No XP when overleveled

+
I disagree. As a compleationist I am like 4 levels over main quest and still plenty lower level side quest left to do. If they would give exp I would be like 10 levels over main quest level and combat wouldn't give me challenge (playing on death march)
Didn't notice when exactly XP bug kicked in, but I'm ok just turned 17 before going Skellige, so thx to the bug I'm only 2 levels over now :huh:

I cant see how anyone finds this EXP system logical. It simply isnt. There is no reason to have to follow any quest in any order. The main story has linearity because thats how it was intended, yet why should side quests be structured like that? There should be no reason to punish players for exploring and playing the game at their own pace especially when you craft an "open-world game". These types of games usually feature open ended exploration in which the player decides how to do things and at what rate they want to progress.

The game literally tells you if a quest is too strong go back and go level. not only that but if you do a quest thats higher than your level you get absolutely no exp for doing something above your level. Coupled with the fact that alot of quests DO NOT show up on your map or are locked behind strong enemies until you pass them means there is alot of content and exp that can be missed out wrong because the games leveling system is poorly structured.

After all that you tie many aspects of the game to the leveling system. Gear, resources and ability slots. If i you were gonna hamper down on that why even have it at all?

While i agree with upscaling and freedom of the order you do things without getting punished, i dont think changing the game for everyone is a good solution just hoping modding tools to be released soon so everone can play the game the way they want.

While i agree with upscaling and freedom of the order you do things without getting punished, i dont think changing the game for everyone is a good solution just hoping modding tools to be released soon so everone can play the game the way they want.

modding is perfect if you're on PC, but consoles users would be stuck in the dark without support from the DEVS. we would have literally no other way than to play with a really lame system.

To get facts right: Im not a "Leveling"- or "XP"-wh*ore and i didn't play The Witcher 3 in hope to get a hack & slash like Diablo. Levels, XP, skillpoints are NOT the core of a RPG. According to me, If it fits, a RPG can come completely without that. But in fact The Witcher 3 GOT a Level- and XP-system in a open world with the developers promise I can explore it and questing in it, like I want. So the balance got to be smooth.

"Doing side quests in a specific order" doesn't fit in here! To get punished for do it differently than your list of side quest tells you can't be the right way. So in my opinion there are two ways to re-balance this: Giving some (not ALL) experience points also for grey quests or give more EXP for hard (red) quests.

Last edited:
You're kidding... it's a GREAT thing that grey quests don't give exp. Read the board, LOADS of people are having the problem with far outleveling any challenge even on Death March. We're INTENTIONALLY avoiding quests in order to maintain some challenge to the game. I'm glad to know I can at least go do grey quests without worrying about screwing with the leveling curve.
My hope is that they bump up the exp necessary per level for Death March to be 1.5x what it currently is but in the mean time I'm glad I can do grey quests without exp.

You're kidding... it's a GREAT thing that grey quests don't give exp. Read the board, LOADS of people are having the problem with far outleveling any challenge even on Death March. We're INTENTIONALLY avoiding quests in order to maintain some challenge to the game.

....and this is not a balancing problem? Now YOU are kidding! ;)
And of course someone whos doing more than others gets rewarded with a higher level. Anything else would be strange. The alternative: level-scaling like The Elder Scrolls. Your choice. ^^

This got nothing to do with this thread... like I said in the very first post in the very first sentence.

Last edited:
"Doing side quests in a specific order" doesn't fit in here! To get punished for do it differently than your list of side quest tells you can't be the right way. So in my opinion there are two ways to re-balance this: Giving some (not ALL) experience points also for grey quests or give more EXP for hard (red) quests.

This would be a good compromise. Only half XP if you are overleveled.

You're kidding... it's a GREAT thing that grey quests don't give exp. Read the board, LOADS of people are having the problem with far outleveling any challenge even on Death March. We're INTENTIONALLY avoiding quests in order to maintain some challenge to the game. I'm glad to know I can at least go do grey quests without worrying about screwing with the leveling curve.
My hope is that they bump up the exp necessary per level for Death March to be 1.5x what it currently is but in the mean time I'm glad I can do grey quests without exp.

Yeah, changing the quest system so that grey quests give experience is not a big enough change to fix the problem. All quests could give less experience, or the quests themselves could level up as the Witcher levels up, or another solution.

The only quests I'm skipping that have become greyed out to me are the Horse races and some of the Fist Fights. Other than I try to hit everything.

This would be a good compromise. Only half XP if you are overleveled.

No, I never said "Give me full XP for grey quests mimimi". :D
In some way this also could destroy the balance (doing only mainquests first, let side quests get grey, than doing it with a snap of the fingers.....)
But I think the "All or Nothing" mentality right now isn't fair. If I do a level 10 quest with 15 i get 200 XP. If I do it 5 minutes later with level 16 i get zero. For example:

Grey = 50 % XP
Blue = 75 % XP
Green = 100 % XP
Red = 125 % XP

....or something like that. Like i said: Just for example. With a system like this you don't feel punished, you got an extra motivation für questing (in addition to the narrative reward... both is better than only one ^^), if you do a lot of things you are getting rewarded in getting stronger than other players.... but also, if you don't wanna do everything, you can pick the stuff you want without getting completely lost.

Of course only with this the job isn't done. Maybe CDP should also re-balance the amount of XP for specific quests. For Example: 12 levels of my 32 levels in my 100 hour playthrough i did in a row in 5 hours of mainquest. Thats not what i call "balanced". I think, some quests could need a lower amout of XP reward. So the "grey quest dont gave any XP"-problem is only a part of the whole thing.

I mean: Whats the level cap? 70? Who in here only reached level 40? Why CDP isn't using it's scope? Or they want the other 35 leves for their both DLCs? I don't wanna say they should re-balance it right now so everyone can get level 70. (because than they also need to re-balance the quest levels, monster levels, items and so on). But at least they have a lot of scope.

Last edited:
I was level 15 before i started doing the main quest...the main way to gain exp now...but because it was grey i got no exp so i did side quests ect got to like level spent 20 hours playing Triss and Daneloins quests did all the side quest from level 12-16.

Did all of this to make sure I didn't miss any more exp as I hap fully explored Velen and Novigrad and did all the hidden/ guarded treasure..and abadoned sites I could...exploring left me getting punished for being to high a level for the main quests.

That needs to be fixed but before that please fix it so i can fast travel again since I did a 2 day 20 hour slog to make do all my quests that were almost grey ...I finished and had the game was ready to go exploring Skellige and the game broke. Fast travel =CTD and i have to roll back 20 hours game time to make it work and then i'll have all the quests to do again. >.<

It is quite unfair because if you follow the main quest level requirements(which should give player a hint where one should go to the certain area) you end up on Skellige with half of the quests greyed out for you, because you went there on level 16.

Ah fuck, now I get it. I was too busy enjoying the story that I forgot to give this a look. I finished lot of other quests (many greyed out) to level up before continuing the story. Did level up, but now it makes sense why it was seeming so slow. Guess will give the game a break for the first time since it launched till this is "fixed"

Ah fuck, now I get it. I was too busy enjoying the story that I forgot to give this a look. I finished lot of other quests (many greyed out) to level up before continuing the story. Did level up, but now it makes sense why it was seeming so slow. Guess will give the game a break for the first time since it launched till this is "fixed"

Are you planning on not playing it again then? :/

Top Bottom