Nilfgaard Deck tips?

+
Hello Everybody! I´m playing gwent now since 2 weeks and i picked Nilfgaard as my first faction. I had always a 50/50 winrate and i was happy with it, but now i reached lvl 30 and i loose most of the games:( and i feel like its not only me but also my deck. Any tips for my deck? My deck:

Excuse my English;)

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
@LooseController With the visible deck its much easier to help you, since NG has some weird names, even after thousands of hours of Gwent i still confuse some, but seeing their image i immediately know what they are.

The first thing i would do is remove the viper witchers. Specially since you're not running a mill deck or other cards that let you see your opponents deck and make the card the viper witcher banishes more reliable, you can even be helping your opponent, banishing his crappy cards with RNG.

I dont know how effective poison is for beginners. You always need a pair to poison something, but if your opponent purifies it, you are screwed if you only have one more. (Nevermind, i didnt see you got rot tossers that can poison 2 at the same time)

Vattier is a good card but incredibly risky. There are 2 ways of making it less risky: use a defender on his row to protect him, or use a zeal potion earlier so you can instantly use his ability when you put him.

Assire is usually used with Roach or other very expensive cards. How are you using her? You can also use her against your opponent but i doubt your facing lots of scenarios+caretaker.

Auckes and Serrit are a great combo, even better if you can put Letho.

You have 6 lockes on your deck. Even i that love NG locks think that might be a bit too much. But i definitely recommend using Vanhemar - a 6provision unit that can destroy any locked unit on deploy, should be great when you have so many locks.

Vilgefortz is a risky card, you can use it to destroy a strong opponent, but you might get screwed even more and summon an even stronger opponent. Or if you're using it on your own units, depends on how much value he's giving you.

Stefan is good but you dont have great tactics cards, maybe a double assassinate or treason right? Bribery would be good.

Joachim de Wett puts a very high unit on your side. Starter decks usually have Geralt right? If you are finding the unit you pull with Joachim is getting killed by Geralts a lot, replace him.

@DRK3, Thank you very Much! For your tips and for the time you Invested writing your reply. You helped me a lot and gave me an other Angle of view on my Deck. Answering your Question: I´ve got Assire from a keg and i wanted to try her out, i had not really an idea how to play with her :)

DRK3

Forum veteran
@DRK3, Thank you very Much! For your tips and for the time you Invested writing your reply. You helped me a lot and gave me an other Angle of view on my Deck. Answering your Question: I´ve got Assire from a keg and i wanted to try her out, i had not really an idea how to play with her :)

No problem. If you have roach, he's expensive but makes a nice combo with Assire - he's summoned from deck the 1st time you put a gold on the board, then on a different round when roach is on the graveyard, play assire on Roach and he comes immediately for a 6+3 play.

If you want to keep playing a lock deck, your priority should be getting Vanhemar (he's epic so 200 scrap). And replace those viper witchers with some other bronzes that give more than 4 pts.

I would 100% second Vanhemar for a lock deck because he can kill anything you lock.

He can get huge value if you manage to lock a big unit, and he can also be strategically comboed with a lock to get rid of a problematic unit. He does brick sometimes, but despite that I'd never remove him from my deck (that relies heavily on locks).

Edit: Well, by "anything" I mean "any single unit". Just to clarify a bit.

DRK3

Forum veteran
@LooseController Yes, that version is definitely outdated.

Vanhemar is a 3pt 6 provisions gold card that lets you destroy any enemy locked unit on deploy. That means that even if you use it to destroy a 3pt enemy its provision cost is worth it.

And you can use it to destroy much bigger units like Monsters Yghern or SY Savolla's Frightener, providing tremendous value (less than a Vattier seize, but less risky)

Hello Everybody! I´m playing gwent now since 2 weeks and i picked Nilfgaard as my first faction. I had always a 50/50 winrate and i was happy with it, but now i reached lvl 30 and i loose most of the games:( and i feel like its not only me but also my deck. Any tips for my deck? My deck:

Excuse my English;)

I think you need to have a more overall concept and optimize some cards (witchers but no Letho?). There is alot of lost value in there and high risk high provision cards. Perhaps play it a bit more safe for now and get better value out of each card?

Some of those cards are also not very good, like your 7p lock. You can almost switch that with Letho.

To be honest, I don't like what you are trying to do with that deck with the leader ability you have. The problem with Usurper decks is getting enough tempo in the deck, you'll need that.

High provision Nilfgaard order cards.. Eh, well. Not my thing unless I can almost guarantee to get value from them.
Post automatically merged:

I would 100% second Vanhemar for a lock deck because he can kill anything you lock.

He can get huge value if you manage to lock a big unit, and he can also be strategically comboed with a lock to get rid of a problematic unit. He does brick sometimes, but despite that I'd never remove him from my deck (that relies heavily on locks).

Edit: Well, by "anything" I mean "any single unit". Just to clarify a bit.

I've tried Vanhemar in my Usurper decks, but it's just no good. It's a two part move with slow tempo just to take out a unit, and almost never give great value in a low provision deck like Usurper. I've tried to include him in various ways in all my Usurper decks (one of my favourite decks), but it just doesn't work very well in practice.

I've anyways always ended up replacing him with Leo or some other card(s).

No problem. If you have roach, he's expensive but makes a nice combo with Assire - he's summoned from deck the 1st time you put a gold on the board, then on a different round when roach is on the graveyard, play assire on Roach and he comes immediately for a 6+3 play.

If you want to keep playing a lock deck, your priority should be getting Vanhemar (he's epic so 200 scrap). And replace those viper witchers with some other bronzes that give more than 4 pts.

I don't know what kind of Usurper deck you run, but in any oppressive Usurper deck, Viper Witchers should be there, despite their poor tempo.

Thank you all for your tips! I´ve won the last 4 games of 6. Your replies gave me also some Inspiration for future Deckbuilding.

My new Deck: https://www.playgwent.com/de/decks/d5a55cfb39da4990051a428b38a573fe

Thank of you, i´m not such a Great noob Anymore(y)

Look at your deck. The only promising thing you have in there is a poison concept. I don't use poison, haven't really tried it, but why don't you at least build your deck around it?

The lowest provision deck, and you've added two of the highest risk Nilfgaard gold cards, for what? What do you expect to get from Skellen exactly? I don't see any special cards in your deck that justifies having him in your deck.

I don't agree with others that you should have Vanhemar in your deck, but at least it's not wrong. But both Vattier and Vanhemar seems like it could brick very easily, slow down your play and inhibit the rest of your deck. If you want to keep Vanhemar, get rid of Vattier.

Palmerin and Milton are just plain bad cards, I've never used them in any Nilfgaard deck and I've never been tempted to use them. You should probably get rid of them and at least add Letho to get full value from Auckes and Serrit. If you do, you can also probably drop that poor value 7p lock card as well.

To be honest, I like your (new) bronze card selection. It seems pretty good.

In regards to Vilgefortz I hope you know what you are doing, if not, perhaps replace it with something like Yennefers Invocation.

Sorry to sound so negative, but I've played alot of Usurper decks, and I got a bit upset when I saw some of your "wasteful" selections. I'm just trying to help.

Last edited:
I've had different experiences. He does get huge value when played right, even if it means locking a large unit that doesn't have an ability to lock.

Well, perhaps it works, I can't say that it's wrong to add him in a Usurper deck, I just haven't been able to make it work very well. I also don't like two card "moves" unless they give me some huge payoff, and the one with Vanhemar is too slow for my liking.

One of the worst things I've struggled with in most Usurper deck is pacing all rounds correctly, adding tempo at just the right time, and in my experience Venhemar makes it more problematic.

It does helpt that Alba lock now puts 4 points on the table rather than 3, and that Venhemar puts 3 instead of 2. I guess this could have changed things a bit. At least it does not feel like such a bad tempo tradeoff to play Alba locks anymore.

I've had different experiences. He does get huge value when played right, even if it means locking a large unit that doesn't have an ability to lock.

Actually, I have to revise this. With more and cheaper locks, it's seems to be worth it to have Vanhemar in a lockdown deck.

Top Bottom