No Access to Steam In Game and No Steam Cloud

+
No Access to Steam In Game and No Steam Cloud

Me again. Sorry for being annoying.

Simply put, I have no access to Steam while playing Witcher 2 Enhanced Edtion, and I cannot use Steam Cloud to save my games. It happened just after the Launcher started working correctly again.

The following link you might find useful as it deals with Steam Cloud Saving .
http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/29207-some-notes-on-steam-cloud-saving/

Tommy said:
The following link you might find useful as it deals with Steam Cloud Saving .
http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/29207-some-notes-on-steam-cloud-saving/

Thank you for the link but I still can't open up steam while in game like i used to be able to. I used to be able to press Shift + Tab to open it up, and at the beginning of the game it would say that Steam Community is active or something along those lines.

Now nothing happens.

Has anything been disabled or changed through Steam . This is an excerpt from part of a Steam page .

Game Overlay and Notification System

The Game Overlay System lets you jump into the Steam Community directly while in game and keeps you informed when your friends come online, join a game, or send you a message. The default shortcut to open the Steam Community while in game is Shift + Tab. You can change the shortcut by clicking the Steam menu > Settings > and go to the In-Game tab.
Customizing, Troubleshooting and Disabling the Game Overlay
You may customize what types of notifications you receive using Game Overlay.
Click Steam > Settings, select the Friends tab.
Under Notifications & Sounds uncheck Display a notification for anything you wish not to get a popup for.
You may completely disable Game Overlay by going to Steam’s Steam > Settings menu and selecting the In-Game tab. Then uncheck the Enable Steam Community In-Game checkbox.
The Game Overlay will work with third-party non-Steam games which you have added to Steam. The basic requirement is that the game uses Direct3D 7, Direct3D 8, Direct3D 9, Direct3D 10, or OpenGL for rendering. Some 2D games which use DDraw or software based rendering methods are not supported (ex/ Diablo).

Tommy said:
Has anything been disabled or changed through Steam . This is an excerpt from part of a Steam page .

Game Overlay and Notification System

The Game Overlay System lets you jump into the Steam Community directly while in game and keeps you informed when your friends come online, join a game, or send you a message. The default shortcut to open the Steam Community while in game is Shift + Tab. You can change the shortcut by clicking the Steam menu > Settings > and go to the In-Game tab.
Customizing, Troubleshooting and Disabling the Game Overlay
You may customize what types of notifications you receive using Game Overlay.
Click Steam > Settings, select the Friends tab.
Under Notifications & Sounds uncheck Display a notification for anything you wish not to get a popup for.
You may completely disable Game Overlay by going to Steam’s Steam > Settings menu and selecting the In-Game tab. Then uncheck the Enable Steam Community In-Game checkbox.
The Game Overlay will work with third-party non-Steam games which you have added to Steam. The basic requirement is that the game uses Direct3D 7, Direct3D 8, Direct3D 9, Direct3D 10, or OpenGL for rendering. Some 2D games which use DDraw or software based rendering methods are not supported (ex/ Diablo).

No nothing has been disabled.

OK try disabling it then click ok and then close Steam then give it a minute or two then open steam and reenable and click ok .

Tommy said:
Have you checked for an update to the Steam client ?

I have, and I've also checked for Video Client Updates.

It doesn't happen with my other games (except the really old ones that don't really support steam), only with Witcher 2.

Tommy said:
Have you applied any patches that did not come from Steam .

Yes I applied Patch 3.2 via the Launcher when it started up. I also installed patch 3.1 from this website.

...That's probably the problem, isn't it?

Most likely cause = yep . Whenever you run a game from Steam all updates will need to come through them only . Any other patches from anywhere else will most likely break steam connections .When you downloaded from them it should have had the patches already in place . There is a tab in witcher 2 right click and select properties and then updates just make sure the little box is checked that says keep this game up to date or something similar .

EDIT : You can try to verify game cache and hopefully that will fix it . If not the only recourse is to reinstall the game .

Tommy said:
Most likely cause = yep . Whenever you run a game from Steam all updates will need to come through them only . Any other patches from anywhere else will most likely break steam connections .When you downloaded from them it should have had the patches already in place . There is a tab in witcher 2 right click and select properties and then updates just make sure the little box is checked that says keep this game up to date or something similar .

It's checked. Should I just reinstall the game?

I just started a thread about a problem happening to me seemingly out of the clear blue when I try to play Witcher 2 using Steam today, and then read this thread... and I was wondering if there's some connection. There are a few new threads from within the past hour and they all have issues with the game not running well with some correlation to Steam. Maybe come see the thread I just started = Help Please! I Deleted Some Old Saves > Now Lag Is Horrible

Makes me wonder if some update happened with Steam in the background that messed us up - ?

Ok. I fixed it.

My files needed to be validated, and when they were Steam let me update them.

It's working fine now, thanks!

maradakia said:
How did you fix this? I'm hoping maybe it will fix my problem too - ?

To verify game cache files open Steam>Library and right click Witcher 2 and select properties then click Local Files and then Verify Integrity Game Files .

@ *Tommy* Okay, I ran the thing on Steam as you described, to verify integrity of game cache. It ran for a while then told me: 1 file failed to validate and will be reacquired. ? What now?

Update: I ran it again... validating 0/1 files... and it came up with the exact same answer = 1 files failed to validate and will be reacquired.

Top Bottom