Nilfgaard - Relentlessly Boring

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick math about DJ. You have 9 coins limit and, say, 11 charges by third round (which is on average very much achievable). That is in total 20 coins, or 20 points of damage in just one turn + the 4-point body of Ewald. Now, if we add bounties to this mixture, the situation gets even scarier, because bounties are basically additional damage for free. You spend coins to get more coins to deal more damage - the broken loop.

Example: assuming DJ saved all his charges to R3 and placed a single bounty on a 6-point unit, results in a 30-point finisher. That's just... I don't know.
Don't forget the engine/combo value you are denying the enemy by dealing that much damage in 1 turn. I believe this 1card/coin combo is worth on average more than 45 points. And it doesn't need to be a finisher, you can pull it anytime you see the enemy is building up something.
For 1 card.
For 8 provision.

Nilfgaard, ruling as the fun police. Thats... unfortunate.
It's interesting where they'll take it during the rework, cause NG used to be the most fleshed out one :(, and now they can't quite get there, not even close.

Nilfgaard, ruling as the fun police. Thats... unfortunate.
It's interesting where they'll take it during the rework, cause NG used to be the most fleshed out one :(, and now they can't quite get there, not even close.

NG already had their rework just before Syndicate was released. They deleted reveal as an archetype and made soldiers instead, and they tried to make spies relevant (and failed). If we do get another NG rework it wont be for a long time. We are kind of stuck with these boring cards for awhile.

Now there is only this £^%$^"£ of hyperthin - Aephat is about 50% of deck in the ladder. I wish I could understand the lemmings that play this kind of boring stuff that kill all the fun of the ladder.

Now there is only this £^%$^"£ of hyperthin - Aephat is about 50% of deck in the ladder. I wish I could understand the lemmings that play this kind of boring stuff that kill all the fun of the ladder.

I built the deck without referring online, but just from what I've seen. There's so little joy in it, I don't know why anyone does it. It's just thin stuff until you've got Golem or Tibor left. I actually like some of the cards, such as Xarth and Yen, but it's effectively just a 'hack' - the devs didn't MEAN for you to be able to use these cards to add 22 - 39 points to the board in the final three turns. Solution's pretty simple; don't have super strength cards. Tibor "stronger" than Old Speartip doesn't make a lick of sense anyway, drop him down to 7 (provs 6), Imperial Golem to 8 (provs 6), and it's more or less ok.

In terms of actual thinning, I think it's reasonable to do some. I'm not sure you should be able to play a tutor (marching) into a tutor (Menno); Marching should probably just play lowest bronze. Again, easy fixes, they will happen and we'll all be moaning about how OP Eredin is in October.

I built the deck without referring online, but just from what I've seen. There's so little joy in it, I don't know why anyone does it. It's just thin stuff until you've got Golem or Tibor left. I actually like some of the cards, such as Xarth and Yen, but it's effectively just a 'hack' - the devs didn't MEAN for you to be able to use these cards to add 22 - 39 points to the board in the final three turns. Solution's pretty simple; don't have super strength cards. Tibor "stronger" than Old Speartip doesn't make a lick of sense anyway, drop him down to 7 (provs 6), Imperial Golem to 8 (provs 6), and it's more or less ok.

In terms of actual thinning, I think it's reasonable to do some. I'm not sure you should be able to play a tutor (marching) into a tutor (Menno); Marching should probably just play lowest bronze. Again, easy fixes, they will happen and we'll all be moaning about how OP Eredin is in October.
True, Eredin is quite underestimated at the moment, the issue there is the current lack of viable purify options, if they introduce a few more it will be fine but currently his monsters deck is quite strong in both short/long rounds.
Hyperthin/Fran cards spam are just more broken at the moment :)

True, Eredin is quite underestimated at the moment, the issue there is the current lack of viable purify options, if they introduce a few more it will be fine but currently his monsters deck is quite strong in both short/long rounds.
Hyperthin/Fran cards spam are just more broken at the moment :)

Most of the game is pretty good and ok. The fact it's different each month is good, even if the second half of any month is dull! It could be worse, we could still be talking about Foltest/Draug, Woodland/BigMonster, etc. Meta's are annoying but at least they change. The main concerns are the lack of variation (too many crap bronzes, should have silvers to add variance), lack of players. The game needs to keep adding leaders and factions, probably needs almost twice as many, as it's the leader the almost defines the deck. Perhaps this is the problem with NG; the deck's always the same, it's not dependent on leader. SK, NR, MO and ST are much better done, because there's different synergies with different leaders.

I don't think I've ever complained about the 'general state of the game' and Nilfgaard, with their original mechanics have always been one of my favorite factions but I have to admit that right now, it's just extremely annoying and indeed boring...
2/3 games I've played this month are against NG, Usurper or Ardal, sometimes Calveit or Emyr. The hyper-thin decks are annoying but beatable. The others are beatable but just frustrating. Out of 25 cards, it's always the witcher trio for locks and damage, 2-5 additional locks, the tactics for direct removal (4-6 damage) and the ultra annoying yennefer invocation/cantarella/muzzle/sweers combo. Usurper kills a leader, for most you can play around, for some rare it just kills the deck (AQ is just unplayable). Ardal is one more seize for a total of 5/25 cards. 20% of your deck. Not counting Isbel or Vattier, rarely played, not counting the viper witchers or Trahaern to further mess your deck, not counting Damien or Skellen to replay one or Hein Gaidth to replay cantarella, Vilgeforz and Tibor to summon a random card... With the current consistency of NG decks, you can deny the opponent half his deck and just destroy the other half...
I was kind of happy to see damage balanced so that the game would not be just 'play a card -> opponent destroy a card' anymore but with NG right now it's that or worse: just steal a card. Don't need strategy, you can't counter (unlike locks or eventually damage...).
Tactics were bad. Now they're almost too strong. Tourney joust is just crazy for 4p (better than the bombs and other specials) and it synergizes with scorpions.
Yennefer invocation is just ludicrous. The previous ability was fine, although it was a bit too expensive maybe. Now it is like a heatwave but you also get the card for next rounds :facepalm:
Cantarella has always been frustrating but it used to brick a lot. Now with the spy that lets you look and reorder oponent's cards, it doesn't and steals one more card...

I just don't get it. NG had so much potential. Where are the spies and other mechanics?

The main problem at the moment is NG (yet again). Whether it's the (frankly ridiculous) Usurper spoiling tactic, Ardal or a horrendous deck I faced that thinned my deck down to 1 card for R3, it's a broken faction. Or perhaps the faction itself isn't the problem, more the way you can play against it.

Simplest solution is take a load of the crappy, unused bronze cards and make spies and assimilate much more pronounced.

Critically, there needs to be more dual purpose cards with the ability to unlock (currently there's ONE!!) or purify to stop the deck spoiling the fun.

Isn't it about time they did another re-work for Nilfgaard? The last NG rework was over a year ago when they deleted reveal and added terrible spy cards like Mangonel that nobody uses.

I expected CDPR to actually come back and fix the faction, but they just ignored all archetypes, except poison of course! The faction has fallen the hardest since Beta days when there was actual variety.

Not going to properly resurrect this to have yet another Nilfgaard hate thread. Use the current ones instead. This one's getting locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom