies" are there?

Clog - same but backwards. If your opponent is lucky to still draw cards to answer your Kolgrim despite all the garbage you filled their deck with, you lose. Otherwise, you win. Where's the chess match?

How does Hyperthin, which is so consistent it's literally impossible not to arrive at the same damn golem unless you're deliberately throwing a match, require "far more adaptation"?

Assimilate used to be semi-challenging and on par with Harmony and Thrive, but then the devs gave it a ton of new support, while the other two were left alone, so now assimilate cards are in every NG deck, regardless of what it is. Yen Invo is in every deck. Blightmaker is in every deck. Braathens in every deck.

Where are these "refreshing," original NG decks? Personally, I find MAYBE 1 out of 25 matches against NG "enjoyable", let alone refreshing. I honestly wish Gwent had a faction or at least a leader ban button, just so all of the NG players ended up playing nothing but mirrors :D

Yeah, and I get tired of reading platitudinal arguments about how NG requires "far more adaptation that any other faction," how NG's "bronzes are weak," how it's a "control faction," etc.

Explain to me how mill and clog require "adaptation"? Because to me it looks like you pack your deck with mill and clog cards and you spam those, regardless of what you're facing. Then, if you're lucky to mill good cards AND win round 1, you just win, because your opponent is out of cards and there's nothing they can do to counter you, and if you aren't lucky, you get 2-0d. That's it. What "intricacies" are there?

Clog - same but backwards. If your opponent is lucky to still draw cards to answer your Kolgrim despite all the garbage you filled their deck with, you lose. Otherwise, you win. Where's the chess match?

How does Hyperthin, which is so consistent it's literally impossible not to arrive at the same damn golem unless you're deliberately throwing a match, require "far more adaptation"?

Assimilate used to be semi-challenging and on par with Harmony and Thrive, but then the devs gave it a ton of new support, while the other two were left alone, so now assimilate cards are in every NG deck, regardless of what it is. Yen Invo is in every deck. Blightmaker is in every deck. Braathens in every deck.

Where are these "refreshing," original NG decks? Personally, I find MAYBE 1 out of 25 matches against NG "enjoyable", let alone refreshing. I honestly wish Gwent had a faction or at least a leader ban button, just so all of the NG players ended up playing nothing but mirrors :D
There are two options at your disposal if you really wish to understand: Number one, you could come to the conclusion that there may be some truth in the claims about this faction you're getting tired of hearing because apparently a lot of people who play NG regularly confirm them. Or number two, actually play the decks and see for yourself (have you already done that?). However, I wouldn't compare Gwent to chess, so in this point I agree with you. Winning in Gwent is also a lot about the match-up.

There are two options at your disposal if you really wish to understand: Number one, you could come to the conclusion that there may be some truth in the claims about this faction you're getting tired of hearing because apparently a lot of people who play NG regularly confirm them. Or number two, actually play the decks and see for yourself (have you already done that?). However, I wouldn't compare Gwent to chess, so in this point I agree with you. Winning in Gwent is also a lot about the match-up.
Oh yeah, "Play NG to understand NG" is another one of those generic arguments that one hears a lot. But you know what? No, I'm not going to subject myself to making and playing a mill deck just so I could "understand" it, lmao. I feel like I'd have to take a long shower after that and it's just not worth it. OR - jokes aside - needed. I can see ALL the cards you play. Mulligans work the same for everybody. I FACE these decks more than I face any other decks. Deck lists are public. Streams and videos are widely available. So no. I don't HAVE to play NG to understand how it works. And my opinions about it do not automatically become invalidated just because I refuse to play the faction.

Oh yeah, "Play NG to understand NG" is another one of those generic arguments that one hears a lot. But you know what? No, I'm not going to subject myself to making and playing a mill deck just so I could "understand" it, lmao. I feel like I'd have to take a long shower after that and it's just not worth it. OR - jokes aside - needed. I can see ALL the cards you play. Mulligans work the same for everybody. I FACE these decks more than I face any other decks. Deck lists are public. Streams and videos are widely available. So no. I don't HAVE to play NG to understand how it works. And my opinions about it do not automatically become invalidated just because I refuse to play the faction.
Okay, then no one here will be able to help you. It's absolutely crucial to play other factions to find out their weaknesses, and you are severely underestimating this. But if you don't even want to invest an hour or so to reflect on your opinion then so be it.

Okay, then no one here will be able to help you. It's absolutely crucial to play other factions to find out their weaknesses, and you are severely underestimating this. But if you don't even want to invest an hour or so to reflect on your opinion then so be it.
I don't need - nor was I at any point asking for - anybody's "help". Not sure where you got that impression. I'm just expressing my opinion on NG and responses to the replies OP received. And since I already disagreed in my previous comment with how "it's absolutely crucial to play" and so on, I agree that there's not much left for us to debate here.

I don't need - nor was I at any point asking for - anybody's "help". Not sure where you got that impression. I'm just expressing my opinion on NG and responses to the replies OP received. And since I already disagreed in my previous comment with how "it's absolutely crucial to play" and so on, I agree that there's not much left for us to debate here.
You wanted the previous poster to explain "how mill and clog require adaptation" and I wanted to help you to understand. Sorry for getting it wrong I guess.

You wanted the previous poster to explain "how mill and clog require adaptation" and I wanted to help you to understand. Sorry for getting it wrong I guess.
Well, aside from the fact that it was really a rhetorical "explain to me" kind of request, since I didn't expect them to actually explain it to me (because it really DOESN'T require anything of the sort), you telling me to "either trust them when they say it or go play it yourself" was not exactly helpful, either, if you were actually trying to "help." Do you see why? I asked for explanation and your options for me are "either take my word for it or go play it yourself and then you shall understand." What is this, the Matrix? "Unfortunately, no one can be told how mill is cerebral. You have to see it for yourself." :D

If you want to continue that argument, please take it to PMs. It contributes absolutely nothing to this thread and isn't even on topic.

I wanted to attempt to answer this question, although I might not persuade you. I am sorry to be so slow with an answer, but I've had a busy week. And I agree, it doesn't fit this thread so I have moved my response here.

I agree with a lot of this the other cards missing are canterella and all those cards that banish your card before you play it feels bad man.the alchemist canterella these cards are toxic and ruining thr game everbody that plays NG feels bad during or after the game.

I'm asking myself if you have tried to play NG, because it's when you do it that you understand most of this cards aren't so shiny as they seem.
  • Yennefer's invocation: very good card in a lot of situations because of it's versatility BUT, for example, imagine your opponent is winning you because his Sea Jackal has a huge amount of points; yes, with YI you stole that card, but now you have a useless brick in your deck. This example can be extrapolated in similar cases. But, yes, maybe it could be +1 prov.
  • Cahir: I agree with you not liking this card, but not because he's overpowered but because his design. You can beat him with Curse of Corruption and, more important, not all the decks relies on boost (some of SK, SY or MO), and in this situations his a heavy brick.
  • Vincent van Moorlehem: that's the card who made me ask the begining question. There's not always a card with status; even playing NG. What happens in a short 3rd round? What will you do with a 3 body card who cost 10p? Is it useful? Yes, of course! But there are several situations where you'll wish he wasn't in your hand.
  • Vilgeforz: same as Vincent, a useful card that can gives you 5 points. How any times I've destroyed a Covenant of Steel to watch a Bear Witcher appear? Or a Griffyn? Or... etc. And, once again, yes, sometimes a Gold card appears, but you cannot count possiblities as certainties.
  • Leo Bonhart: really? I suppose you also hate Geralt of Rivia... when there are similiar cards on neutral and factions, last are, usually, slightly better.
  • Vanhemar: he has a very specific condition whoy can be very easily avoid. Raise your hands NG players who dead because you had this card in hand and no target to destroy.
All that cards are good and useful, but they aren't almighty as you can discover once you have played enough games with NG.
I play with the north, i also play with monster and scoia'tel, and yes i played with nilfgaard, and i have all of those card i play assimilation deck i found it funny to use ennemi card but i found it to easy to win
Try to play with others faction instead of alway NG you will underststend how cheated are those card
Van morlem can destroy any card because you can add a statut to any card you want
I'm asking myself if you have tried to play NG, because it's when you do it that you understand most of this cards aren't so shiny as they seem.
  • Yennefer's invocation: very good card in a lot of situations because of it's versatility BUT, for example, imagine your opponent is winning you because his Sea Jackal has a huge amount of points; yes, with YI you stole that card, but now you have a useless brick in your deck. This example can be extrapolated in similar cases. But, yes, maybe it could be +1 prov.
  • Cahir: I agree with you not liking this card, but not because he's overpowered but because his design. You can beat him with Curse of Corruption and, more important, not all the decks relies on boost (some of SK, SY or MO), and in this situations his a heavy brick.
  • Vincent van Moorlehem: that's the card who made me ask the begining question. There's not always a card with status; even playing NG. What happens in a short 3rd round? What will you do with a 3 body card who cost 10p? Is it useful? Yes, of course! But there are several situations where you'll wish he wasn't in your hand.
  • Vilgeforz: same as Vincent, a useful card that can gives you 5 points. How any times I've destroyed a Covenant of Steel to watch a Bear Witcher appear? Or a Griffyn? Or... etc. And, once again, yes, sometimes a Gold card appears, but you
  • I'm asking myself if you have tried to play NG, because it's when you do it that you understand most of this cards aren't so shiny as they seem.
    • Vilgeforz: same as Vincent, a useful card that can gives you 5 points. How any times I've destroyed a Covenant of Steel to watch a Bear Witcher appear? Or a Griffyn? Or... etc. And, once again, yes, sometimes a Gold card appears, but you cannot count possiblities as certainties.
    • Leo Bonhart: really? I suppose you also hate Geralt of Rivia... when there are similiar cards on neutral and factions, last are, usually, slightly better.
    • Vanhemar: he has a very specific condition whoy can be very easily avoid. Raise your hands NG players who dead because you had this card in hand and no target to destroy.
    All that cards are good and useful, but they aren't almighty as you can discover once you have played enough games with NG.
    Yennefer's invocation is good, yes when you play NG, but dont you find too easy to just take the ennemi card ?
Try to play other faction instead of NG you will underststend
And yes i played NG
I won almost all the game with it that why i'm posting this
I prefer playing with the north or scoia'tel and the monster
Chair can easily be countred ? Yes you can lock it when you play with NG but not every one play NG so if dont have a specific card in the good time it dead for you, and if chair is in a line with a defender card it dead too so yes this card is too cheated, and it cost only 9 power wtf
Van morlem can destroy any card because you can add a statut to any card you want, i think you dont underststend what i'm talking about i know it useful when you play but it too useful, just play other faction to realise it
Vanhema can easily be avoid wtf please with nilfgaard you can lock any card at any moment, you lock a card with 10 strength or more and yey you won, it too easy, it okay to destroy a locked unit but this card should cost more, bro it cost only 6
The principal problem as i said it that those cards can be all played in the same deck because they are too cheap
Leo Bonhart: i said this one is okay but with all the others in the same deck it so frustrating, and yes now you maybe will underststend i not sure because i dont play the card but i bet this card is cheaper than geralt de riv or have more strength, or they should cost exactly the same because they do the same

i dont play the card but i bet this card is cheaper than geralt de riv or have more strength
You are wrong. Leo costs the same as vanilla Geralt and has the same power. 3 for 10.

they should cost exactly the same because they do the same
This is also wrong; Neutrals are supposed to be weaker than their faction equivalents. That has always been the devs' vision.
Besides, Leo and Geralt do not do the exact same thing; Leo has a separate Ranged ability while Geralt's ability is not row-locked.

If you are going to complain about cards please at least make sure to get the facts right.

Cahir doesn't need to be locked; he only works on Melee, so you can move him to disable him. You can also kill or reset him. Not OP, just annoying.

VIncent can only destroy one card, and since he's a 3 for 10 he needs to kill a 7 to even be worth his cost. Not as trivial as you make it out to be, especially when Purify exists.
He's a good card, certainly, but not OP. If he was as OP as you claim he'd have been nerfed back when he was being complained about non-stop.

Vanhemar requires a specific status on an enemy unit plus is row-locked; there is a reason he isn't run all that much despite costing 6p. He certainly isn't OP.

I agree with a lot of this the other cards missing are canterella and all those cards that banish your card before you play it feels bad man.the alchemist canterella these cards are toxic and ruining thr game everbody that plays NG feels bad during or after the game.
No cantarella cost 7, and if he want to have to have a good card he need to play a card before, and that card may be not useful in his deck, as like he can play one of ur bronze card so it depend of ur his luck
Not the other cards are
Only thing I really agree with is Cahir because of his design. You will find out that the rest isn't as great as you might think through playing them yourself. Or have you already done that?
The other are not that problematic frustrating yes but are not that strength i just think that it too easy. but cahir and yennefer's invocation must be adapted
Cahir payed next a defender card and your opponent has no chance to won and as i said your can easely have the ennemi defender card many way in NG allow you that
And yennefer's invocation, compared to the banish card or artefacts it cost 10, yennefer cost 9 and it allow you to play that card next turn, if that it not a prof that this card is cheated i dont know what to say more

No cantarella cost 7, and if he want to have to have a good card he need to play a card before, and that card may be not useful in his deck, as like he can play one of ur bronze card so it depend of ur his luck
Not the other cards are

The other are not that problematic frustrating yes but are not that strength i just think that it too easy. but cahir and yennefer's invocation must be adapted
Cahir payed next a defender card and your opponent has no chance to won and as i said your can easely have the ennemi defender card many way in NG allow you that
And yennefer's invocation, compared to the banish card or artefacts it cost 10, yennefer cost 9 and it allow you to play that card next turn, if that it not a prof that this card is cheated i dont know what to say more
The thing with Yen is that she can't target any artifacts AND you have to find a card you actually want to play, otherwise you basically have one less mulligan and a potentially bad card in your deck. She could cost 10 provisions if the player using this card had the opportunity to choose whether to banish this card or put it on top of his deck. Because believe me, unless you aren't in a NG mirror you don't want to play the card you targeted all that often. Cahir should really get another ability, he can indeed be an absolute cheat. Cantarella and Kingslayer to a smaller degree, but these can also be an incredible pain in the rear...

Nilfgaard sucks because 80% of their decks are luck based. Bribery gets you a 12 prov card? Wow, cool! I just milled his 12 prov card afterwards too? Neato!

Lame faction that is uninteractive for both players. Either they get lucky or they lose. I really wish NG wasn't designed like this, it's extremely unfun.

Nilfgaard has not had an OP Top of the Meta deck since before Mystic Echo was OP. If anything the only card they should change for the better is Atorious Vigo. Guy is an 8 point provision card that can drop for 4 points and is luck based in the majority of decks.

Artorious Vigo - Pick a play a bronze card from your starter deck. If chosen card is a unit set its power to 1.

for 8 points the guy should literally play any card, not a random hodgepodge of 3 choices.
I dont agree, artorious vigo, is pretty like the gold mage from the wild hunt i don't remember his name but it cost 9 and it create any card from your hand and fix his strength to 1 too, but he dont allow to play the card like artorious do and more than that artorious got assimilation ability while the wild hunt no,
Other card that is pretty like artorious is queen adalia her strength is 3 and it cost 10, it allow you to create any bronze card from your hand and give it a shield and allow you to play it, she dont have any other ability, other thing is that vigo can create a the spy card that allow you to make a copy of an ennemi bronze card, the spy card have already her strength at 1, i dont know how you use it but in my assimilation deck i have 5 bronze unit so i'm pretty sure i'll got the spy card in the 3 proposition, then i play it make a copy of an ennemi card and uprade all my assimilation units by two
See vigo is a really good card, much more than queen adalia, and it cost only 8 it based on luck yes, but if you have a deck with few bronze unit you can have it everytime, btw 5 bronze is maybe too much but i like having many unit cards, see now nilfgaard always have the greater cards and that what i found not fair, the second thing is when i prepare a new deck while i'm choosing my cards, i feel like almost all the neutral cards are made for nilfgaard, juste the gold special card that are tactical card i think there are more neutral tactic card than nilfgaard tactic card, some of the card can fit with monster fanction too but really few,
If you play the north relaim you need to use almost only the north card because even the leader ability can be used only on the north units, there is only one neutral special card that is a war card and it sucks, i think the devlopper are aware of that so they created the new mages card for the north that are really abused i think,
to try to make a balance, the probleme is that i just stopped playing the war machine deck and the copy deck of the north and created the mage deck

there are counters to most of the best ng cards. guerilla tactics leader ability renders most useless since they're row dependent. on the other hand ng is pretty obviously op in nearly every seasonal mode

there are counters to most of the best ng cards. guerilla tactics leader ability renders most useless since they're row dependent. on the other hand ng is pretty obviously op in nearly every seasonal mode
I don't agree, see i play all the factions
And NG are really advantaged, in the leader ability, in building a deck in everythink, just see the imposter ability lock any unit you want make a copy of it and boost it by 1 for every unit who have a attribut in that line, how are u supposed to do ?
I like playing with the NR i have 3 deck for that faction while i have 6 or more for NG juste because it easier to build a deck for NG
Try to play other faction to see that

Top Bottom