Nilfgaard

+
Nilfgaard

I've been having a look at the backstory to the Witcher and have read the Last Wish but unfortunately none of the other books are in print yet for english. Since my Polish isn't very good ;D , would somebody mind giving a bit more info on Nilfgaard and the war between Nilfgaard and the Northern States?

So, nobody answered so far, so I guess it's up to me. Nilfgaard is a centralized big militaristic state, similar to Germany before the WWI, Russia, China or Arabic medieval empires. It's ruled by clever, direct, sophisticated, ruthless, charismatic and scary emperor with extremely strong will. His name is Emhyr var Emreis and the state of (t)his empire is depending completely on his decisions - the closest person in the real world would be J. V. Stalin (some people certainly won't agree). N. lost the war with the Northern Lands, but wasn't truly defeated, simply lost many men, but its economy remained intact, the Jaruga river dividing N. from other lands was really easy to defend, so Emhyr signed a peace treaty with the northern kingdoms. Elves (missing in N.) were persecuted in the north before the war, so they joined the N. army as special groups or helped as guerilla units. N. wasn't interested in their destiny after the war and so the people from the Northern Lands had a free hand to revenge on them for N.'s war crimes.

i'd rather compare nilfgaard to germany before and during II World war. And emhyr would be a kind of inteligent mix of stalin and hitler.

I disagree with both of your opinions. If I ever get a bit more time to elaborate, i will. Now I am only briefing the forums... but I must protest. It is extremely unfair to Emhyr to compare him like this.Another thing is that any elaboration here would be a major SPOILER. And a one you really wouldn't like to know about before reading the books. So, think again if you want to ask. Cheers!

Well, I haven't been able to read the books yet, since only one is translated in english and the only other language I know besides Englisch is Dutch :pThankfully there is a load of information available on the web. But I agree with Kelenthial about Emhyr.Spoiler Personally I think Nilfgaard are far more like the ancient huns. The huns like Nilfgaard were quite warlike, and their most famous ruler, Atilla commanded them with an Iron fist, succesfully conquering almost all of europe. /spoiler

SpoilerPersonally I think Nilfgaard are far more like the ancient huns.The huns like Nilfgaard were quite warlike, and their most famous ruler, Atilla commanded them with an Iron fist, succesfully conquering almost all of europe./spoiler
SPOILERThe problem is, Nilfgaard is more advanced than the Northern Realms, brings political and social stabilization, more liberal laws, etc, etc, to the Northern Realms. As for their expansion to the North - it is the kind of war we could see quite often raging in Middle Ages - like the conflict between France and England, for example - one country tries to develop faster utilizing the other (another thing -in modern times - England still holds the Northern Ireland - what for? Is there any really good reason for this? Other that the desire to be larger, more powerful country, taking what does not belong to them from other country/nation? Look at the map; does that look natural to you? Do you think it is OK? And we have XXI century=='). As for the moral consequences -- war is always amoral. No matter who attacks whom (and the Northern Realms aren't faultless as well - you will get it, reading the books). That is one thing about Sapkowski writings - he shows that no war is good, yet there always will be war, because that is the human nature. Simple, common people can be friends, but the countries - never. and the politics can easily destroy the world of common folk. Another thing is that everyone is thinking only of themselves - quite natural for humans, really. When someone has lost something some other person has gained it. There is no black&white, only grey. But that was said so many times, that *thinking* about what cannot be changed, gives me a headache;p. So, you will just have to wait for the novels (or learn Polish - not THAT hard, really) to ponder on this yourself. As for Emhyr - I won't say anything about him, because that *would* spoil your funs with the books./SPOILER

Nilfgaard was just one province in the past, similiar to Temeria for example, but with time they conquered more and more lands (you can see it on the map) creating an empire. Unlike others I`d say Nilgaard is like Roman Empire which started as republic but ended as empire. It`s the same here, Emhyr is like Ceasar. They relay on science and military force, trying to become dominant with what ever ways they can (also economically). There`s a large cultural difference, in Northern Kingdoms mages were those ruleing togheter with kings, in Nilfgaard all mages are strictly under Emhyr and military control and treated as any other peasant. Nilfgaard is one country (although it consists on conquered lands from which some are on better rights then others having their little puppet-independency) and Northern Kingdom are many, plus, divided. You can learn something about first war with Nilfgaard reading the early stories that are already translated to english I think. Empire was defeated, after conquering Cintra, in great battle of Sodden hill (which involved mages from both sides doing sort of duel which massacred lots of them). Saying more would be a spoiler.Although*SPOILER*Triss Merigold which you know from the game took part in Battle of Sodden (there were two battles) hill where she almost burned alive ;)

ausir

Forum veteran
ou can learn something about first war with Nilfgaard reading the early stories that are already translated to english I think.
They aren't. Nilfgaard isn't mentioned until "Coś więcej", which is in the "Sword of Destiny" book, while only "The Last Wish" book has been translated so far.

Have you all forgotten Napoleon?! If Nilfgard and his emperor can be compared to anything it's Napoleonic France. Emhyr was ambitious but he wasn't as monstrous as Stalin and Hitler. He even had his charm.

I like the comparison to Romans/Ceasar as well. I think it is the best we could find;)And, yes, Emhyr definetely has his charm ;>

Nilfgaard is quite alike the Roman Empire: it's more civilised than the Nordlings, only the inhabitants of the Nilfgaard province have the status of citizens, the political power is held by the emperor alone etc.The war between Nilfgaard and the Northern Kings left the Northern states in ruins, while Nilfgaard's economy is still strong, even though Nilfgaard was defeated.

Top Bottom