No Subway in Cyberpunk 2077

+

What is your reaction to this news?

• Happy about the removal of subways and trains

• Indifferent about the removal of subways and trains

• Disapointed about the removal of subways and trains

Results are only viewable after voting.
It has been confirmed in an interview by Gamestar with Level Designer Miles Tost they have confirmed there will be no subways or ridable trains in Cyberpunk 2077. I personally found this to be surprising considering how prominently it had been shown in Advertising campaigns for the game. What do yall think about the news?

Source: https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/cyberpunk-2077-ubahn-fahren-schnellreisen,3348838.html

subways are not entertaining. The main thing people do on subways is read books, use their phones. It wouldn't be a good use of developer time. They'd have to throw a lot of gameplay in there to be worth it.

Cutscenes don't usually represent gameplay, its also clear that they used cgi instead of actors/film for the commercials. I can see now, how this can be problematic, since there is a less obvious difference between commercial and gameplay. Perhaps that needs to be looked in to.
Post automatically merged:

Why was months of work on the train system done than. That's called mismanagement.

the train system was developed from a city environment creating point of view, and work. There are many other layers of work after that in developing the spaces players will actually use. Its not a waste to do that, because thats the job of the environment designers, to create a believable city. Actually making functional player interactable content is a different level of work

Last edited:
I'm disappointed in the lack of the subways ... BUT, I'm understanding, and accepting of it.

Additionally, even if CDPR never ever puts the subways back into the game as a working thing, I kinda have some hopes that the game will have LESS RESTRICTIVE MODDING support in the future.

Why is less restrictive, to full-open-unrestricted modding important?

The Modding Community, given the access and tools, is the Jesus you didn't know you needed, and will not only save your soul from subjective preference frustrations, but, can "save" the game.

With Open-Unrestricted Modding support, modders can, and will add those subways.
Modders will enable Mantis Blade Wall-Climbing too.
You'll get more desctructable environments, new animations, new idles, new textures, 16,497 different clothing options, new apartments, base-building, companions, new quests of various quality, new cars, new paintjobs for cars maybe even auto-shops for immersive paint-job changes, 3rd Person Perspective (already a mod in existence, but, it's silly with the restricted access), new character skeleton models that have more clothing slots for jewelry leggings and much more, new kinds and types of cyberware with appearance changing effects, entirely new quickhacks ... and just so very MUCH more.

Modders, given open-unrestricted modding access will also do tons and tons of really stupid and ridiculous things, but, if having a flying Tommy the Tank Engine come pick you up and fly you around the city is your thing, someone will certainly make that possible. If having boobs so big they clip through the windscreen of your car is your thing, someone will make that possible.
Everything you never knew you wanted or needed, and lots that you don't and won't want, modders ... given open, unrestricted modding support, can provide.
Modders gonna mod.

We do NOT, however, have that level of access right now.
It's not stopping the community from making efforts, creating "Better Driving" solutions, "Walk Toggle", "Dedicated Dodge", some clothing replacers, and some aesthetic appearance things ... but, there's only so much can be done.
That 3rd Person Perspective Mod, for instance ... works ... kinda, but, your character looks like some weirdo blobby squishy rubbery thing without bones. Some less restrictive access for modding could fix that and make something actually presentable.
There's a live-reflection mod too. You can see your reflection and reflections of all the things in anything that's reflective ... except, when you look at yourself, you got NO head. That can be fixed with less restrictive modding. You could have changing rooms at clothing shops where you try things on and have live mirrors to see how well you can rock ... whatever style you choose.
... and, as far as shops go, they could get got modded too to actually act like real stores with specific, stable, predictable lines of clothing so it's less random, with bigger selections, but, select shops could offer Bespoke Custom Tailoring which could be an immersive mechanic for elevating the rarity of clothing items at a price ... even up to Legendary with full slots.
Same goes for gujn shops.

I could go on with ideas for selling cars you have but don't need/want to used car shops for some extra eddies, pawn shops for items you can do without or can't use because you're too low level, but, you want to keep them and could use the cash for putting them in hock to buy back later ... and much more, but, in the end, there's a ton of things Modders COULD do ... like the trains, BUT, we don't have open-unrestricted modding support.

Will we get that support? Maybe, but, i suspect not. We never got that level of access for The Witcher 3, so, evidence would indicate what we have is what we will always have, and, that's a little sad.

Mass Transit is very clearly a cut part of the game you can see remnants of it all over the city, even bugged trains disappearing mid-air or going into walls, countless stations with blocked entry/exit gates, etc...

Just another clear example the game was rushed to the finish line and they were cutting everything they could in the run up to release. No amount of lies that it was just a creative decision to not put it in is cutting it and CDPR is just digging a deeper hole for themselves.

I am indifferent to not having them because as the game currently is they wouldn't serve anymore purpose then driving or walking currently does, however, I wouldn't mind having them with these two conditions:

1. Complete Removal of Fast Travel Points
2. Things of value and importance that give value to traveling beyond just cool looking stuff to see.

All transportation methods(walking/driving) have next to 0 value so long as FTP are part of the game given their are only subjective reasons not to use FTP.
The mere presents of FTP shows that there is next to nothing of value or importance( I understand this can be subjective) between any given point A and point B. Currently the only thing really "gained" by not using FTP(once you have found them all) is increased game time count.

I would love for FTP to be completely removed and more work put into real transportation methods. Would be so much fun to have a gun fight on a moving subway train or someone car jacks your cab with you in the back seat. But with out content to go with it any new transportation methods will just be superficial just like the current two are.

This is all just my opinion of course so don't go spreading it around chooms :)

Last edited:
I think you're absolutely right. However, I still miss, at the immersion level, being able to use a system that is also perceived as being very close to seeing the light.
Post automatically merged:

I am indifferent to not having them because as the game currently is they wouldn't serve anymore purpose then driving or walking currently does, however, I wouldn't mind having them with these two conditions:

1. Complete Removal of Fast Travel Points
2. Things of value and importance that give value to traveling beyond just cool looking stuff to see.

All transportation methods(walking/driving) have next to 0 value so long as FTP are part of the game given their are only subjective reasons not to use FTP.
The mere presents of FTP shows that there is next to nothing of value or importance( I understand this can be subjective) between any given point A and point B. Currently the only thing really "gained" by not using FTP(once you have found them all) is increased game time count.

I would love for FTP to be completely removed and more work put into real transportation methods. Would be so much fun to have a gun fight on a moving subway train or someone car jacks your cab with you in the back seat. But with out content to go with it any new transportation methods will just be superficial just like the current two are.

This is all just my opinion of course so don't go spreading it around chooms :)

Reminder that if members intend to post in discussions, please do so meaningfully.

If all you have to offer is an eye-roll or a guffaw -- post nothing. Just find a discussion that's more to your liking.

Top Bottom