Nilfgaard Update is live!

+

New update for GWENT: The Witcher Card Game is now available for PC, PS4 and Xbox One! With this update, we’ve focused on fleshing out Nilfgaard’s faction identity – several cards were reworked to provide better support to the Empire’s existing arsenal of archetypes and strategies. We also introduced the Drag’n’Drop feature to the game (allowing players to drag and drop cards onto the battlefield), and added various UI improvements, bug fixes, and balance tweaks.

Full list of changes:

• Special cards no longer require the unnecessary step of clicking the board between being selected in hand and being played.
  • Broadened row boundaries to eliminate unselectable space between rows.
  • The redraw phase screen will remain visible for half a second after the final redraw choice has been made.
  • Cards that target the entire board will now highlight the entire board rather than in distinct halves.
  • Rework of 12 Nilfgaard Base Set cards which will have full mill value for 3 days:
  • Fringilla Vigo,
  • Hefty Helge,
  • Rainfarn of Attre,
  • Deithwen Arbalest,
  • Mangonel,
  • Standard Bearer,
  • Daerlan Soldier,
  • Recruit,
  • Ointment,
  • Venendal Elite,
  • Alba Pikeman,
  • Sweers.

New Features
  • Drag & Drop support with dithered transparency for card "ghosting" effect.
  • Improved visuals for targeting arrows.
  • Targeting arrows hovering over invalid targets will now appear as red.
  • Improved visuals to show selected rows.
  • Rows now highlight differently if a card has an ability restricted to either the melee or ranged row.
  • Hand highlight VFX now disappear after playing a card from hand, then reappear at the start of the next turn. Hand highlight VFX also disappear when targeting.
  • Hand highlight VFX now adjust according to hand size.
  • Leader trees for Crimson Curse leaders have been added to the Reward Book.
  • Leader skin recolors have been added for Crimson Curse leaders.
  • Added a row effect duration timer to row glyphs.
  • Improved visual loading transition of premium card art.

Neutral
  • Triss: Telekinesis will now Create a card from either player's starting deck rather than current deck.
  • Count Caldwell can no longer count himself as the highest unit on the board.
  • Olgierd von Everec's provision cost changed from 9 to 8.
  • Gimpy Gerwin's provision cost changed from 8 to 9.
  • Ocvist's provision cost changed from 9 to 10.
  • Tesham Mutna Sword's damage amount changed from 4 to 5.
  • Enraged Ifrit's provision cost changed from 9 to 10.
  • Regis: Bloodlust's provision cost changed from 9 to 10.
  • Gregoire de Gorgon's boost amount changed from 6 to 5.
  • Pellar's power changed from 3 to 4.
  • Dragon's Dream primary category changed from Alchemy to Bomb.
  • Dimeritium Bomb primary category changed from Alchemy to Bomb.

Monsters
  • Eredin Bréacc Glas's boost amount changed from 4 to 2, and he now has 2 Charges.
  • Dominance will now only trigger if you already control the highest ally. Units with the Dominance ability can no longer count themselves as the highest units when played.
  • Imlerith's ability changed to: "Order: Damage a unit by 1. Dominance: Damage a unit by 2 instead. Cooldown: 1. Reach: 2."
  • Alpha Werewolf's provision cost changed from 5 to 6.
  • Cyclops's power changed from 5 to 4.
  • Whispess's power changed from 5 to 4.
  • Brewess's power changed from 5 to 6.
  • Kayran's power changed from 4 to 5, and its provision cost changed from 9 to 8.
  • Morvudd's power changed from 6 to 5, and its provision cost changed from 10 to 8.
  • Wild Hunt Rider's power changed from 4 to 3, and his provision cost changed from 6 to 5.
  • Adda: Striga now has the Cursed category.

Skellige
  • Bran Tuirseach's provision bonus changed from 16 to 15.
  • Arnjolf the Patricide's power changed from 9 to 11.
  • Harald the Cripple's provision bonus changed from 13 to 15.
  • Svalblod's provision bonus changed from 16 to 17.
  • Coral's provision cost changed from 9 to 8, and her ability changed to: "Zeal. Order: Discard a card, then draw a card. Whenever you Discard a special card, damage an enemy unit by 2."
  • Olaf's provision cost changed from 10 to 11.
  • Knut the Callous's provision cost changed from 9 to 8.
  • Svalblod Priest's power changed from 2 to 3.
  • Drummond Shieldmaiden's provision cost changed from 6 to 5.
  • An Craite Longship's provision cost changed from 7 to 6.
  • Dimun Warship's power changed from 1 to 2.
  • Vabjorn now has the Warrior category.
  • Vildkaarl now has the Warrior category.
  • Heymaey Protector now has the Warrior category.
  • Corrupted Flaminica now has the Druid category.
  • Jutta an Dimun's Deploy ability will no longer take into account other copies Jutta on the board.

Northern Realms
  • Queen Calanthe's provision bonus changed from 14 to 16.
  • King Foltest's provision bonus changed from 13 to 14.
  • King Demavend III's provision bonus changed from 16 to 17.
  • Vandergrift's Blade ability changed to: "Deploy: Boost an allied Knight by 2. Whenever you play a Knight, boost it by 2."
  • Dandelion's power changed from 4 to 5.
  • Odrin's provision cost changed from 8 to 7.
  • Prince Stennis's power changed from 5 to 2, his provision cost changed from 9 to 7, and the amount of Charges he gives changed from 1 to 2.
  • Ves's provision cost changed from 8 to 9.
  • Reynard Odo's provision cost changed from 9 to 8.
  • King Roegner's provision cost changed from 9 to 8.

Scoia'tael
  • Eithné's provision bonus changed from 19 to 18.
  • Saesenthessis's Order ability will now remove its Immunity status until the start of your next turn.
  • Forest Whisperer's ability changed to: "Deploy (Melee): Give an enemy unit Poison. Order (Ranged): Give an allied unit a Shield."
  • Mahakam Guard will now boost self by the number of allied Dwarves on the row it's played rather than the other row.
  • Half-Elf Hunter will no longer be able to target an enemy unit if you control no artifacts.
  • Weeping Willow's provision cost changed from 8 to 7.
  • Sheldon Skaggs's provision cost changed from 8 to 9.
  • Sirssa's power changed from 4 to 3.
  • Dryad Grovekeeper's power changed from 3 to 4.
  • Barclay Els's provision cost changed from 8 to 7.

Nilfgaard
  • Morvran Voorhis's provision bonus changed from 17 to 15, and his ability changed to: "Order: Boost an allied Soldier by 2. Charge: 3. Once all Charges have been exhausted, move a Soldier unit from your deck to the top."
  • Fringilla Vigo's provision cost changed from 7 to 9, and her ability changed to: "Deploy: Damage an enemy unit by 2. Increase the number of targets by 1 for each adjacent Mage."
  • Sweers's provision cost changed from 9 to 10, and his ability changed to: "Deploy (Melee): Seize an enemy unit with 3 or less power."
  • Hefty Helge's ability changed to: "Shield. Order: Damage a unit by 2. Charge: 1. Gain 1 Charge whenever you play a Tactic."
  • Rainfarn of Attre's ability changed to: "Whenever you play a unit with Spying, boost self by 2."
  • Deithwen Arbalest's power changed from 3 to 4, his provision cost changed from 5 to 4, and his ability changed to: "Deploy (Melee): Banish a card from opponent's graveyard. Deploy (Ranged): Banish a card from your graveyard."
  • Alba Pikeman's power changed from 2 to 4, and his ability changed to: "Melee: Every allied turn, on turn end, damage a random enemy unit on the melee row by 1."
  • Mangonel's power changed from 4 to 3, and its ability changed to: "Deploy: Damage an enemy unit by 1. Increase damage by 2 for each Spying unit adjacent to the target. Reach: 2."
  • Standard Bearer's ability changed to: "Deploy: Boost self by 1 for each boosted enemy unit."
  • Daerlan Soldier's provision cost changed from 5 to 6, and his ability changed to: "Deploy: Spawn a base copy of this unit and Summon it to this row."
  • Recruit's power changed from 4 to 3, and his ability changed to: "Deploy: Boost an allied Soldier by 3."
  • Ointment's ability changed to: "Boost a unit by 4. If it's a Soldier, Heal it first."
  • Venendal Elite's power changed from 3 to 4, and his ability changed to: "Deploy: Boost self by 1 for each Tactic in your hand."
  • Emhyr var Emreis's provision bonus changed from 14 to 15, and his ability will now boost the unit moved to your hand by 2.
  • Tourney Shaelmaar's ranged row ability changed to: "Deploy (Ranged): Boost self by 2 for each allied unit from a different faction."
  • Auckes's ability will now only Lock all copies of an enemy unit on the board. He can no longer Lock copies of the enemy unit in the opponent's hand and deck.
  • Jan Calveit's provision bonus changed from 15 to 17.
  • Vilgefortz's provision cost changed from 11 to 10.
  • Yennefer's Invocation provision cost changed from 10 to 9.
  • Cynthia's provision cost changed from 9 to 8.
  • Traheaern var Vdyffir's provision cost changed from 7 to 8.
  • Imperial Diviner's power changed from 3 to 4.
  • Ducal Guard's power changed from 3 to 4.
  • Emissary's provision cost changed from 6 to 5, and his boost amount changed from 7 to 6.

Game Fixes
  • Fixed an issue whereby Machines played from the opponent's graveyard or Seized from the opponent would not gain Zeal when beign placed on a row with Siege Master.
  • Fixed an issue whereby cards discarded manually by the opponent appeared blank in the Match History panel.
  • Fixed an issue whereby Tourney Shaelmaar's ranged ability would not take units with Immunity status into account.
  • Fixed an issue whereby Tourney Shaelmaar's ranged ability would take allied Nilfgaardian units into account under specific circumstances.
  • Fixed an issue whereby cards that give adjacent units statuses could give said statuses to artifacts and to Tactical Advantage.
  • Cintrian Knight now correctly states that he can only damage enemy units.
  • Fixed an issue whereby Cahir Dyffryn did not receive boosts when enemy Vampires received boosts from Blood Moon.
  • Fixed an issue whereby Knut the Callous could damage an enemy unit after dealing no damage to an adjacent unit with a Shield.
  • Fixed an issue whereby the ability of Knut the Callous did not trigger when he was played to the right of a unit with Immunity status.
  • Summoning Circle now correctly states that it can play only non-Token units.
  • Fixed an issue whereby Bleeding given to your units by the opponent could progress Contracts related to damaging your own units, such as "This Won't Hurt a Bit."
  • Fixed an issue whereby The Great Oak's ability would not take into account face-down cards.
  • Fixed an issue whereby triggering a Locked Deathwish unit's ability via another card's ability would remove the Lock from that unit.
  • Fixed an issue whereby the Lock status would not be removed from units that were moved to graveyard on round end.
  • Fixed an issue whereby Pitfall Trap would not trigger before Protofleder and Alp triggered their abilities.
  • Fixed a visual animation issue with the bard's collar in Inspirational Ballad's premium art version.
  • Fixed an issue whereby a damaged unit with 5 power would be transformed by Slave Infantry into a copy of Slave Infantry but its power value would remain red.
  • Fixed an issue whereby units with Berserk, when set to 1 power while in hand, would not have their Berserk abilities triggered when played.
  • Fixed an issue whereby Cleaver could not target allied units.
  • Fixed a visual animation issue in Aelirenn's premium version.
  • Fixed an issue whereby the damage/boost ability of Botchling/Lubberkin would stop working after being moved to another row then transforming itself.
  • Fixed an issue whereby Pitfall Trap and Incinerating Trap would not trigger their abilities for units played from the opponent's graveyard.
  • The "Blood Moon" contract now correctly states that the requirements must be met in Arena mode.
  • Modified Sihil's tooltip to include the keyword Deathblow.
  • The tooltip of Vivienne De Tabris in German now correctly states the targeted unit's power is set to its provision cost.
  • The tooltip of Garkain in Brazilian-Portuguese now correctly states the damage inflcited is based on the duration of Bleeding the target unit has.
  • The tooltip of Toussaint Knight-Errant in Brazilian-Portuguese now correctly states that the target enemy unit must have at least 6 power for the Deploy damage amount to increase.
  • Numerous other tooltip fixes and improvements.

I read the complete list of changes, yet I can't find info on where ranked mode selection has gone and where to find season mode. (Or is my update broken?)

EDIT: Update was broken. Repeaired it, shows rank selection and season mode selection again. *Phew*

Last edited:
Hehe, my deck needed zero changes and actually benefitted from the Alba Pikeman change. Not bad.

I hadn't realised just how much I missed drag-and-drop. It's just so convenient and makes the gameplay smoother IMO.

rrc

Forum veteran
Abridged version of changes for each factions:

Neutral: Nerf all control cards which are useful and buff cards that are not useful.
Monsters: Use Caldwell only in WLS and use WHR only with AQ or Gerni. You can use Imlerith:Sabbath and Kayran got double buff.
SK: Bran and Olaf nerfed a little and Coral nerfed good and every other card in that faction is buffed to compensate for this.
ST: Nerf the only competitive leader and couple of cards she used and buff some random dwarfs and few units who no one cares.
NR: Buff all leaders and all support units for charges and a well deserved-and-arrived-a-little-late nerf for Ves.
NG: Basically give all proactive plays and make all 4/5/6 provision cards super powerful such that confuse your deckbuilding with question "hmm.. which gold should I add now in the remaining 3 slots and with 60 provisions left?"

You are welcome.

Last edited:
Hubert Rejk is extremly bugged. He buffs himself for the damage dealt in the whole round (or whole match).
From reddit:

"On my last turn, I used Ocvist and one Arbalest charge but my Hubert got to 40pt somehow."
"Looks like it gets boosted by the dmg from whole round instead of last turn. Here I didn't even damage anything in my last turn."

What's with the players who abuse this bug? It's game breaking...

Sad what they did to Eithne deck, they nerfed all neutral removal, and 3 to 4 specific deck cards, eithne, sheldon, sirssa and Saesenthessis's , with no boost at all. While the top deck, Bran, can fit exactly the same cards than before only losing one charge of coral...
Post automatically merged:

Btw, nerfing so much specific decks damages new players much more, because, as a new player, I have only enough cards to build one competitive deck, so I started playing one month ago, spend all my scraps trying to build one deck I like, that by no means was OP, now if I want to change to a different deck, I have almost no (rare) cards from that deck... while players with full collection don't mind at all, they just move to other meta deck and forget about the nerfs in 5 mins.

Last edited:
Already hotfixed. And don't post bugs like that. You report them instead.

The bug was already reported. I quoted some guys from reddit, let the players know what's going on with Hubert. The video is also not mine. What's wrong with that?

Rather dissapointed with the way Drag & Drop support was implemented; it creates a huge visual mess and its not a true drag and drop as it was in Beta Gwent.

Its pretty much the same as before with just a ton of visual mess that distract the player IMO.

Had my hopes up for a minute, but Nilfgaard still needs to be nerfed in some ways. Not sure if I'm alone in thinking this way, but these are my thoughts

Auckes change is good, but more needs to be done for Recruit Cost at the very least in my mind with particular cards to truncate the versatility that's all too encompassing due to abundance. I get the NG theme of them being an empire set on control and neutralizing opposition on all fronts both in the shadows with their sneaky machinations, to outright brute force with their massive power through numbers and ruthlessness that comes through with that faction's cards and love that; too much removal and monkey wrenching of setups-especially for someone like me that relies on Engine maining as Monster-with little or no recourse no matter how adeptly I play as far as I can tell feels wonky and broken in some scenarios against NG where I wish I could just pass particular NG leaders for another opponent. It evokes the same kind of vexation of when ST were able to win matches with only 2 minions at times with full focus on removal through Traps and Weapons before that whole change nerfing Weapons through Charges and higher Recuit Cost. Loses some sense of fun where it seems insurmountable instead of an uphill battle due to a normal deck advantage over another like Control over Engine. Not to say that those players aren't skilled who I've played either since there are some smart plays I've seen with card synergy I'll mention

I've played against many NG decks with 4 or sometimes 5 Locks when Auckes would lock all copies of my Engines anywhere before today's change where they remained locked in the Graveyard the following round when the last patch was meant to fix that as well iirc, had 2 Restores so Engine units I managed to unlock and boost through Mahakam Ale or via a Whispering Hillock Reset so that they could still Consume as planned were put back down to their Base Power anyways by Spores and Peter Saar Gwynleve-Geralt Yrden as well at times or in place of Spores depending on that player's deck-a hard removal for Destroying a boosted unit 8 or higher with Leo Bonhart when no Yrden, and half the time two Seizes due to Vigo's Muzzle and Ardal Aep Dahy using his Hero Power stealing an Engine due to having enough Tactic cards to steal a unit with 4 or 5 Power; to add insult to injury, particular combos like: double Assassination via Steffan Skellan, playing Assire Var Anahid to replay any of those Gold cards from a prior round for more Locks, Restore, or Destroy by moving them from the Graveyard to deck where cards like Albrich with card draw from Vicovaro Novice or Roderick of Dun Tynne if played appropriately with the combo on top of it like Letho Kingslayer to make an additional copy makes it overwhelming on top their thinning cards, units like Infiltrator to potentially mess with your mulligans if your deck isn't messed with outright from Banish or played from your own deck to the enemy's side

Some cards are changed out for others here and there, but overall it's still too overwhelming with other plays I haven't mentioned-even for NG; they can potentially thin their own deck, play and steal your own cards in a multitude of ways on field or from deck while adding cards to your deck, put a stop to Engines every which way while having their own ramping up all in one deck on top of just normal removal that be raw damage. More changes need to be done, I like their faction, but NG needs to be corrected in some ways as far as I can tell with some tweaks somewhere that I'm not keen enough to spot. Perhaps I'm wrong, but more reworks with Base Power of units and/or Recruit Costs need some fine tuning just to limit access so it's not so abundant (tried formatting to make it easier to discern, but I fear I've made a clusterfuck to the eyes :facepalm:).

I'm aware of getting better and have changed my own deck to try and turn the tide in my favor and can see where I misplayed when not whiffing outright, but matches against NF feel way to stacked against me depending on the leader. Maybe lower Recruit Caps on particular leaders? Thoughts?

... Auckes change is good...
Yes, it killed the card.

Haven't played last night, but from what I saw most of the NG new mechanics looked laughable. Instead, we had some really good SKELLIGE buffs. Of all the factions you'll chose to buff SKELLIGE the most. Really?

Happy with the Dominance fix (kinda weird, to say the least, for Caldwell though) - was about damn time, but not sure nerfing Cyclops with 1 STR was needed. One can argue if 3 for 5 on WH Riders is a nerf or a buff, as this opens 2 more Provision Points and MS already have some pretty good choices (you basically let me keep Ifrit and Regis for free in the same deck).

Have to play a bit but got really annoyed by all the good stuff that SK did get... AGAIN.

Auckes's ability will now only Lock all copies of an enemy unit on the board. He can no longer Lock copies of the enemy unit in the opponent's hand and deck.
Yes, it killed the card.
You're serious? One card to lock at least two cards, and you see no value in that card?
But Dimun Warship having 2 strength instead of 1, that's a gamebreaker for you? Dunno, seems you're a bit biased.

One can argue if 3 for 5 on WH Riders is a nerf or a buff, as this opens 2 more Provision Points and MS already have some pretty good choices (you basically let me keep Ifrit and Regis for free in the same deck).

The nerf on them is the dominance one. You can't just play WHR on an empty board anymore.

I don't know should I report this to support or something similar, but Dettlaff's reward book is kinda bugged, comparing to other CC leader trees; he has a base set keg node which costs 2 rewards points and rewards 2 base set kegs (at least that's what it says, I haven't bought it) while others receive one keg for the same reward point cost.

Top Bottom