No point in playing arena unless you have at least 15 gold cards

+
The game leaves too much to chance with random generator of cards.

Decks with too many golds have a significant advantage which will be obvious when you get to round 7-9.

If you are playing for rewards, it makes no sense playing if you don't have at least 15 gold cards and some synergy. Better break the contract and start over, O'Dimm will forgive you.

every time I play arena I end up tilting bc it seems like my opponents had ridiculous luck in their drafts and my pile is complete garbage^^

The game leaves too much to chance with random generator of cards.

Decks with too many golds have a significant advantage which will be obvious when you get to round 7-9.

If you are playing for rewards, it makes no sense playing if you don't have at least 15 gold cards and some synergy. Better break the contract and start over, O'Dimm will forgive you.

I agree this is an issue, but it’s not the only issue. I have had a ton of golds with no synergy Whatsoever. Sure having 10 golds in hand is an advantage, but only to the extent that the individual gold can out generate a bronze. For example, having a bunch of play for 7 or 8 doesn’t help when you are facing a deck that has a ton of thrive and plays for more long round value. The key is the balance between volume of gold and synergy.

Arena seemed a lot more balanced in Open Beta. I think there were several reasons for this -
  • Bronze, Silver and Gold cards were far closer to each other in overall power.
  • The draft had guaranteed Gold or Silver cards at certain points of the drafting process, resulting in less variance.
  • Most of the leader cards were viable as their abilities were less tied to specific archetypes. There were also far less of them, especially ones with abilities that were bad in Arena.
A lot of these factors changed with Homecoming, but Arena's drafting mechanics didn't adapt. The tiny change to allow picking of the leader at the start of the draft helped slightly, but not much.

Agreed... losing to an all gold hand is bad, but what really makes an arena deck good is tutors... especially the good ones.

Last seasonal arena I had double Amphibious assault, double oniermancy, and alzurs double cross. My 4 other NR cards were bronzes, but With AA boosting them they easily pushed the 15 and 16 gold decks I faced and my consistency was off the chart.

Still, i did have 11 gold cards in that deck even with 5 of them being tutors... so you do need a good draft... but i had great nr engine bronzes which won me most games.

The variance is pretty extreme. I've seen as low as 7 and as high as 16 golds when drafting in Arena. I definitely wouldn't be opposed to them adding either a gold card limit or even better a total provision limit for the drafted deck so that decks felt more even.
I don't know why it takes years to implement. At the moment the brains and skill just do not matter if you have a lucky draw in Arena.

I just got 9 wins with the most ridiculous Guerrilla Tactics/Regis list xD.

Shout out to allgod+roach and caranthir/mutated hound :p

this was a 15 gold deck for the record

I just got 9 wins with the most ridiculous Guerrilla Tactics/Regis list xD.

Shout out to allgod+roach and caranthir/mutated hound :p

this was a 15 gold deck for the record

I got 9 wins with 11 golds just now as well. Its really about card quality and knowing when you should pass more than anything.

Guest 4368268

Homecoming has improved over time, but Arena in Homecoming is only feeling progressively more awkward.
The introduction of Syndicate and the changes to leaders to only work with cards from its own faction have made Arena feel more unpolished than ever before. Jason Slama has acknowledged as much and has said that it's on their agenda. Like you said, the variance can be pretty crazy. One draft you've got four Dandelion Poets and the next you get seven fortune tellers :think:

I like Arena, even though I don't usually do that well. I mainly look on Arena as a "just for fun" format that helps me learn about cards I may not own, or even see very often in opponent's decks. I don't really expect it to be fair. I just hope that, once in a while, it will be unfair in my favor.

Top Bottom