No Console Cyberpunk? Say It Aint So!

+
The problem with the NX though is that Nintendo is very likely keeping it very much under wraps, and Nintendo's systems are usually more.... unique, to develop for.

I would definitely be surprised if they released anything other than Nintendo-funded core games at first. Then if it seems popular enough people would start developing for it later.

yeah. they have an engine with well-working builds on windows, xbone and ps4. porting it to a new platform has to be a financially justifiable decision. it's debatable whether a brand new console that we don't know much about (and probably they don't either) is that. I'm not sure how many future nx owners (that would actually play cp) don't own either a pc or any of the current big consoles already.

Last edited:
A little birdie told me that Cyberpunk 2077 wouldn't be available on consoles, at least not initially. This, if true, would break my heart seeing as I only have the means for a Xbox One. Any confirmation one way or the other?

It'll be on console, no worries about that.
The console VS PC war is kind of dumb nowadays, it's quite the same thing, same games, and on a "marketing" point of view, it's more interesting to develop a game for console than to do it for PC.

On console, you buy your game 50 / 70 bucks, on PC you'll sell an handfull of game and most of them will be cracked/downloaded / bought on cheap - key sites where the developer don't earn any money over.

If I had to make a game and earn money out of it, I'd make it for console, not for PC.
Plus the "gamers" audience with money to spend on games (mostly kids/teens) are one consoles.

Last edited:
To be fair, the present consoles have a similar computing power to many PCs used by gamers, and perhaps even more than some of the few that are still using a 32 bit OS. However, a decent gaming PC blows consoles out of the water. I wish these games were PC exclusive because I can only imagine how great it would be if it was a PC 64 bit exclusive, a la Gal Civ and a few other games lately, but I completely understand the need for them to properly recoup their investment and make some money, which requires consoles, unfortunately.

current gen consoles (PS4/Xbone) have an architecture that is quite similar to a modern PC in design. while the OS may be different as it doesn't ever really have to do some tasks that a PC would, at the core both are AMD processors and GPUs. not being on consoles would end up just being a time/money constraint thing on CDPR's part, and considering how much they'd lose on sales by not having it on consoles I highly doubt they didn't budget in making a PS4 and Xbone port.

as to nintendo...well nintendo hasn't been with the modern gaming times in years as far as I'm concerned, going out of their way to cater to the Japanese and children's markets with the Wii/Wii U. even if the NX ends up being a console similar to the PS4 and Xbone in architecture and design, nintendo may not even want it. they'll make enough money on a metroid game that looks like star wars battlefront or a zelda game that looks like witcher 3 if that's what they shoot for with the NX.

On console, you buy your game 50 / 70 bucks, on PC you'll sell an handfull of game and most of them will be cracked/downloaded / bought on cheap - key sites where the developer don't earn any money over.

That's a lot more of a rumor then a fact.
Sure some folks will get cracked copies of the game, but you also see cracked game cartridges out there. It's a problem, but not nearly as big a one as some make it out to be. I put it in the same category as the losses to shoplifting any merchant experiences.

THERE WILL BE NO CONSOLE VS...ahahah, never mind, just testing my new Mod Color.

Maybe this one? Opinions?

Also, in case it wasn't clear, CP2077 is coming to every platform everywhere...except your favourite. Whatever one that is. It's a new PR trick called, "We hate our customers."

C'mon. This will come up again, I'm sure, and I look forward to us violently debunking it. Politely, violently. Is that a thing?

Forum veteran
You all heard it here: a mod (which, as everyone knows, is an employee of CDPR and thus in the know because that's totally how it works) confirmed that Cyberpunk 2077 is coming to all platforms save one. Dreamcast, Game Boy Color, Neo Geo, Game Gear, Playstation 1, Sega 32X, Nintendo 64—only one platform is excluded! This is confirmed information! Fly on the wings of Twitter, dear villainous sheep, and tell the world about how excited you are for the upcoming Virtual Boy version of 2077!

A great line, but not really based in anything resembling reality. Take casual disc sharing, which is every bit as bad as piracy in publishers' eyes. Almost entirely a console problem now that the PC is mostly digital. Normal piracy? That's something that the PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, and pretty much every console before them were also subject to. In fact, a bunch of updates for the 3DS have been specifically to combat vulnerabilities pirates used. At this point, the "PC piracy" argument is little more than propaganda used to hand-wave away poor game sales and garner pity from those who don't know better.

At this point, the "PC piracy" argument is little more than propaganda used to hand-wave away poor game sales and garner pity from those who don't know better.

Pretty much. Consoles have been cracked for years - a cursory Google search will tell people that.

But then, that'd be knowledge, ( of a sort, at least) over chosen truth, and who wants that?

I want it to come to all systems, but I would really love if it was designed for PC first.

This usually means the UI won't be as clunky, more build options and character buliding in general (poor Geralt in Witcher3, even Mass Effect had more builds), and the gameplay won't be as QTE/HandHolding (lol Witcher Sense) filled.

Unfortunately any game intended to be run in consoles, be it initially or later, has it's UI automatically restricted by the console with the least number of control buttons.
Sure you could design and use a different UI, but what to you cut to fit it on a console controller? You can't jump? Reload? Access your inventory? Throw grenades?
The other option is simply to allow much more functionality with mouse and keyboard then with a controller. For obvious reasons console manufacturers put tremendous pressure on developers not to highlight the limitations of consoles.

None of this of course excuses the lousy console-to-PC ports we see far too often.

Top Bottom