No Fools Parsley at Ciri's Story The King of the Wolves

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
No Fools Parsley at Ciri's Story The King of the Wolves

Dear sir / madam,

I have the following problem. I just finished Ciri's Story The King of the Wolves and a while later when I checked the quest results in my journal I noticed that I had part of the quest failed. The part that failed was that I did not gather any Fools Parsley's leaves.

So I redid the whole quest a couple of times thinking I overlooked something but I still did not find any Fools Parsley Leaves. I did find the Fools Parsley plants but they look like as if they already have been picked clean. I have made a recording of this with FRAPS. Il post the link of this movie here: https://youtu.be/Z1kntgUCjME

Has anyone encountered this problem to?? And if so has anyone found a solution for this?
Or at least can anyone help me with this problem??

For your information I will provide some data like sys specs and stuff.

I am playing the Witcher 3 on a PC on difficulty level Death March! I am playing the game via GOG and it has been updated to version 1.11
My sys specs are:
CAse = Coolermaster Cosmos 2
PSU = Corsair AX1200I
Motherboard = Gigabyte Z77x-UP7
Processor = Intel I7 3770K
CPU Cooler = Corsair H100i
RAM = 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133hz
Graphics card = MSI GTX980TI Lightning
Soundcard = Creative Labs XFI XtremeGamer Fatal1ty pro
Optical drive = 1x LG Blueray Writer.
Monitor = Samsung Syncmaster P2450
network card= 2x onboard
Harddisk = 4x Western Digital Caviar Black 4TB WD4001FAEX (7200rpm, SATA III, 64MB)
1x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (7200rpm, SATA II, 32MB)
1x SSD Samsung 850 Pro 512GB (SATA III) OS
1x SSD Samsung 850 Pro 512GB (SATA III) Game drive
Internet connection = Glass 500Mbps up and down.
OS = Windows 7 Enterprise 64 Bits (fresh install) and all recent patches and updates from windows update
DirectX version = 11
Anti Virus program = Kasperski Anti Virus 2015
Vid card drivers = Detonator latest version 359.06
Soundcard drivers = latest version
Internet explorer version = 10 with all the latest patches
Mail program used = Outlook ( Office 2010)

Awaiting your response.

DrDeathhand

It's both ahead of and behind you're position when the custscene about brewing the oil occurs. They are a bit off the beaten path, and they blend in with the other vegetation quite well if you don't know what you're looking for. But I believe there are something like 10 plants on the map, in addition to them spawning on the corpses of wolves occasionally. Just scan the area slowly, and you'll find them. They look a lot like other flowering bushes in the area. Poofy white flowers that look like Baby's Breath.

It's both ahead of and behind you're position when the custscene about brewing the oil occurs. They are a bit off the beaten path, and they blend in with the other vegetation quite well if you don't know what you're looking for. But I believe there are something like 10 plants on the map, in addition to them spawning on the corpses of wolves occasionally. Just scan the area slowly, and you'll find them. They look a lot like other flowering bushes in the area. Poofy white flowers that look like Baby's Breath.

Dear Sigifey,

Did you check out my video?? There you will see at the end of it I am litterally standing in front of a fools parsley plant and it it looks like it has been picked. I just loaded an other savegame and did the whole walk through AGAIN and same thing, no fools parsley. I walked the entire thing, backtracked everything again. I have picked up every plant that I can find, that is easy because the map is not wide and it also shows up on your "radar" so I cant find anymore plants.

Also I watched a play through of someone else doing the same thing and I can see exactly which plant he picks to get the fools parsley leaves and that is exactly the plant I am standing in front at the end of my movie so I know its that plant.
Here is a video of some one just picking a fools parsley plant https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOwdIe-wpxY and as you can see / compare with his and my video its exactly the same plant when picked. OR I am seeing it wrong.
If you can show something else (like make a screenshot or something where the fools parsley should be then I would welcome it.

But I do really think I am encountering a bug and though I can play on, and finish this quest I do LOATHE ending a quest with a RED failed sign in the quest log so I do REALLY want to get the fools parsley!!!

Last edited:
It does look odd. Not something I've seen (though the last time I went through was back in 1.084 so something may have got broken along the way... doubt it because I'd expect more than a single report of it by now tbh... but you never know...).

Are you using any mods. What DLC are active? (obviously Ciri Alt)...

Dear Lieste,

I am not using any mods, it is just a standard Witcher 3 install with the free 16 DLC's installed plus the expansion Hearts of Stone (which I have not started yet because I am still WAY to busy in the standard game.

Have you explored that area as Geralt and picked the flowers, just before you triggered this Ciri-flashback?

Dear Lytha,

Yes I can confirm that I have explored that area !! and I did probably picked those flowers. But the weird thing is, I CAN pick up all the other flowers @ the Ciri The King of the Wolves part EXCEPT for the Fools Parsley plants.

Also for your information, it was not JUST BEFORE I started this quest, it was WAAYYYYYY before starting this quest, I think about 300 400 hours before starting this quest :) I explored almost the entire map before starting this Ciri quest

Last edited:
Dear Lytha,

Yes I can confirm that I have explored that area !! and I did probably picked those flowers. But the weird thing is, I CAN pick up all the other flowers @ the Ciri The King of the Wolves part EXCEPT for the Fools Parsley plants.

Also for your information, it was not JUST BEFORE I started this quest, it was WAAYYYYYY before starting this quest, I think about 300 400 hours before starting this quest :) I explored almost the entire map before starting this Ciri quest

I think @Lytha is right. I remember to problems with earlier exploration like you describe in some cases of the game. It exists one example in White Orchard if you have found the herb (Kreuzdorn in German) before talking with Tomira. Then you earn a red cross in your quest list too...

Dear Boromir2015,

I also do remember problems with earlier exploration in the White Orchard, its the part where if you discover the corpse of the dead griffin to early that you cant speak to the hunter anymore. But well I thought that it would only occur there because its sort of the prologue of the game.

Anyways, I still find my problem strange because if this is the case then you can actually not explore anything because of the risk of breaking up quests and stuff. I do hope a moderator or someone from the development team can look at my problem.

Because of this I am going to try something. I am going to reload one of my savegames that takes place before going through the gate to talk to the Baron. Then il go to the ravine area where the King of the Wolves story takes part. There I will check to see how the growth is of the plants over there including the fools parsley, if its not grown back (after almost 500 hours later) then there is probably the problem. If it has grown back then there is probably an other problem?

Last edited:
The old problem of programming (everything consists of 0 and 1 :dizzy:; I know how It is, but to be honest it's always hard to believe for me... So don't trust a 0 or a 1... :lol: ) Nevertheless have nice holidays and enjoy your game... :cheers2:

The old problem of programming (everything consists of 0 and 1 :dizzy:; I know how It is, but to be honest it's always hard to believe for me... So don't trust a 0 or a 1... :lol: ) Nevertheless have nice holidays and enjoy your game... :cheers2:

Allright, I did reload my savegame and as Geralt went to the ravine where the whole Ciri The King of the Wolves takes part. Well the fools parsley plants have NOT grown back. All the other plants have but again the fools Parsley have not.

I do hope this problem can be fixed by our friends of CD Project RED in a next patch or something. Because this IS a MAIN quest bug, not really a BREAKING MAIN quest bug but for someone who does NOT want any red failed messages in his log this IS a BREAKING one.

Mannnnn now I am at a stump, I really do want to play on, and finish the baron part but I cant finish Ciri's King of the Wolves quest. So what I will do is reload my savegame again and play on and skip the Baron part hoping it will be patched before I start with the Baron part...

Last edited:
I would try the following:

- reload to before I talked with the baron for this chat and cutscene.
- travel to that "wolf king"-area and check the status of the plants (don't pick any flowers)
- leave the area; back to Lindenvale or so
- do a mix of save/reload , client restart , fast traveling , traveling back to Vizima/White Orchard, meditation
- travel back to the area and check the status of the plants

Fool's parleys is one of the plants that grow back reluctantly indeed, but it does grow back eventually. Save/reload, restarts, fast travels, leaving the map and meditation are all triggers that make plants (and wildlife) eventually grow back.

Hope that helps. :)

Oh, my response overlapped with your posting. Hope it helps anyway. :)

I would try the following:

- reload to before I talked with the baron for this chat and cutscene.
- travel to that "wolf king"-area and check the status of the plants (don't pick any flowers)
- leave the area; back to Lindenvale or so
- do a mix of save/reload , client restart , fast traveling , traveling back to Vizima/White Orchard, meditation
- travel back to the area and check the status of the plants

Fool's parleys is one of the plants that grow back reluctantly indeed, but it does grow back eventually. Save/reload, restarts, fast travels, leaving the map and meditation are all triggers that make plants (and wildlife) eventually grow back.

Hope that helps. :)

Oh, my response overlapped with your posting. Hope it helps anyway. :)

Dear Lytha,

Thank you for your information. I did do the reload before talking to the baron part. I did go back to the Wolf King area and the fools Parsley has not grown back yet (in like 500 hours of gaming) BUT! what I have not done yet THIS time is to reload, go to an other area, by fast traveling, going back to the white orchard, meditate etc soooo I will do that and see what happens. Il post my results in a little bit

Dear Lytha,

Ok, I did the following.

1. Reload my savegame before talking to the baron.
2. Medidate there for a whole day.
3. Save, Reload
4. Go to white Orchard.
5. Meditate,
6. Save, Reload
7. Medidate
8. Save REload
9. Fasttravel and go to Ravine Area. Plants where all there even the bear thats there (respawned) but the Fools Parsley not regrown.
10. After killing Bear, Medidate,
11. Save, reload
12. Medidate again, (after which the bear respawned again)

After all this still no Fools Parsley :(

---------- Updated at 10:25 PM ----------

Well, I was just exploring somewhat more through the landscape somewhat to the north near the Inn near the crossroads (going north over the river to explore the north part of this map) and I noticed something.

I noticed that every Fools Parsley Plant I encounter before and has been picked by me is still being displayed as PICKED and thus is not respawning.
I made af FRAPS movie to show you check this: https://youtu.be/KDw6V-FfZ5A

I will watch out on my travels across the river to see if I encounter any Fools Parsley plants that are normal but I wonder.... It looks like there is a bug in there somewhere that does not allow Fools Parsley Plants to respawn / regrow

---------- Updated at 11:04 PM ----------

Alright, I did encounter a grown Fools Parsley Plant just a little further from the starting point previously shown in the movie. Well I did the whole zhazam again, with that I mean, save, reload, meditate, fast travel etc etc but still no respawning of the Fools Parsley So I am encountering a game wide bug which stops the Fools Parsley Plant from regrowing / respawning.

I have made a FRAPS movie of what I have done and uploaded it here https://youtu.be/RjRGkyt47RA

I hope anyone can help with this STUPID and irritating and Sort of MAIN quest breaking bug!

Hm... too bad that this didn't make the plants respawn.

Question: It's just a red X on a quest objective, not a failed quest?

Hm... too bad that this didn't make the plants respawn.

Question: It's just a red X on a quest objective, not a failed quest?

Dear Lytha,

I know its "Just" a red X on a quest objective, but that means you have forgotten to do something which also in SOME cases means you miss out on XP.
For instance, in the White Orchard, part of the main quest, is to find out what happened to the Nilfs and to do that you need to find the Hunter and ask him to show you stuff. Well, this doesnt happen if you explore everything (including the dead griffins nest) first. You do miss out on XP that way.

Besides that the game should be working right, the quest should be working right, and one should be able to finish a quest with every point found, researched and finished to get the full experience and XP points.
It is a bug I encountered and should be fixed :)

Yes, you miss out on XP and additional information (about Florian) in White Orchard in that situation. There are more cases of this. For instance, if you wander accidentally into the mine of the Missing Brother quest before even starting this witcher contract, you miss out on the opportunity to haggle the price. Losing out on some crowns. Or Morkwark / Missing Persons on Hjindarsfall can also be an absolute mess if you want to see and do every single objective of every single quest. Or Redania's Most Wanted - at least one red X is going to happen in any event, I guess.

But, as long as the quest does not break by that and it only results in a red X on a minor objective of the quest's progress, the harm should be considered to be insignificant, really.

A failed quest is one thing. A red X on a single insignificant objective in the middle of those 300 finished quests is another. ;)

Can you still defeat the wolf king in the flashback without that cursed oil? Does the questlog close the quest properly?

Or are you really stuck in a limbo now and can't enter the wolf king's lair and thus can't end the flashback?

Yes, you miss out on XP and additional information (about Florian) in White Orchard in that situation. There are more cases of this. For instance, if you wander accidentally into the mine of the Missing Brother quest before even starting this witcher contract, you miss out on the opportunity to haggle the price. Losing out on some crowns. Or Morkwark / Missing Persons on Hjindarsfall can also be an absolute mess if you want to see and do every single objective of every single quest. Or Redania's Most Wanted - at least one red X is going to happen in any event, I guess.

But, as long as the quest does not break by that and it only results in a red X on a minor objective of the quest's progress, the harm should be considered to be insignificant, really.

A failed quest is one thing. A red X on a single insignificant objective in the middle of those 300 finished quests is another. ;)

Can you still defeat the wolf king in the flashback without that cursed oil? Does the questlog close the quest properly?

Or are you really stuck in a limbo now and can't enter the wolf king's lair and thus can't end the flashback?

Dear Lytha,

Thank you for responding :)

I do have to say that well I dont know about you but until now I have been able to prevent ANY Red X's in my journal / quest logs. I just went though all the quests I have done so far ( I just reached level 15 and I have explored the Whole of White Orchard, and the Whole south of the map of Velen. I still have to explore everything North of Ursten and East of OXenfurt so I know there are still a lot of quests and stuff in front of me.

I still have to do ALLOT of main quests (still have not done the entire Baron part because of this bug, I have not done the In Ciri's Footsteps part etc etc soo there is still enough to do. And with that I do still believe it / I should be able to do all these quests and get the full experience without getting a RED X :)

You are right in saying that I AM able to defeat the Wolf King in the quest The King of the Wolves, but I am not able to do it the way it should be. I am playing the game on Death March and every little drop of XP is needed to level up. Besides this I am a perfectionist so I should just be able to finish every quest without Red Xes :)

Sooo NO I am not stuck in Limbo, I CAN finish the King of the Wolves quest, but NOT in the way it should be. So what I did (I did this before with the White Orchard where I completely started over) is reload a savegame BEFORE I met the Baron and am now exploring everything north of Ursten because there is enough to see and do over there, enough quests and XP to gather and I do hope in the mean while that the developers of this beautiful game will take notice of my Fools Parsley problem and help me to fix it and thus fix my Ciri The King of the Wolves quest :)

Hm. You do not miss out on XP in this case for this Red X. Also, if you let the Velen main quest sit idle until you outleveled them too badly, you lose far more XP than you might by missing out on a single objective in that flashback.

You only get 5% or so of the normal XP for a grey quest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom