No Subway in Cyberpunk 2077

+

What is your reaction to this news?

• Happy about the removal of subways and trains

• Indifferent about the removal of subways and trains

• Disapointed about the removal of subways and trains

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oh yeah its been ultra hyped by everyone. But Projekt Red have contributed their fare share of it, comparing it to Witcher 3, and how they're going all out, likening the game to GTA etc etc. Can't be bothered to find there numerous articles and statements but its out there...
Well, yes they set out to one up themselves and said they took inspiration from Rockstar (or something like that). They never said they'll deliver something groundbreaking.
That's on you for not managing your expectations.

No subway in Cyberpunk

But there will be a Burger King still, right?

No but seriously. This is a bummer. I despise the sort of easygoing teleportation fast travel. A subway systems for sightseeing (and possibly specific random encounters, idle chatter and even the ability to jump off is something interesting is happening on the street) with an option to doze off for the trip would've been golden.

But there will be a Burger King still, right?

No but seriously. This is a bummer. I despise the sort of easygoing teleportation fast travel. A subway systems for sightseeing (and possibly specific random encounters, idle chatter and even the ability to jump off is something interesting is happening on the street) with an option to doze off for the trip would've been golden.

I actually thought about it, and maybe it is a way to force (driving) events on the player?

I actually thought about it, and maybe it is a way to force (driving) events on the player?

Might be, and random driving "events" might be just well and good, but I don't see the point in "forcing" them that way when one is not doing a mission.

I kinda had anticipated that I wouldn't need to use car all that much; and hoped that "fast travel" would not be a cheap what-ever feature that has no gameplay relevance or intrigue to it what so ever.

Might be, and random driving "events" might be just well and good, but I don't see the point in "forcing" them that way when one is not doing a mission.

Well, they could have done that with a lots of things using an "event based story" but preferred to go the "character based story" road. It would actually be the same kind of choice: easy and efficient "staging" (not sur about that word) over some more player freedom.

I am really disappointed. It will remove immersion, realism, and most importantly climate, atmosphere, certain experience from the game. If you can, delay the release again. Rockstar Games will outdo anything in the future if such things are missing, including car customization. You can customize your character any way you like, but you can't customize cars? It seems the game will miss a lot of things, and the release won't be complete, sadly.

Last edited:
I was pretty disappointed by it. Not as a fast travel option, but the lack of subways at all. I usually dont use fast travel. I was looking forward to being able to explore the NCART system and hop on trains to see a unique view of the city.

I think back to games like RDR2 and GTA IV, which had passenger trains you could ride and didn't have to fast travel in. It was a fun way to get around and explore, and the stations themselves made interesting locations to visit and for things to occur. Shootouts, brawls, deals etc. It'll be pretty sad that we cant even access the stations or trains given how prominent they were in the advertising material and their significant mention in the 2020 Night City Sourcebook. They're a major form of transport and would have made for a very immersive method of getting around.

GTA IV's Liberty City Subway was great. You could use it as fast travel or regular travel. You could run into subway stations to evade cops or engage in shootouts. (In fact, one of the biggest missions in the game has you break into a subway maintenance access to use the subway tunnels to help evade cops after a bank heist).

RDR2's trains were a fast travel too, just as the stagecoach was, but trains had so much more there. While the whole train robbery thing doesnt fit a city public transit train (unless you count a mugging on the train), the trains could be hopped on at a station and you could simply walk around, take a seat, relax and enjoy the journey. Watch the scenery go by from station to station as an immersive part of the open world game.

It might not seem like a huge loss in the wider scope of things, but given the prevalence of the metro in advertising as well as the existence of railroad public transit in other prominent open world games, it definitely is a large hit to the immersive nature of the game.

Good way to lift the spirits by adding the subway as a dlc or part of an expansion - there’s more time flesh out something good from it.

It has been confirmed in an interview by Gamestar with Level Designer Miles Tost they have confirmed there will be no subways or ridable trains in Cyberpunk 2077. I personally found this to be surprising considering how prominently it had been shown in Advertising campaigns for the game. What do yall think about the news?

Source: https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/cyberpunk-2077-ubahn-fahren-schnellreisen,3348838.html
I kinda wish it was going to be part of the game. Partly so we could maybe have some interesting gameplay scenarios, and partly to increase the immersion of the game, but at this point, I just want it to release already. I know this game isn't RDR2 or GTA, but I would have loved to have the option of hijacking and robbing a city train.

I kinda wish it was going to be part of the game. Partly so we could maybe have some interesting gameplay scenarios, and partly to increase the immersion of the game, but at this point, I just want it to release already. I know this game isn't RDR2 or GTA, but I would have loved to have the option of hijacking and robbing a city train.
I dunno, lacking subway in an urban area is something I personally see as kinda dystopian. I used to live in one city in Russia that has subway, but it's miniscule, shitty and barely used. I can easily imagine the minds and hands behind Night City finding a 'better' use of the money they'd otherwise spend on something as expensive.

I dunno, lacking subway in an urban area is something I personally see as kinda dystopian. I used to live in one city in Russia that has subway, but it's miniscule, shitty and barely used. I can easily imagine the minds and hands behind Night City finding a 'better' use of the money they'd otherwise spend on something as expensive.
Thing is, the subway IS there, its just not available for us to explore or use. But otherwise, the NCART metro system is there.

I was pretty disappointed by it. Not as a fast travel option, but the lack of subways at all. I usually dont use fast travel. I was looking forward to being able to explore the NCART system and hop on trains to see a unique view of the city.

I think back to games like RDR2 and GTA IV, which had passenger trains you could ride and didn't have to fast travel in. It was a fun way to get around and explore, and the stations themselves made interesting locations to visit and for things to occur. Shootouts, brawls, deals etc. It'll be pretty sad that we cant even access the stations or trains given how prominent they were in the advertising material and their significant mention in the 2020 Night City Sourcebook. They're a major form of transport and would have made for a very immersive method of getting around.

GTA IV's Liberty City Subway was great. You could use it as fast travel or regular travel. You could run into subway stations to evade cops or engage in shootouts. (In fact, one of the biggest missions in the game has you break into a subway maintenance access to use the subway tunnels to help evade cops after a bank heist).

RDR2's trains were a fast travel too, just as the stagecoach was, but trains had so much more there. While the whole train robbery thing doesnt fit a city public transit train (unless you count a mugging on the train), the trains could be hopped on at a station and you could simply walk around, take a seat, relax and enjoy the journey. Watch the scenery go by from station to station as an immersive part of the open world game.

It might not seem like a huge loss in the wider scope of things, but given the prevalence of the metro in advertising as well as the existence of railroad public transit in other prominent open world games, it definitely is a large hit to the immersive nature of the game.
I gotta wholeheartedly agree. :giveup:

Yeah, I am a train traveller in the wild west, for instance. I hoped to be a Cyberpunk metro traveller. This is big if you compare yourself to those big games. Something is missing. Immersion not the same anymore. I wanted to feel that dark underground metro, all those sounds. Just walk and explore inside in the first person. Basically, I wanted to feel like in a movie. Even more. Get that special feeling in CP. A game can do a lot more with it. The whole system that you can interact with. Part of the gameplay, too.

Last edited:
When they said in the new Night City Wire episode "How many stations does the NCART system have?" I got sad again :(
Post automatically merged:

In retrospect, having looked at www.nightcity.love I do wonder if the NCART system will be back in the game at all or something? It seems a little odd that they would mention it in the latest Night City Wire and then prominently mention it on that website about Night City if they don't intend to have it as anything more than a set piece in the city. Heres hoping? Lmao

metro1-4d446212.jpg

NCART station that we can kinda see inside of to a degree, so maybe they're back?

metro2-26b4938a.jpg

But also the tourist terminals that replaced NCART as fast travel according to interviews.

Maybe we'll get the best of both worlds with fast travel from the terminals and useable, non fast travel metros trains

You can see these as well as NCART info on www.nightcity.love

Last edited:
When they said in the new Night City Wire episode "How many stations does the NCART system have?" I got sad again :(

In retrospect, having looked at www.nightcity.love I do wonder if the NCART system will be back in the game at all or something? It seems a little odd that they would mention it in the latest Night City Wire and then prominently mention it on that website about Night City if they don't intend to have it as anything more than a set piece in the city. Heres hoping? Lmao

View attachment 11060171
NCART station that we can kinda see inside of to a degree, so maybe they're back?

View attachment 11060174
But also the tourist terminals that replaced NCART as fast travel according to interviews.

Maybe we'll get the best of both worlds with fast travel from the terminals and useable, non fast travel metros trains

You can see these as well as NCART info on www.nightcity.love
This would be really cool :D

Thing is, the subway IS there, its just not available for us to explore or use. But otherwise, the NCART metro system is there.

Not sure if subway is the right term, but there are monorail tracks in the air all over. Also in the NC post cards. I am somewhat saddened that we don't get to ride it, but I can imagine it being reserved for those with the money.

I think back to games like RDR2 and GTA IV, which had passenger trains you could ride and didn't have to fast travel in.

In RDR2 online, the trains travel around the map and stop at stations. You can climb on them and travel on them in real time.
Only there aren't any passenger trains, its just cargo, which makes me disappointed. Feels like a missed opportunity I hope Rockstar expands on eventually.

Not sure if subway is the right term, but there are monorail tracks in the air all over. Also in the NC post cards. I am somewhat saddened that we don't get to ride it, but I can imagine it being reserved for those with the money.

In RDR2 online, the trains travel around the map and stop at stations. You can climb on them and travel on them in real time.
Only there aren't any passenger trains, its just cargo, which makes me disappointed. Feels like a missed opportunity I hope Rockstar expands on eventually.
RDR2 Singleplayer has passenger trains you can ride.

Also, the NCART system us legitimately in lore the cheapest way to travel Night City.

Check www.nightcity.love
They mention it there.

There's a bunch of screenshots that show the NCART track.
nlc-scr-2-m.jpg
nlc-scr-6-m.jpg
nlc-scr-7-m.jpg
metro3-3a067101.jpg

It would honestly be a huge missed opportunity to NOT let the player ride the NCART. The views it would give of Night City would be unparalleled, imagine how beautiful this area above would look from inside the train?

Also in the NC post cards. I am somewhat saddened that we don't get to ride it, but I can imagine it being reserved for those with the money.
"NCART, or Night City Area Rapid Transit, is a slick means for fast travel around town. Throngs of people use it everyday, as it is the cheapest and often most convenient way to get where they need to get, when they need to get there. The system boasts many access points that form a net extending over the entire city and will whisk you from one to the other with as little hassle and headache as pulling up the latest hits on BlastDance."

Last edited:
RDR2 Singleplayer has passenger trains you can ride.

Also, the NCART system us legitimately in lore the cheapest way to travel Night City.

Check www.nightcity.love
They mention it there.

There's a bunch of screenshots that show the NCART track.
View attachment 11060234View attachment 11060237View attachment 11060240View attachment 11060243

It would honestly be a huge missed opportunity to NOT let the player ride the NCART. The views it would give of Night City would be unparalleled, imagine how beautiful this area above would look from inside the train?

"NCART, or Night City Area Rapid Transit, is a slick means for fast travel around town. Throngs of people use it everyday, as it is the cheapest and often most convenient way to get where they need to get, when they need to get there. The system boasts many access points that form a net extending over the entire city and will whisk you from one to the other with as little hassle and headache as pulling up the latest hits on BlastDance."
I agree it would be sad if we really don't eventually get to ride it.

Top Bottom