No cutscene defeats in Cyberpunk

+
I like it!
Cutscenes have their place when you're doing dialog but should never replace player controlled combat. It's easy to make an unbeatable foe if you need the player to lose for story-line reasons. And sure ... a few immature players will whine and cry ... but CDPR makes games for adults not 10-year-olds.

Agreed since the original Cyberpunk used a realistic form of combat. Enemies should not give speeches before they expire, they just drop Dead with little to no fanfare, sometimes with the main character making extra holes when their down to make sure.

Last edited:
Calistarius;n7184560 said:
Nice and lengthy strawman, Calis. Congrats with "over 9000" achievement.
Did you ever seen F1/Tactics/FNV in my post along with F2? Or what was the last sentence about?
And nope, Fallout 2 is very close to Fallout 3 in terms of theme park design and silly humor.
kanonite;n7188520 said:
Agreed since the original Cyberpunk used a realistic form of combat. Enemies should not give speeches before they expire, they just drop Dead with little to no fanfare, sometimes with the main character making extra holes when their down to make sure.
Well, some big ass last speech full of antagonist's butthurt sometimes can be amusing enough.

Last edited:
metalmaniac21;n7189230 said:
Nice and lengthy strawman, Calis. Congrats with "over 9000" achievement.
Did you ever seen F1/Tactics/FNV in my post along with F2? Or what was the last sentence about?
And nope, Fallout 2 is very close to Fallout 3 in terms of theme park design and silly humor.

Well, some big ass last speech full of antagonist's butthurt sometimes can be amusing enough.

Okay, cut it with comments like "strawman". If you feel his argument is a strawman, either deal with that argument in your reply, or, better just ignore it. "That's a strawman!" "No, that is!" is unconstructive.

metalmaniac21;n7189230 said:
And nope, Fallout 2 is very close to Fallout 3 in terms of ... silly humor.

Nope. Fallout 2 has more. But whereas Fallout 2 does what it does intentionally (both, the silly and serious stuff), Fallout 3 most of the time goes bonkers unintentionally, when it tries to be serious, and even the intentional silliness... it's just trying way too hard (much more than F2) to even be funny.

As for themepark desing... Fallout 3 is one quite literally and does it on purpose. In that regard, Fallout 2 has nothing on it.

But yea... back on topic.

kofeiiniturpa;n7192150 said:
Nope. Fallout 2 has more. But whereas Fallout 2 does what it does intentionally (both, the silly and serious stuff), Fallout 3 most of the time goes bonkers unintentionally, when it tries to be serious, and even the intentional silliness... it's just trying way too hard (much more than F2) to even be funny.
As for themepark desing... Fallout 3 is one quite literally and does it on purpose. In that regard, Fallout 2 has nothing on it.
Not the good time to argue, so... Whatever, don't want to consider fuckups from boths sides, even when the one is a better game, don't do it.

Back on topic. I don't think that cutscenes should exist in CP2077 at all but the story should roll through what's happening, scripted scenes, yes, but don't take away the controls, unless it's REALLY meaningful. Including "bosses".

metalmaniac21;n7192650 said:
I don't think that cutscenes should exist in CP2077 at all but the story should roll through what's happening, scripted scenes, yes, but don't take away the controls, unless it's REALLY meaningful. Including "bosses".

I guess CDPR people stated somewhere that you could walk away from any conversations you were having in the game. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) This could be an interesting change from the direction where The Witcher series was going with their cinematic cut scenes: while I really enjoyed them and they appeared professional, I'd like to see something less "fixed" from a game with heavier RPG elements.

metalmaniac21;n7192650 said:
I don't think that cutscenes should exist in CP2077 at all

Likewise.

I think events that usually trigger cutscenes and cinematics should remain "in-game" happenstances that occur without disrupting the gameplay. Where the player is never denied control in order to watch a movieclip. These situations should be composed in a manner that they don't require a cinematic; the player is responsible for missing out on stuff if he does.

kofeiiniturpa;n7216960 said:
Likewise.

I don't mind opening and closing cinematic cutscenes, kind of gliding around Night CIty or what have you as a Narrator describes/concludes the setting. I'm okay with that.

Sardukhar;n7217300 said:
I don't mind opening and closing cinematic cutscenes, kind of gliding around Night CIty or what have you as a Narrator describes/concludes the setting. I'm okay with that.
Only if narration done by Mike Pondsmith himself or you, otherwise it's not worth sufferance.

Sardukhar;n7217300 said:

I suppose a very limited number of very specific events could sport a cutscene like event. But just so that they feel "special" and apt for the situation throughout the game and not like "...not again, where's the skip button..."

Meaning, that these events actually add to the experience (special instances that raise intrigue and spice things), and not detract from it through burdening the player with them in massive amounts (dialog, entering mundane scenes, NPC's entering the scene, new phase in the story arc, etc).

Last edited:
kofeiiniturpa;n7217520 said:
Meaning, that these events actually add to the experience (special instances that raise intrigue and spice things), and not detract from it through burdening the player with them in massive amounts (dialog, entering mundane scenes, NPC's entering the scene, new phase in the story arc, etc).

Heh. It amuses me that cutscenes are one of the things PnP Cyberpunk does do. Exposition, description, monologues, new story arcs, etc.

Not that I'm defending it - terrible practice - just remarking on the similarity.

Sardukhar;n7217910 said:
Heh. It amuses me that cutscenes are one of the things PnP Cyberpunk does do. Exposition, description, monologues, new story arcs, etc.

Not that I'm defending it - terrible practice - just remarking on the similarity.

Yeah. There is a bit of irony there, but certain things change when moving to videogame format.

Just like movies almost any cinematic element can be overused in a game. The easy way to provide exposition or try to set an emotional tone is with a cutscene, it's hardly the only way. Good film directors look at the number of times, and length of the exposition scenes in their movies and try to find a way to provide the same information without them. Good game developers can do the exact same thing with cutscenes.

Last edited:
Videogame 'cinematics' should (most of the time) be interactive and mechanically engaging as per the medium being "game".

Sardukhar;n7217300 said:

I love a good opening cinematic and maybe an ending one. CDPR did well in Witcher 3 with ingame graphic scenes too. That i would love to see again in Cyberpunk 2077.

Top Bottom