No Footstep Audio

+
After multiple patches, this same bug still persist for me. The footstep audio simply cuts out completely. It used to be I could fix it by reloading a save, or restarting the game, but now it is consistently broken no matter what I do. Does anyone else have this? Seems very strange for such a noticeable bug to persist for this long.
Post automatically merged:

Please disregard this thread. I found the issue was related to a mod and have now fixed it.

Last edited:
May I ask which mod related?

Considering the guy hasn't been online since that day, I doubt you'll get an answer from him.

For me, when I experienced that bug it was CET related. Since then, CET was updated to fix this though. I had a quick look and from what I can see it wasn't reintroduced in a newer version of CET.

Hopefully you know exactly which mods you installed as your best bet is to go through their individual pages and check if anyone else is reporting this. If you're lucky, someone else is and they can confirm removing it fixed the audio issue. If you're unlucky.... it can be any combination of mods you're using causing this. Unfortunately, there is no conflict detector tool available (as far as I know anyway) and you'll have to go through them one at a time until you find the culprit(s).

Also keep in mind that removing mods doesn't not effectively remove all traces of them and it's entirely possible the only way you'll get back the footstep audio is through a clean install. It's also possible you will have to restart a new game too. It's really hard to tell until you find which mod is causing the issue.

Try using the Xaudio api via the "sound" tab in the settings instead. Solved some missing effects like footsteps and shattering glass for me and it has a generally better dynamic range/mix with the same sound preset. I'm not using mods btw. Also don't have any audio enhancements or spatial audio enabled in the OS.

Last edited:
Not sure if this necro is worthwhile or not...but it's drawn attention, so let's see:

Newer versions of Windows (10 and 11) have a "Virtual Surround Sound" option that doesn't always play nicely with games. Depending on the title, the positional audio for things like distance or rear can be very, very quiet. Disabling this option in Windows Sound Settings may have an effect. In general, disable any and all "Enhancements" if having and issue like this and see if it has any effect.

Also, disable "Loudness Equalization" if it's enabled. That has the opposite effect of this issue, and is often the cause of certain sounds being too loud.

Top Bottom