No console footage shown?

+
Graphics don't bother me and I'll be buying the game no matter what. This doesn't stop me from being curious at how it'll look on consoles though.

Lets not forget that PC has only been shown at high settings at most (excluding the ANCIENT 35 minute video from last year which looks worse than console version now). So, basically all the footage we have seen is console level graphics

My speculation is that all the footage that they've been showing on pc is approximately equivalent to the console's graphics, which, in my opinion is a very smart move. Think about it. If CDPR were to show footage that is much higher than what is possible on consoles (without making it clear that this is only possible on pc), than people who buy the game on console would be upset.

I think that's why it's really not a great marketing move to showcase the game on max pc settings. People getting it on consoles might buy the game off of that and feel that they were bamboozled.

My speculation is that all the footage that they've been showing on pc is approximately equivalent to the console's graphics, which, in my opinion is a very smart move. Think about it. If CDPR were to show footage that is much higher than what is possible on consoles (without making it clear that this is only possible on pc), than people who buy the game on console would be upset.

I have no doubt that CDPR really is still in the process of optimizing Ultra, but the reason why the game has been on High settings whenever they decided to show footage in the last couple of months is, imho, that this presents how the game will look like (more or less) no matter whatever platform of gaming you choose. Yes, High settings is the equivalent of the console versions.

Now, before certain people here might be suffering a heart attack, let me clarify, yes, on a PC that meets the "High" requirements the game will undoubtedly look superior and run better (sharper textures, AA, draw distance, better framerate, etc.). However, for the average gamer those things will be neglectable and - unless two version are running simultaniously right next to each other (and even then) - barely noticable. As it is so often the case with this forum (or any other that concentrates on a particular subject for that matter) the amount of scrutiny that gets applied to even the most unlikeliest facets of the game is not representative of the larger gaming community. Some people here might be able to pick out even the tiniest detail that is indicative of the inferiority/superiority of one version over another just based on a short comparison clip or even just an image, most gamers however do not possess that skill nor do they care for it*.

So, yeah, not only is it a smart move on CDPR's part to withhold Ultra - which, let's be honest here, only the smallest fraction of the people buying the game will be able to enjoy - until the game is actually released, it's also the rare case of honest marketing.

*In the same way non-audiophiles are seldom able to tell the difference between a moderately compressed and an uncompressed audio file.

Last edited by a moderator:
Either it was console or lower PC settings, some parts of the new trailer looked bad while other parts were jaw dropping.

Like the part where Geralt is inside that dungeon with the torch, looked pretty bad

Yeah, I was thinking that too. It seemed like they used a mix of footage for the trailer, some of it looked better than other parts.

I hope they show some ps4 footage soon. It isn't going to change my decision of getting the game, but I just want to see how it looks.

I have no doubt that CDPR really is still in the process of optimizing Ultra, but the reason why the game has been on High settings whenever they decided to show footage in the last couple of months is, imho, that this presents how the game will look like (more or less) no matter whatever platform of gaming you choose. Yes, High settings is the equivalent of the console versions.

Now, before certain people here might be suffering a heart attack, let me clarify, yes, on a PC that meets the "High" requirements the game will undoubtedly look superior and run better (sharper textures, AA, draw distance, better framerate, etc.). However, for the average gamer those things will be neglectable and - unless two version are running simultaniously right next to each other (and even then) - barely noticable. As it is so often the case with this forum (or any other that concentrates on a particular subject for that matter) the amount of scrutiny that gets applied to even the most unlikeliest facets of the game is not representative of the larger gaming community. Some people here might be able to pick out even the tiniest detail that is indicative of the inferiority/superiority of one version over another just based on a short comparison clip or even just an image, most gamers however do not possess that skill nor do they care for it*.

So, yeah, not only is it a smart move on CDPR's part to withhold Ultra - which, let's be honest here, only the smallest fraction of the people buying the game will be able to enjoy - until the game is actually released, it's also the rare case of honest marketing.

*In the same way non-audiophiles are seldom able to tell the difference between a moderately compressed and an uncompressed audio file.

Console gamers are also concerned about graphics, I have seen several questions like "How it will look on XB1 ?" and "How does the console footage look in comparison to PC ?", it's just that they are not very vocal about it. PC gamers on other hand are more curious because in past they have been ditched many times, does Watch Dogs ring some bells ? I am not saying that this is the case with TW3 but it gives that "moaning", "bitching" and "complaining" some merit and lets be honest completely that games are often advertised with superior visuals using a PC and then turns out flat in the end, this has been a common practice this gen.

Still agree on the point of holding Ultra for now, it's best to keep visual parity before release.

Last edited by a moderator:
While you are all welcome to express concern about the lack of console gameplay footage, please do NOT turn this into a "Console users vs PC users" debate, and do not attack other forum users.

One post has been deleted.

Last edited:
@tahirahmed: It wasn't. To me at least. I might have disagreed with your assessment, but it was hardly offensive neither in content nor phrasing. But then it was probably my post (or rather its wording) that caused what I can only assume was an preemptive intervention (Shame, I concluded on such a positive note). But since one doesn't question the moderators' actions ...

Edit: And your post is gone. Oh well ...

called it.

No you didn't, although that one was probably inappropriate too, so hopefully no more :)

---------- Updated at 08:01 PM ----------

@tahirahmed: It wasn't. To me at least. I might have disagreed with your assessment, but it was hardly offensive neither in content nor phrasing. But then it was probably my post (or rather its wording) that caused what I can only assume was an preemptive intervention (Shame, I concluded on such a positive note). But since one doesn't question the moderators' actions ...

Edit: And your post is gone. Oh well ...

:)
And thank you, and yes, some of the wording. So, back on topic now?

Top Bottom