No Steam, please!

+
Most of my games reside on steam & personally I like to have the major of my gaming library to be with one provider. Also, the list of issues you have (which were only two) with steam both possess existing solutions. I'm not saying they're perfect, but the alternatives are there at least.

As long as there's an easy way to play the game WITHOUT being on-line or logged into Steam (i.e. the way you can play Skyrim) I'm fine with Steam.
But I really, REALLY, REALLY hate being unable to play a game I paid for unless I'm on-line and logged into Steam.

I hate having to remain online to play a single-player game. Plus, I like to choose when I update and not have to wait while junk gets crammed down my throat from Little Brother. Maybe I only have a little time to play, do I want to wait while Steam Launcher updates? NO!

Steam has an offline mode. You can also tell Steam not to automatically download game updates for all games or individual games that you specify.

If you've never bothered to research any of this then why do you think your opinion should be considered?

Steam has an offline mode. You can also tell Steam not to automatically download game updates for all games or individual games that you specify.

If you've never bothered to research any of this then why do you think your opinion should be considered?

He's still partially correct.
The offline mode in Steam has frequently been unreliable. It's a lot better now than it used to be, but there are still problems if you stay offline for a long time. Steam still tries to update the Steam client, even if you're offline, and that can lock you out if it decides it Really Must and you have no connection.

And there's also a long tradition of games not honouring the "No Update" flag. Again, it's improved, but it's recent enough for people to remember it.

(And in these forums, there are plenty of people, including me, who remember when TW2 had a mandatory Online requirement on Steam for several months because of a conflict between a CDPR-induced launcher bug and the way Steam worked)

He's still partially correct.
The offline mode in Steam has frequently been unreliable. It's a lot better now than it used to be, but there are still problems if you stay offline for a long time. Steam still tries to update the Steam client, even if you're offline, and that can lock you out if it decides it Really Must and you have no connection.

And there's also a long tradition of games not honouring the "No Update" flag. Again, it's improved, but it's recent enough for people to remember it.

(And in these forums, there are plenty of people, including me, who remember when TW2 had a mandatory Online requirement on Steam for several months because of a conflict between a CDPR-induced launcher bug and the way Steam worked)

True. Maybe I was a little too harsh. But it's not like Cyberpunk 2077 is coming out any time soon really. The offline mode and download options are pretty reliable these days and we can only assume they'll continue to be improved until the game comes out.

I just don't like the idea that someone would request the game doesn't come out on Steam instead of requesting an option to play the game without Steam.

Am I the only one here who never faced problems as regards to the online/offline thing? I have pretty bad internet, and yet never faced this problem. Or maybe it's plain luck?

Besides, that's a very naive thing to say. You'll get it in the other mentioned ways too, all are happy :)

Am I the only one here who never faced problems as regards to the online/offline thing? I have pretty bad internet, and yet never faced this problem. Or maybe it's plain luck?

Besides, that's a very naive thing to say. You'll get it in the other mentioned ways too, all are happy :)

Never had any problem with steam, but i have like 2 or 3 games there and i log in once every X months

Example : If I wanted to play Skyrim in off-line mode I HAD the be on-line to tell Steam I want to play off-line.
If by chance I forgot to tell it this when on-line I was totally unable access/play the game at all.

Example : If I wanted to play Skyrim in off-line mode I HAD the be on-line to tell Steam I want to play off-line.
If by chance I forgot to tell it this when on-line I was totally unable access/play the game at all.

I agree, it was really, really crap, but luckily Valve realised that too. This was scrapped over a year ago - if you were online the last time you launched Steam, but today there's no internet connection, it will give you the option to go offline.

I agree, it was really, really crap, but luckily Valve realised that too. This was scrapped over a year ago - if you were online the last time you launched Steam, but today there's no internet connection, it will give you the option to go offline.

I used to hate Steam for that.. Now i think about it, it has been a long time since i used Steam.. I haven't been able to play any games lately..

Steam can act unreliably at times, whether you want to play online or not, so it's understandable that some people have complaints. But like others have said, you will be able to buy the game DRM-free, so yay :]

There is literally nothing about this game that doesn't excite me.

I absolutely love GOG, but If I buy Cyberpunk 2077 on PC It's prolly going to be from steam. I'd be happy to see it on both platforms.

I've had problems with the GOG downloader when it comes to larger filesizes, and I prefer buying older games from them anyway.

Considering the 25 GB size of Witcher 2, and the graphical fidelity CDPR intends to give to Cyberpunk, the filesize might be HUGE.

I hate having to remain online to play a single-player game. Plus, I like to choose when I update and not have to wait while junk gets crammed down my throat from Little Brother. Maybe I only have a little time to play, do I want to wait while Steam Launcher updates? NO!

I prefer to have my games on steam so they are in my steam library at all times so I never have to worry about using or losing a disc.

Also steam has an offline mode, just saying. They should put it on steam in my opinion. There is nothing wrong with steam.

Also you can turn automatic updates off....

I prefer to have my games on steam so they are in my steam library at all times so I never have to worry about using or losing a disc.

Also steam has an offline mode, just saying. They should put it on steam in my opinion. There is nothing wrong with steam.

Also you can turn automatic updates off....

Well, looking at your other posts, you're probably going to have to choose between "No DRM" and "Steam", as the two are mutually exclusive. If you want No DRM, then it'll probably need to be GoG or retail. The Steam version will almost certainly come with the standard Steam DRM.

Well, looking at your other posts, you're probably going to have to choose between "No DRM" and "Steam", as the two are mutually exclusive. If you want No DRM, then it'll probably need to be GoG or retail. The Steam version will almost certainly come with the standard Steam DRM.

steam isn't drm other than needing a connection to download the game, after that you can play in offline mode. My only beef with DRM are the ones that need you to be constantly connected in order to play (sim city, diablo 3), steam doesn't do that so I don't have a problem with it. You can launch steam in offline mode just fine, you don't need to be online if you've already installed the game.

Top Bottom