No XP when overleveled

+
Some people are missing the point.

We do know why the game do not give XP when you do a lower level quest. Also to note, most people do not do low level quests at high level to 'Streamroll'. Quest become low level mainly because either they explored too much or put more time to main quests.

The point of dicussion is if this is a poor gameplay design, the whole leveling/XP gate. I think it is. I do not think most people are obcessed with XP, but remove XP as a game design to prevent overleveling is poor & duct tape fix solution.

It 'force' people to do quest in certain order in order to play the way the designer want & in a way make you not want to explored more (to prevent yourself from overlevel).

Better solution exist, like how Dragon age do it, by having soft scaling (mobs & quests have a range of levels, say 4-8 ), so you are less likely to be over or underlevel, which open up more freedom on the sequences of how to do your quest. Also, many games have progressively more exp requirement per level, so doing a lower level quest (which yield lower level XP) will not make leveling broken.

CDPR uses a hard & constant exp/level model, which is the root of the many problems, like being overleveling (making game too easy), or monster way too high level, and xp-gate we have now.

Last edited:
Gotta agree with title, really bad design choice here (why would you come up with something like this?).
Punishes the player for...playing the game basically. lol.

ah... Story telling and open world. Most players want both but the two don't really go well together thus frustration by balancing difficulty and points relegation.
The story telling is superb and the open world is actually secondaty in this tale. So from that viewpoint I understand the open worlders complaints.

The open world doesn't matter me so much. The thing THAT IS A MATTER is the greyed quests. This FORCES you to do quests before they gone greyed or you will not get any XP. This is lame. The silence of CDPR team seems obvious: it's a game design so no fix for greye quests.

I'm waiting for a mod.

I see nothing wrong, I see no error in the design.. there's a ton of quests available, why whine over your inability to manage your own quest log.

I see nothing wrong, I see no error in the design.. there's a ton of quests available, why whine over your inability to manage your own quest log.

for one thing, bc this isn't made apparent anywhere. I wouldn't have known if I didn't read the forums... for another bc its nonsensical. if you don't want to be 'overlevelled', you wont waste time doing cheap & easy quests, will you? this just strips the player of choice in a nonsensible way.

---------- Updated at 10:49 AM ----------

I don't get the whole XP issues, personally I stopped playing side quests because I got way too overleveled for the main story lol. XP isn't even a reward, it's more getting new items, recipes, etc...

new items you need a certain amount of XP to use.

think before you post.

The thing THAT IS A MATTER is the greyed quests. This FORCES you to do quests before they gone greyed or you will not get any XP. This is lame.
I have just finished few grey contracts which I left pursuing main quest. Geralt killed monsters, took the loot (scaled to his level btw) and got paid. Fights were easy, so he doesn't learn anything new and got no exp. It seems rational to me. You know, the only thing that forces you to do anything is your mind here ;)

Can you or someone else explain how gear scaling works? When I've returned to low level quests or zones I'm pretty sure the gear have been too low lvl to even wear.

I have just finished few grey contracts which I left pursuing main quest. Geralt killed monsters, took the loot (scaled to his level btw) and got paid. Fights were easy, so he doesn't learn anything new and got no exp. It seems rational to me. You know, the only thing that forces you to do anything is your mind here ;)
I'm still getting lot of grayed quests. I think it will be hard for me to get armor/weapons where requires very high levels.

What happened to the Baldur's Gate method? There were hard areas, there were easier areas. You were free to explore any area you like in whatever order you liked. Quests and monsters always gave the same experience, regardless of your level, but the amount of experience you need to level up scaled up which kept the balance.

I remember going to the ankheg area when I was still level 2 and getting slaughtered. It was pretty intense, and I just decided to go back later. I didn't need the game to literally tell me what level a certain quest, monster or area is. I really, really do not like this, It feels really "hand-holdy" and "gamey". Can it be turned off?

I really don't see this as a problem. When doing quests at your own level, you get a ton of experience, to much actually in my opinion. You level so fast in this game, that I really do not mind at all not getting any exp for lower level quests. I don't see it as punishing the player at all.

It's a problem because main story quests give a ton of XP, and being screwed out of that XP because you're a few levels higher, is not fair. You're meant to have a certain amount of XP after finishing certain main quests, which translates into a few ability points, so when you do those quests and not get the ton of XP, you're screwed out of ability points (= skills) that you were supposed to have after you finished those quests.

@ razorpakk
I know exactly what your getting at here. I have been toying with this Idea myself. Ever since playing elderscrolls where everything levels with you. I thought whats the point in having experience and leveling if everything levels with you? Its unnecessary you could gain skills abillities in other ways and you would get the same effect.

Last edited:
I agree completely with this. also not mentioning quest level before accepting the contract I also find stupid! Because this makes me hesitant to accept multiple contracts, as I hate having a bunch of quests heaped up in my quest log that I'm unable to do. and I also find the disconnection between location and quest level making it even harder to predict the contract level...

This correlates to the fact that all of a sudden there's a low level quest level in a "high level" area. that's suddenly gray, and you won't get exp from it. The only way to fix this is to run around to EVERY contract board pick up every contract there is and just wait for you to level up to each individual contracts level. which I find VERY immersion breaking

for one thing, bc this isn't made apparent anywhere. I wouldn't have known if I didn't read the forums... for another bc its nonsensical. if you don't want to be 'overlevelled', you wont waste time doing cheap & easy quests, will you? this just strips the player of choice in a nonsensible way.

---------- Updated at 10:49 AM ----------

new items you need a certain amount of XP to use.

think before you post.

I had full master set by the end of the game and there wasn't any better armor that required a higher level to finish the game. I think I did like 2 side quests the whole time, so like CDPR said, XP is not a problem there are plenty of side quests even if you have a ton of grey ones.

It's a problem because main story quests give a ton of XP, and being screwed out of that XP because you're a few levels higher, is not fair. You're meant to have a certain amount of XP after finishing certain main quests, which translates into a few ability points, so when you do those quests and not get the ton of XP, you're screwed out of ability points (= skills) that you were supposed to have after you finished those quests.

From what I heard straight from CDPR, it happens when you are way underleveled or overleveled mostly. They even stated and it's been proven, if you don't get the exp go do a couple side quests and you can get the same amount of exp back, it doesn't ruin the game where you can't play for a week because 1 quest doesn't give you exp.

I'm still getting lot of grayed quests. I think it will be hard for me to get armor/weapons where requires very high levels.
It's been proven and they already stated you still can get your levels with the bugs and grey quests, they made it have extra quests on purpose because they don't know exactly which ones you will and will not take or find.

Last edited:
Top Bottom