No XP when overleveled

+
Please explain.

One Example:
One quest that's bugged right now doesn't give you 500 XP right? So people go OMG my lifes over I can't level now? How am I going to live through this horror.
Then you do 1 or 2 side quests and get that 500 XP and your back in the same place as before. Not game breaking at all.

Next Argument
We won't be able to reach a higher level now because we are missing XP! Which is also wrong, if you do side quests the main quests can easily go grey, if you do the main story the side quests can easily go grey. (Grey = no XP) They put enough XP that you can take different paths but in the end SOMETHING will always turn grey and not give you XP. So it does in fact NOT hinder your ability to level or play the game.

You could feel mad, or jipped or whatever but in the end it's how you personally take it. Personal issues with things and Opinions are a lot different than a GAME BREAKING BUG that everyone's yelling wolf about.

I get it I do I just hate how they spread it all over socially, through media and websites giving everyone the wrong idea and making the game look at lot more broken XP wise than it really is.

Don't take my jests personal BTW I've written the info about it so many times I gotta stay entertained.

Last edited:
@ razorpakk
I know exactly what your getting at here. I have been toying with this Idea myself. Ever since playing elderscrolls where everything levels with you. I thought whats the point in having experience and leveling if everything levels with you? Its unnecessary you could gain skills abillities in other ways and you would get the same effect.

The way to fix that with this game is, just have the main story quest level with you, and have the other quests not.

I still think its fine we don't get XP for gray quests. You get over leveled way too fast in this game if you are doing a lot of side quests

Also why are people waiting for main quests to get grayed out. Once you hit the level range for a main quest, DO THEM

One Example:
One quest that's bugged right now doesn't give you 500 XP right? Then you do 1 or 2 side quests and get that 500 XP and your back in the same place as before. Not game breaking at all.

If you do side quests the main quests can easily go grey, if you do the main story the side quests can easily go grey. They put enough XP that you can take different paths but in the end SOMETHING will always turn grey and not give you XP.

Interesting knowledge you have there, so it's question time!
1. You're basically saying that, ultimately, a specific main quest OR a collection of specific side quests (that are EQUIVALENT to that specific main quest) give you the same XP during a level, and it just depends on which quest(s) you chose to do as green (which greys out the other ones). Is that correct?
2. This system is still flawed because main quests and their plentiful XP are a fixed thing, whereas side quests are not. Go figure whether you did the equivalent number of side quests or not! No way to tell. It's just not intuitive or clear. Unless you're saying "it doesn't matter, if you're leveling up then it's WORKING FOR YOU," which just doesn't make sense, I could have leveled up EVEN MORE had I gotten the missing XP I deserve.. Fuck this is confusing.

3. What is the source of your information?
4. If what you're saying is true and it's meant to be this way, then please explain what CDPR is releasing a fix for tomorrow?

Last edited:
1. You're basically saying that, ultimately, a specific main quest OR a collection of specific side quests (that are EQUIVALENT to that specific main quest) give you the same XP during a level, and it just depends on which quest(s) you chose to do as green (which greys out the other ones). Is that correct?
2. This system is still flawed because main quests and their plentiful XP are a fixed thing, whereas side quests are not. Go figure whether you did the equivalent number of side quests or not! No way to tell. It's just not intuitive or clear. Unless you're saying "it doesn't matter, if you're leveling up then it's WORKING FOR YOU," which just doesn't make sense, I could have leveled up EVEN MORE had I gotten the missing XP I deserve.. Fuck this is confusing.

4. If what you're saying is true and it's meant to be this way, then please explain what CDPR is releasing a fix for tomorrow?

From what I know the XP fix, is if the quest is still green or red within the allowed amount of levels you get xp instead of not when it bugs. It doesn't from my knowledge of reading and talking to them change anything that has to do with grey quests. There are a few main quests the mods have even verified that themselves sometimes don't give xp after completion when your within the allowed amount of levels and I'm guessing those are included also.

The missing XP does not stop you from completing the main core story of the game. So I want my reward VS it's a game breaking bug are TWO completely different topics. lol One is personal preference and one keeps you from enjoying the game as it was meant.

Note: They can include other XP tweaks as they can do whatever they want lol from being very active in the forums, twitter, blogs and reddit I have NO knowledge of any such thing.

I AM NOT CDPR nor do I get INSIDE information so all my knowledge is what they let us know publicly.

Last edited:
The reason you do side quests is to level up to do the harder quests, by not giving XP for greyed out quest defeats the purpose of doing them, what should be done is each quest level earns a set amount of XP, eg a level 5 quest earns 100 XP and a level 10 quest earns 200 XP. With an over your level bonus and an under level penalty, eg greyed out quest have a 50% penalty and red quests give a 50% bonus.

I'm with the OP and the other guys here, the system is not good.
Don't get me wrong, I know why they handled it that way and it makes sense to a degree, but I still think they could have handled it better.

I mean in a game where the main XP comes from the quests, with very little being earned from Points of Interests and even less from killing monsters I do think it is a little bit unfortunate they did the system the way it is.

I would definitely have preferred a system where XP are earned regardless of the quest level, but lower quests get you XP reduction and quests higher than your level an XP increase (up to a certain max. and min. XP of course).

A system where every level X quest gets Y XP would also work, like a level 5 quest getting you 500 XP for example while a level 10 quest gives you 1000 XP (just and example made up, no elaborate system behind that) though I can understand why they didn't do it considering the XP calculations would get really messy in this case and I understand it is easier to have every level require a certain similar number of XP and keeping the quests of your level on a certain average number of XP. It makes the design process easier.

Like I said though, the method like I mentioned it, being a slightly altered method of what we have at the moment, would be what I prefer, a system where every quest gets you XP but quests above your level get you MORE (up to a certain max.) and quests below you get you gradually less XP (up to a certain min. XP).

I shall try and see if I can explain it so you can understand.

In order to go from being green to being grey, it depends on how many lelvels difference there are between you and the quest right?
Now, in order to go to the next level, you need a certain amount of xp.

If the next level goal is 100 points away and a main gives 50 xp, then you need two mains to get to that next level. If a side quest gave 25xp then you would need to do four side quests to get to the same level as 2 mains? With me so far?

So, there is 'no' difference between doing four side quests or two main quests. Both arrive at the same place and both grey out at the same time XP wise.

Your problem doesn't exist. It is an imaginary concept. Your level isn't affected, it just takes more side quests to get there than main quests.

Last edited:
@FreeFall24 @Ravici In the end, the way I look at it, I never saw this as a problem or something to be fixed. In the end I love the game and can't stop playing it (which I am right now, using this an excuse to get some real life work done lol)

It's just many fans didn't see the sense in it making it more of a subjective issue, the game MAKES you do other quests so that you level up and don't rush the main story, which is supposed to be enjoyed same as exploring and hunting like a witcher.

@Marcin Momot tweeted they are doing something about this after taking account into fan feedback (I myself didn't notice this until he did so, which perhaps made more people talk more about this), and I continue to applaud CDP for catering to fans.
I'd like to point out we should remember it's their game which we enjoy and love, we should be rather grateful someone actually listens to all this unlike most others. The Witcher 3 is still 10/10 in my books, and for better (or worse) this shouldn't drastically affect the experience.

If you do even 1/5th of the side quests/monster hunts you will be so grossly overleveled for the main quest that the whole game is not fun anymore.

You really have to intentionally avoid most of the game if you want a fun experience, and that's playing on the hardest difficulty setting.

If you do even 1/5th of the side quests/monster hunts you will be so grossly overleveled for the main quest that the whole game is not fun anymore.

You really have to intentionally avoid most of the game if you want a fun experience, and that's playing on the hardest difficulty setting.

What do you need all this extra XP for once you beat the story and have a level high enough for all the gear?

What do you need all this extra XP for once you beat the story and have a level high enough for all the gear?

I don't, I simply want to enjoy a good, fun, challenging game. If doing a couple of side-quests makes me too overleveled then it's not fun.
If I'm overleveled for almost all of the game, it is not fun nor challenging. And I play on the hardest setting.

i am on death march
i played very litte main quest
i played side quests 10 levels and more over my level for fun
i uncoverd almost everything on the map

now i am level 23

i have 18 grey quests
my 4 main quests are around level 12

you cant tell my i am now missing a TON of XP

it would been great if one of the loading screens told me that there was no XP for grey Quests

i dont think the rest of the quests get me to level 35 for my thopy

I don't, I simply want to enjoy a good, fun, challenging game. If doing a couple of side-quests makes me too overleveled then it's not fun.
If I'm overleveled for almost all of the game, it is not fun nor challenging. And I play on the hardest setting.

Ok good, that I understand but their XP bugs everyone's crying about will make MORE XP in the game (this up coming patch). As for the overleveling if you rush it like in a "patch" it'll be even more broken, you gotta let them do what they do best and brainstorm how to fix it where it doesn't break the game more :p. If they slowed down leveling, which they should do for a harder difficulties, the kids that are crying right now would riot. This WHOLE XP across the world and in international news is because a couple quests don't give you XP even though it's been stated 20 times it doesn't break the game.

Ok good, that I understand but their XP bugs everyone's crying about will make MORE XP in the game (this up coming patch). As for the overleveling if you rush it like in a "patch" it'll be even more broken, you gotta let them do what they do best and brainstorm how to fix it where it doesn't break the game more :p. If they slowed down leveling, which they should do for a harder difficulties, the kids that are crying right now would riot. This WHOLE XP across the world and in international news is because a couple quests don't give you XP even though it's been stated 20 times it doesn't break the game.

I think reducing XP across the board from a 1 multiplier to a 0.6 or maybe 0.7 multiplier will fix most of the game, but only starting after level 3 (before that it's still all tutorial mode and you need the xp)

My problem is that I am already very overleveled for the main quest, and yet I have almost completely ignored monster hunts and only did about half of the secondary quests. It makes no sense at all.
My map is also FILLED with ? marks, so if I went to a few of those I would become even more insanely overleveled. IT doesn't seem to make much sense

Regardless of difficulty setting. Just have people play the damn game. What is the point of a game that's designed especially so that you DON'T PLAY most of it?!?! Design it so that you DO play most of it, so that you do more of the side-quests. It's a simple 'volume knob' thing.

EDIT: I would further downscale XP from monsters, because just exploring ? marks even without doing quests can lead you to grey out most quests... It's really strange design

Last edited:
I think reducing XP across the board from a 1 multiplier to a 0.6 or maybe 0.7 multiplier will fix most of the game, but only starting after level 3 (before that it's still all tutorial mode and you need the xp)

My problem is that I am already very overleveled for the main quest, and yet I have almost completely ignored monster hunts and only did about half of the secondary quests. It makes no sense at all.
My map is also FILLED with ? marks, so if I went to a few of those I would become even more insanely overleveled. IT doesn't seem to make much sense

Regardless of difficulty setting. Just have people play the damn game. What is the point of a game that's designed especially so that you DON'T PLAY most of it?!?! Design it so that you DO play most of it, so that you do more of the side-quests. It's a simple 'volume knob' thing.

I really dig this approach and for me it would work out very well. I heard DM you get less but I'm so far not seeing it. If I could have quests give only half of what they do now and grey quests kept on giving 0 I think I could hit a sweet spot (on level or at least most would remain green) for my competitionist nature with my realism playstyle.

I really dig this approach and for me it would work out very well. I heard DM you get less but I'm so far not seeing it. If I could have quests give only half of what they do now and grey quests kept on giving 0 I think I could hit a sweet spot (on level or at least most would remain green) for my competitionist nature with my realism playstyle.

Another approach, I think, is to:
1) remove all the super advanced bomb/potion/oil schematics from RANDOM SACKS AND CRATES (forcing you to find and purchase them for high price)
2) drastically reduce random loot (by about 75%). Right now random loot makes crafting silly because you can get ultra rare crafted items like dragon skin in a grain sack.
3) maybe raise quest gold rewards a little to offset if it's too much. (right now you can get most of your money by selling all the rubies and emeralds you get in grain sacks)
4) Enemies only drop VERY broken items (99% broken armor and weapons), so that selling them is not beneficial and fixing them if you want to use them is very expensive. (Right now you get your best equipment from random drops. It's not necessary to craft or use schematics at all, really)

This is in addition to reducing overall XP gain, and will make it so that economy matters. Might make the game a bit more difficult

There is way more XP available than is really required to get you to target level at endgame if you do a lot of XP rewarding activities outside the main quest line. I'd be inclined to reduce the XP on the main quest line (the big payouts) a little bit. The downside of that would be that you would have to do side activities or be under levelled for the main quest. Have diminishing XP for grey stuff rather than none.

There are numerous variables that can be tweaked to compensate for giving some exp for grey quests.

Another approach, I think, is to:
1) remove all the super advanced bomb/potion/oil schematics from RANDOM SACKS AND CRATES (forcing you to find and purchase them for high price)
2) drastically reduce random loot (by about 75%). Right now random loot makes crafting silly because you can get ultra rare crafted items like dragon skin in a grain sack.
3) maybe raise quest gold rewards a little to offset if it's too much. (right now you can get most of your money by selling all the rubies and emeralds you get in grain sacks)
4) Enemies only drop VERY broken items (99% broken armor and weapons), so that selling them is not beneficial and fixing them if you want to use them is very expensive. (Right now you get your best equipment from random drops. It's not necessary to craft or use schematics at all, really)

This is in addition to reducing overall XP gain, and will make it so that economy matters. Might make the game a bit more difficult

Agreed on random stuff, but ..
4) its not costly to repair armor, but repair kit for 40g or something like that ! in addition i have like 30,000 gold so repair is not an issue. and enemy don't drop good armor, good armor u get from crafting witcher armor, at least with my griffin one i stayed since level 7 and now im lvl 17 with enhanced griffin armor.

i think they should give XP based on level so if u finish quest lvl 10 and ur lvl 20 u'll get 100 xp but if ur lvl 10 u'll get 300 xp or something like that ... give XP according to the challenge u faced

Top Bottom