Nobody Seems To Be Raving About FPP

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
you don't see your character as part of the game world
But you do on her motorcycle! I'm being tongue and cheek here, but there will be times you can see your V in gameplay. I get that it's not enough for everyone, but that's the sacrifice the devs made to better serve some other design decisions.

Cyberpunk 2077 will be mostly in first person perspective, with TPP in optionally while driving. For those concerned about seeing your customized V, you’ll also be able to see the player character in the inventory, in mirrors, very occasionally in cutscenes, and possibly in a planned photo mode. CDPR choose the first-person point of view for a few reasons. First, in the thick of action gameplay, it allows players to see things happening up close as the character, so that V can really interact with things in a visceral manner. Also, there were narrative-based considerations to make. The FPP camera helps to place the player into the interactive dialogue, the story and the environments that CDPR are creating. To really experience that verticality of Night City, you need a first-person perspective. Finally, the HUD is incorporated into the FPP so that V is seeing everything the player sees.

CDPR are aware that not everyone likes FPP. However they are firm in that decision. Having said that, they are very aware that there are a some people who can’t play first-person for a variety of reasons. CDPR is looking into offering difficulty options and sensibility options to hopefully manage to turn Cyberpunk 2077 in the first first-person game that some of those people will like, or that some will be able to play. For example, FOV will be adjustable for PC (no official word yet on consoles). There will also be options to disable bobble-head mode and motion blur on V's vision.

Those things CDPR wanted to emphasize - interactive dialogue, the verticality and density of the city, making the action fast paced and in your face, the way the HUD works etc are all things that the previews & impressions had largely thought were somewhere between good and great.

Last edited:
I've watched/read some impressions where people said they love how you can freely move the camera to look at things during conversations and in some cases you can perform contextual actions can alter the conversations (like you're able to try and take the gun from Meredith's bodyguard when she gives you the chip... it doesn't end well unless you're higher level I think).

I'd imagine that requires some precision. Think of a scenario where you can pick between grabbing someone's gun to turn the tables and interogate (looking at their gun) or stabbing them thus killing them right off (looking at his chest/abdomen) with contextual conversation options . I know it's a very specific example but you get my point: first person gives you more precision.

And don't get me wrong, I'd love to have 3rd person option, I really do... to the point that I genuinely wonder why they put so many visual customization options especially for the face instead of having 1 preset face (like Geralt) per gender.

I play Skyrim and Fallout 4 in 3rd person 95% of the time... unless I have to pick stuff up. And by the sound of it it requires that kind of precision when you're talking to people. I don't fully approve of their decision but I'm more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt because, apart from the gameplay opportunities it opens, when done correctly first person can be very very immersive (see the Thief series).

I don't think you'll see many previewers commenting on FPP simply because the perspective of a game isn't usually something up for criticism or debate. It got criticized here, obviously, and caused a fuss awhile back but I'd imagine the typical previewer wasn't bothered or even really in the loop as to the feelings some people had.

Personally, I'd no more expect the average previewer to comment on FPP than I would to have them make a comment like, 'Let me give you my impressions of TPP in Ghosts of Tsushima - it works brilliantly! They certainly made the right choice and it fits the style of game so well'.

Nefla

Forum regular
I sure wish I could discuss this but the topic is forbidden and I'm shocked the thread hasn't been locked/deleted yet. Long story short, it goes to show how desperate I am for a game that appeals to me even a little bit that I'm considering an FPS with RPG elements at all. I hate FPP with the firey passion of 1000 burning suns. :ROFLMAO:

I thought any mention was immediately shut down.
There was a time when that was the policy ... like over a year ago. But that was after 4-5 threads straight of the same people being mean to each other. After things calmed down we let them pop up again from time to time if there's been new info (like in the News Wire last week). So it's here again! Until things go round and round or get mean.

Now back to topic.

Because perspective is insignificant if you enjoying the game :shrug:

Minus perspective actually have to let you enjoy the game before becoming insignificant.
Post automatically merged:

And all this beauty is presented to you through V's eyes. Beautiful.

Poor V, I didn't know.
I'm fairly sure you can get a detailed look at your character any time you feel like it in the inventory screen.

Well, to be fair if it's not in the surrounding of the game it's just a doll.

Last edited:
To be frank the FPP that i seen in the videos that was shown is just a normal FPP perspective that to me is not immersive at all when you have games like Mirrors edge or Even Arma3 that makes first person truly first person with the cam on the character head and not in the torso.

I overall felt like the FPP in cyberpunk 2077 is arcadeish nothing to be impressed about.

[...]

I'd like to play as a character similar to the Twins in the brawling champion quest line. 4th person perspective; Group perspective FTW!

The first-person camera is OK and all until we get to melee combat...then it looks like the mistake I was expecting. But it is what it is...after seeing the kind of unarmed melee combat animations some other developers are putting out currently, I'd probably opt to go with first-person as well. It's easier to take the path of least resistance.

Nefla

Forum regular
I'll give my opinion then :3

I think the reason the FPP isn't being talked about is because game journalists/reviewers are used to playing both types of games. It's neither a negative for them nor anything special to note.

This late in the process there's no chance of anything being added or changed so my only hope is that all the other aspects of the game are so amazing that they make up for the perspective which is a huge negative for me.

I'm the opposite end of the spectrum; I can't play Fallout 4 or Skyrim in 3rd person even though it's an option. It feels wonky to me.

From a 4 hour prologue/tutorials in a preview build, not the finished game.
Yeah, a lot of people are acting like this is the full game. Like with the complaints about melee and gunplay. I think it was confirmed you're going to be mediocre at things until you practice and put points in the skill. Same with the way V handles a weapon.

And everybody who played the game felt like that hardly scratched the surface. It's way too early to judge it.

Yeah, a lot of people are acting like this is the full game. Like with the complaints about melee and gunplay. I think it was confirmed you're going to be mediocre at things until you practice and put points in the skill. Same with the way V handles a weapon.

Are you impliying that I would be better than V at fighting with a Katana?
That's very nice of you.

It has become irrelevant and the community now has to move on. You have this issue people are still arguing about since the demo in 2018. There are more pressing problems we have to worry about like the melee combat, content in the upcoming DLCs, deleted features, etc.

Cyberpunk 2077 can't change that or they would have to delay the game at least by an year. Not every game is perfect. Not even Star Citizen.

Guest 3573786

Why would they rave about it; it's not as if they were given a 3rd person to compare it to. You dont see reviewers playing other FP games and losing their minds over how good being in first person it feels. It's just... there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom