Noclip's The Witcher Documentary Series

+

Guest 4205021

from what I've heard about the author i cant help but think his ego is gonna get in the way of a great show trying to prove something. but i'm looking forward to be proven wrong.

Noclip's The Witcher Documentary Series

Today marks the beginning of Noclip's six-part documentary series about CD Projekt RED and The Witcher Series. New episodes will be released over the next two weeks. I'll be tracking and linking the videos here. For those interested, feel free to join in the conversation.

Below are the collected episodes:

Episode I: The Story of CD Projekt

Episode II: Remembering The Witcher 1 & 2

Episode III: Designing the World of The Witcher 3

[video=youtube;oSS5T4od-GQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSS5T4od-GQ[/video]

Episode IV: The Quests of Wild Hunt [Caution: Spoilers]

Episode V: Found in Translation

Episode VI: Devil's in the Details

Last edited:
Ok..ok

Impressive first episode..

I thought my fan level was max before...

the meter bar just extended

:cheers:

I've been into gaming for a long time as well ..from floppy discs to firesticks and everything in between...

and I have NEVER heard of games being able to be Broad cast over the radio air waves and recorded

mind blown ...lol

TheShift;n9646941 said:
I have NEVER heard of games being able to be Broad cast over the radio air waves and recorded
Neither had I. It's a fascinating detail from gaming and radio history. Highly educational.

Next episode releases tomorrow (Wednesday).

sv3672

Forum veteran
TheShift;n9646941 said:
and I have NEVER heard of games being able to be Broad cast over the radio air waves and recorded

In the 8-bit era, when games were very small (like tens of KB instead of tens of GB like today), it was a common practice to sell them on cassettes. Of course, similar sized data encoded as audio can also be broadcast over radio, it is just not something developers or publishers would want if they did not intend the game to be given away for free.

I totaly get it..and completly see that it was possible to do in that era logistically ... copying a floppy disc was an amazing thing late 80s..lol

but doing it over airwaves is next level that in the u.s. if it was a thing,I was in the dark on it (and I thought I knew things then) because most had never ran a line of code to make something go from point a to point b..lol

Last edited:

A small glimpse into the often stressful development of The Witcher, and Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings.
In spite of many obstacles, CDPR managed to deliver these remarkable games.

A Question: For those who have played CDPR's original The Witcher, how did you first hear about it, or even find it, and what do you remember most about the game?

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

Riven-Twain;n9651961 said:
A Question: For those who have played CDPR's original The Witcher, how did you first hear about it, or even find it

A friend recommended it to me (along with some other games), few weeks later free Enhanced Edition upgrade came out and scored 97/100 in Serbian computer magazine I read, checking out Kear Morhen prologue section on YT finally sealed the deal.

what do you remember most about the game?

1. atmosphere, soundtrack and unmistakable Slavic "feel"
2. the way choices and consequences were implemented
3. Lakeside chapter

A Question: For those who have played CDPR's original The Witcher, how did you first hear about it, or even find it, and what do you remember most about the game?

It was half a year after its release. I was browsing some RPG forum and saw a thread about The Witcher. I looked in and gamers there were discussing whom they ploughed in the game and were posting pictures. Americans were complaining about censorship. So, my initial thought was that some unknown Polish devs developed a new "Leisure Suite Larry" game and was not in a rush to get it but then there was one post that took my attention. It stated "C'mon, even if you remove all sex from this game it's still the best RPG since Fallout 2", and some people somewhat agreed to that statement, then there was a statement that some people cannot make a decision helping smugglers or not because it's impossible to see an immediate consequence. I decided to give it a try. In any case, my expectations were very low and I was pleasantly surprised by its content.

What I liked: its dark medieval atmosphere, a soundtrack, grey morality and delayed consequences, the protagonist is not "a chosen one", the alchemy system that was useful and user friendly (it's still the best in comparison to TW2 and TW3), Lakeside was the best chapter of the game (everything is awesome about it, only Hearts of Stone beats it by the atmosphere), Shani's party quest was great and plays differently depending whom you invite, no junk items in the inventory and rarity of equipment upgrade (I hate hoarding items, and upgrade a sword every 5 min).

For myself, I came across The Witcher quite by accident. I was browsing GOG.com, and noticed an RPG which was not a cartoon, nor featured a muscle-bound pinhead, wielding a blade twice his size, nor a young, inexperienced peasant as the protagonist. The setting appeared refreshingly serious, realistic enough, measured in its proportions, and mediaeval, yet was still fantasy. Intrigued, I gave it a whirl. Granted, there were elements and locations which did not always appeal to me (Wyzima and the Swamps can become rather wearisome after a while); however, the music, the story, attention to detail, and, of course, the character of Geralt impressed me.

What intrigued me most, though, was the concept of witchers: Professional monster-slayers, created to defend humanity, and endowed with the power to do so. The question of how Geralt should use that power, and his responsibility as an individual possessing it still fascinates me. This shone out from amidst all other aspects of the story and its world.

The Witcher has often been described as 'uniquely Polish' in its atmosphere. I still don't know if this is true or not (since I'm no expert on Polish atmosphere). Yet, to me, as a mediaevalist, the game seemed to have a recognisable, grim mediaeval European environment, which appealed to me. As I played, I recognised motifs and references to tales, myths, and legends from across Europe which I knew from my studies. Even if there were numerous modern elements thrown into the world -- often humorously -- these didn't detract terribly from the atmosphere. The developers had crafted their world well. In particular, the music helped to build and maintain a sense of location -- a spirit even -- especially in the Outskirts, and at the Lakeside.

As others have observed, the Lakeside and Murky Waters were a memorable reprieve from the plague-ridden Outskirts, embattled Wyzima, and the monster-infested Swamps. The Lady of the Lake's domain shall remain one of my favourites, as will her character, not merely because of her place in Arthurian mythology, but also for the enchanting aura which surrounded her. Her gift to Geralt, and the oath which accompanied it, elevated the White Wolf into another, higher realm -- a realm I knew very well.

All in all, a combination of mystery, music, setting, ethical questions of 'heroism', and an engaging tale captured, and held, my attention in The Witcher, and made me curious to learn more. . .

Last edited:
Episode III: Designing The World of The Witcher 3

[video=youtube;oSS5T4od-GQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSS5T4od-GQ[/video]

An informative tour of the challenges of creating and populating an engaging, living, open world, as well as the personal touches, glitches, lore consistency, and occasionally overlooked details of this collaborative process. (And, yes, Skellige's Smugglers' Caches are an issue.)

Last edited:

The funny thing is I never heard about the Witcher . I would look at pc games in Walmart once in a while . I noticed this black box with just a wolf's head on it picked it up looked at it said to my self " looks interesting . " As things go I put it down went about my business about a month later saw that box staring at me and said what the hell . Still to this day one of the best purchases of a video game that I didn't see or hear anything about .

The most memorable moment for the Witcher wasn't actually a moment so much as how fast the environment and atmosphere sucked you in . I will add this though my favorite area was the fields just the artistry of the area was unlike anything I had seen before . Yes Lakeside is very memorable too . This is what I like that the developers did in Witcher 3 was give some of the feel of Witcher 1 back .

Last edited:
dmcaldw;n9663331 said:
The most memorable moment for the Witcher wasn't actually a moment so much as how fast the environment and atmosphere sucked you in .
Quite so. I found the area of the Outskirts, with their fields, inn, village, and the riverside of Wyzima especially engaging. Being the second location Geralt encounters, this place drew me into the world rather effectively.

Have not seen the 3rd episode yet... found the 2nd very informative ... Good on Bio ware !

ill find time tonight to watch this one :cheers:

I have often wondered about that lone tree... now I know why it's there. Hilarious!

Halfway through the series, it keeps getting better and better. :D

Top Bottom